Time for new tires(or tyres)!!

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, my Pirelli Angels are almost worn out and I am out shopping for the next set of tires for my bike. Have run Metzeler Z8 earlier, long life but dull rides. Pirellis have been fun, less mileage though. Both tires have not had any issue with grip - dry or wet - for my riding style, although Pirellis have been the most fun. I am now thinking of trying the BT-016 Hypersport - especially since they would cost ~$140 after rebates. What do you guys think? I just want to try out how pure sport tires feel with the bike.

Any recommendation within the Sport tire category is welcome!!

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
So, my Pirelli Angels are almost worn out and I am out shopping for the next set of tires for my bike. Have run Metzeler Z8 earlier, long life but dull rides. Pirellis have been fun, less mileage though. Both tires have not had any issue with grip - dry or wet - for my riding style, although Pirellis have been the most fun. I am now thinking of trying the BT-016 Hypersport - especially since they would cost ~$140 after rebates. What do you guys think? I just want to try out how pure sport tires feel with the bike.

Any recommendation within the Sport tire category is welcome!!

Not sure what category they're in but the PR4 & PR3's are great in the rain and the dry. On my 3rd set I got anywhere from 13k-16k in each set. Well worth the $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone through Metz Z8s, Pilot Road2s and am now on BT23s.
Pilot Road2s are by far my favorite for non-track use. Would not hesitate to go to PR4 if PR2 was not available.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Rajesh, after a long time;
For road and track with lots of life and aggressive riding: Pilot Road 3 or 4(lasts around 12k-17k miles);
More aggressive, mostly track: Michelin Pilot Power 3(lasts more than 7k miles) or Dunlop Q3(lasts around 5k miles);
then comes the MetZ, Angel GT.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had good results from the BT-016 pro but I eat the rear in about 4000 miles. I usually wear 2 rears to one front. At the price they're going for that's a good deal. I'm going with a BT-016 on the front and T-30 on the rear now. I get good grip from the T-30 and I'm getting close to two times the wear on the rear compared to the BT-016 pro on the rear. Profile is the same so the front and back work great together.

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response guys. I see that the majority would vote for Michelin Road series, although I am more biased towards the Sport category and not the Sport touring that the PR's belong to (I maybe wrong). The reason I am trying this out is to see if I really need to move up to 1000cc bikes(GSX1000/Ninja Z1000SX) or if the fizzer is good enough if provided with stickier set of shoes. Also like Cliff mentioned, they is a good deal on BT-016 pair at ~$140 and I could shell out a bit more and get myself the tire changing tool too. This way I can put one set of Sticky rubber every year for the same cost of Sport touring every other year.

I have got time till Nov30 until the rebate lasts. Any other "Sport" tires I could try out (Pirelli Corsas?)?

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand how you guys get such mileage out of tyres. Battlax lasted 4k, pr3's did 5k, pr4's 5.5k, and that's considered pretty average over here?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've run 3 sets of BT-016 Pros front w/ BT-023 on the rear. The back may step out in the rain but its fun combo. I throw them away both are past the wear bars on the tires side not the center.
Fun tires with good feedback. But you'll never see 16,000 mi from them. Not here, not how I ride.

Next set is Dunlop Q3... they'll last a season I hope!

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've run 3 sets of BT-016 Pros front w/ BT-023 on the rear. The back may step out in the rain but its fun combo. I throw them away both are past the wear bars on the tires side not the center.
Fun tires with good feedback. But you'll never see 16,000 mi from them. Not here, not how I ride.

Next set is Dunlop Q3... they'll last a season I hope!

I see this preference of BT-016 Pro Fronts to a different rear tire - is it because of low mileage from the rears? How are BT-023s for both Front and rear? The 40$ rebate is on both BT-016 and BT-023. As long as the sticky tires last a season, I am good.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see this preference of BT-016 Pro Fronts to a different rear tire - is it because of low mileage from the rears? How are BT-023s for both Front and rear? The 40$ rebate is on both BT-016 and BT-023. As long as the sticky tires last a season, I am good.

For me it's the 2 rears to one front wear ratio I get. I don't think the compounds have that great a difference for me in the climate conditions I ride. I'm almost exclusively in dry weather when I ride and the sun on the tarmac helps give quicker warm ups. If I were getting paid the to better times around a track then I would afford the stickier, quicker warming BT-16 pro. The T-30 rear and BT-16 pro front combo is good for me. The T-30 EVO may have a little stiffer carcass but it sticks great in the turns and the wear is good for me. Again the profiles mate so it's been a successful combination for me.
Others may want to stay toward other brands/types according to personal riding experience, climate and terrain requirements.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a pure riding experience, I recommend pirelli rosso II / III to you. I've used 15.000 kms on rear, 20000 kms on front (rosso2) and it's gripping like super glue.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The 23's might be ok but I've never ran one on the front. The 016 are very sticky and work well in this area but don't stand up well to chip tar roads.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a pure riding experience, I recommend pirelli rosso II / III to you. I've used 15.000 kms on rear, 20000 kms on front (rosso2) and it's gripping like super glue.

Yes, Pirelli is one of the choices but are you sure the Rosso 2/3 lasted 15000 kms? That is more than what my current Pirelli Angels have on them and they are already due for replacement.

The 23's might be ok but I've never ran one on the front. The 016 are very sticky and work well in this area but don't stand up well to chip tar roads.

Thanks for the response, I think I will try the BT-016 Pros out and find out.

Looking at the calendar, I dont think I will have them on before the freeze hits us. So, is it a good idea to mount the new tires and let them freeze (or close to freeze) in the garage or just keep them indoors and mount them next Spring?

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been a life long Michellin user, over 100k miles on them. I'm currently running the PP3's on my FZ6, and the PR4's on the Ducati.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing many a warehouse is not heated and the cool temps are not harmful as UV and/or summer exposure.

The only big draw back is mounting and not riding could later reveal a balance issue and if that is 4+ months from now they may not be eager to correct it.

JM2C.. .. ..

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing many a warehouse is not heated and the cool temps are not harmful as UV and/or summer exposure.

The only big draw back is mounting and not riding could later reveal a balance issue and if that is 4+ months from now they may not be eager to correct it.

JM2C.. .. ..

Good call!! But with the front tire almost bald on the right hand side, I think I will take the gamble before the strings start showing on them. Gotta mount them soon and test for a few rides before putting the bike away for the winter.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the 'stones mounted - what a pain with the rear tire side wall being so stiff!! Hope it lasts atleast one season as I think replacing them will cause a lot of cursing. Now, I used to run pretty low pressure on the pirelli (25psi front/28psi rear I think) . What do you guys with the Bridgestones' run?

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, since the post, I have tried (psi)
- 25f/28r based on my previous setting which gave me confidence on the Angels, felt same as the old tires, no feeling of slipping etc. It was also in damp conditions when I put the new tires on, so it was a good thing to not feel any sliding because of new tires.
- 28f/32r this morning and was surprised at the amount of grip and road feel with no feeling of any slipping.
- 32f/36r in the afternoon based on the oem label on the swing arm. This too had no feeling of slip/slide or any harshness/bumpiness in the ride. I remember that both Metzeler Z8 and Pirelli Angels got a bit harsh going over bumps and never felt planted in the middle of turns. Now though, the BT016s show no/less feeling of slide at this psi and feel very natural going into turns.

So, I am planning on keeping them as is until I see how they work on wet roads. Now onto adjusting the compression/rebound!!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must be doing something weird, because I only get 6k out of T30 Evos if I'm lucky, and my front wears the same or faster than the rear.