Tires that fit and Reviews.

Red 2007

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my Metzeler M3's via eBay/UPS today. I bought my bike used on eBay, and the former owner was obviously a hamfisted fatass...the OEM's were worn out at 3300 miles and 10 PSI low. The Metzelers appear to be a very nicely made tire - can't wait to mount 'em up. The Metzeler website suggests a slight variation in tire pressures, (based upon vehicle loading) from the stock tire inflations recommended in the manual. Anyone else see this on other tire brands?

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to replace my rear OEM Dunlop D252 the New Dunlop Roadsmart Dual Compound tire ($170 installed at a shop that was reffered to me for havin best prices around). Man this thing is awesome! In the twisties it handles like a dream, very sticky on the sides, harder in the center. I think its a Sport Touring tire. Great improvment over the stock. On the front i have my OEM BT20 which is getting close to being done for. I'll get a RoadSmart as well to replace it. I'll see how milage is for the Roadsmart. My D252 lasted about 4000miles.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have these

Michelin Pilot Power

but i have a version called "2CT"

it has a different and softer compound along the edges and down the centre is a harder longer-lasting compound. works very well i have yet to slip. im a noob so i prob wouldnt slip anyway, but it is very comforting to know that when my tires are warmed up i have the best traction available to me. they were pricey tho but the peace of mind was worth it.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I had Bridgestone BT-010's ... very nice grip, but wore out really fast.

Moved to the BT-054 now, happy so far, they're apparently the long distance tyres. Squaring off already though, so i'm watching them.

Trouble

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on a set of M1's The grip is great - wet or dry. I got the new rear tire in early April. Did an extremely wet track day at the end of April and had no tire complaints. They stuck like glue (till I screwed up). I ride pretty hard on the street, and the rear tire is almost down to the wear bars. It's barely even squared off. Gotta say I like that. I'm going to get maybe 3500 miles out of this rear tire, and I'm not super excited about that. I have a short commute though, so most of my ridiing is spirited weekend rides with "real" sport bikes so I'm hard on the throttle/brakes.

I'm very interested in this thread as I'll be needing a new set of sticky "shoes" soon.

Ashley

Reaction score
Visit site
alex,

i'm sure the scorpion sync would work great. I use dunlop d616 and ride all winter long in southern indiana on the narliest roads, both dirt and asphalt. My fz6 gives those gs 800's anything, especially when it comes to fast twisty's. Serious, though, it is a very underated tire. It was made for the buell ulyssis and lasts well for a decent price.

ashley

coachestabrook

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just hit 10,000 miles on a set of Michelin Power Pilot 2TCs and love these tires. I bought my bike in Feb '09 with 3300 miles and plenty of tread on the stock tires. Since I had not ridden in 25+ years, I was not hard on the tires, as I was kind of a wuss on the bike. By July, right at 8,000 miles, the stock back tire was shot.

I put the Michelins on at the suggestion of the mechanics at Family Power Sports. $400 bucks installed. I live in the country and get to travel 40 miles RT everyday on a twisty, hilly, two-lane country road that seems to have been invented by God himself for bikes like the FZ6. I ride most of the road at speeds between 85 and 100 miles per hour. I have never felt the least bit concerned riding through these curves posted at 40-50 mph at speeds of 80-90 mph. The grip is fantastic and the wear is remarkable.

As I noted above, the stock rear tire was shot at 8k- no, I never do burnouts- but after 10K miles on the Power Pilot 2TCs, I still have at least 50% tread left. Good grip in the rain too. I guarantee that when I need to replace these tires, I will be putting the same back on.

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just hit 10,000 miles on a set of Michelin Power Pilot 2TCs and love these tires. I bought my bike in Feb '09 with 3300 miles and plenty of tread on the stock tires. Since I had not ridden in 25+ years, I was not hard on the tires, as I was kind of a wuss on the bike. By July, right at 8,000 miles, the stock back tire was shot.

I put the Michelins on at the suggestion of the mechanics at Family Power Sports. $400 bucks installed. I live in the country and get to travel 40 miles RT everyday on a twisty, hilly, two-lane country road that seems to have been invented by God himself for bikes like the FZ6. I ride most of the road at speeds between 85 and 100 miles per hour. I have never felt the least bit concerned riding through these curves posted at 40-50 mph at speeds of 80-90 mph. The grip is fantastic and the wear is remarkable.

As I noted above, the stock rear tire was shot at 8k- no, I never do burnouts- but after 10K miles on the Power Pilot 2TCs, I still have at least 50% tread left. Good grip in the rain too. I guarantee that when I need to replace these tires, I will be putting the same back on.

+1

just got a pair of these fitted last saturday. The guys at the shop reckon they're 2nd only to the pirellis

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
Just replaced the stock Dunlops that came with my 2008 FZ6. They had about 8900 miles on them. Although neither tire was down to the wear marks, the nail that appeared one morning in the rear tire convinced me it was time.

The guy at the dealership near where I work recommended the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT dual compound tire for the replacement. I rode the 32 mile trip home with the new 2CT on the rear while the front was still sporting the original Dunlop.

The rear grip was so good, it was actually pushing the moderately worn Dunlop in the corners. The next morning I went back to the shop and had them replace the front tire too.

After a few hundred miles, I can say these are great tires, light, easy to roll into turns and stand back up, hip flip direction changes are almost telepathic, and did I mention they're real sticky, too?

At $425 installed, they were a little pricey, but then again I wasn't in a position to shop around.

kananaskis

Reaction score
Visit site
I had been running Michelin Pilot Roads for years and always managed to have great wear and handling...
Then I made a mistake and bought a set of Bridgestone (Slipstone) Bt-021's.
WORST POS tire I have ever ridden on.
Front began cupping at 3000 Km... Tires were manufactured in late 09 and put on January 2010. Stored inside for the winter and never exposed.
I have managed to pull just over 7000 Km out of the set and they have worn brutally. Absolute garbage tires IMO... the grip (lack thereof) on wet roads left me wanting to beat the Bridgestone dealer into a coma... :Flip: Nothing like washing out the front end on average breaking on a wet road (no oil or crap on the road, raining for a day and a half solid so any surface oils etc were long washed away, no paint lines, 2 year old asphalt with no tar snakes... )
Time to go back to Michelin and run the new Pilot 2cts.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At $425 installed, they were a little pricey, but then again I wasn't in a position to shop around.

Wow, I paid $280 installed for mine here in Vegas. Not sure if that was OTD though. I currently have 16,000 miles on mine and I am not even close to the wear marks, but they do appear that it's close to retirement. They tend to lose it's grip over time.

I got 17,000 miles on my last pair, until I picked up a nail. I'm planning to go on my West Coast Trip up to Canada in a couple of weeks that should put my tires over 18,000 miles. I have kind of reserved in the back of my mind that I may get my tires changed in Oregon, as there is no sales tax.

Missy B

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say a big thanks for this thread. I needed tires for the FZ and this thread was very helpful. Went with PR2s and I'm very happy to have replaced the crappy stock Bridgestones with them! Way more confidence-inspiring and the ride is much better. Amazing how much those tires can make a difference.

tomandreann

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tires for Dust to Dawson

Anyone have a suggestion for tires that will survive Dust to Dawson? I am on Conti Road Attacks that are about 5 yrs old, have no idea how many miles since they were on when I bought the bike. But the Conti's just look too slick in general to handle the ~100 miles of dirt/gravel/possibly mud at the end of Top of the World Highway going in to Dawson. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5 year old tyres are dangerous!
Buy new tyres immediately.

There are many threads. Try the search function.

I use Z8 Interacts and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dave.TX

Going from a Shinko 011 in the rear to a Bridgestone BT-023. The Shinko did OK, was on there when I bought the bike. Corners really well for my novice abilities but is squaring off after 6,000 miles. With little grooving only on the sides I don't trust them in wet weather, it's like riding with a race slick. The 023's are fairly new, replacing 021's that didn't have such a good rep. Lots of folks love the 023's so figure they're a less expensive alternative to Michelin PR3's and fairly comparable. Ordered online but won't see the tire for a week. I'll give a report when I get it. Also considered the Metzeler Z8 Interact.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
So i'll never buy bridgestone again, as i said, the BT010's wear out crazy fast, and the BT054 both wear out under 10k (km) and is SLIPPERY, pretty much all the time.

Enter Pirelli. Got a ex track set of the Diablos, oh WOW man, beautiful!!! lasted about 5k (KM). Didn't even square off too bad, but i ride highway mostly, so use only a little of the sides.

Replaced now with Pirelli Angel ST's wow omfg ZOOM. ok?

Got a really nice deal too, will never buy bridgestones again.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
5 years shouldn't be too much on a tire. Most manufacturers say to replace by 7 years of age. Of course this is based on average use, which does not include burning the tire or pulling wheelies or corning at rates double the speed limit.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
5 years shouldn't be too much on a tire. Most manufacturers say to replace by 7 years of age. Of course this is based on average use, which does not include burning the tire or pulling wheelies or corning at rates double the speed limit.

Everything I've screen and read says 5 years is about the absolute max

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tires for Dust to Dawson

Anyone have a suggestion for tires that will survive Dust to Dawson? I am on Conti Road Attacks that are about 5 yrs old, have no idea how many miles since they were on when I bought the bike. But the Conti's just look too slick in general to handle the ~100 miles of dirt/gravel/possibly mud at the end of Top of the World Highway going in to Dawson. Thanks in advance for your help!

Check out the Pirelli Scorpion Trails. They're the stock tires for the Ducati Multistrada & come in the correct size for our FZ6s. I think they're the only tires offered in our sizes that even have a hint of off-road ability.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
After doing some looking, I have seen 4, 5, 6, and 7 years. Problem is this is all by sources other THAN the manufacturers. The best I could find from manufacturers is recommended replacement at 6 years.
I know Bridgestone had a pdf at one time that said 7 years but that was a couple years ago. I think it comes down to how a person rides and the condition of the tire. My fz is an 06 and has the oem tires. Well they are staying on till next summer. I rode with 9+ year old tires on my cb. Before that, I rode bikes with tires of unknown age off some nice jumps!:D

But, it is your safety so you replace tires as you feel required. I don't expect people to do what I do.

Last edited: