Tires that fit and Reviews.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i am running a set of new pirellis (diablo i think?) front and rear and i have noticed while cornering the back end likes to slide out it worries me and makes me nervous to corner, is this normal for this tire? is there a cure, or is this a highway tire? meaning harder compound?:confused:

MorbidBBQ

Reaction score
Visit site
Pirelli Angel

My Pirelli Angel Rear tire (180/55 r13) lasted 22 months, and 7500 miles.
3/4 just me (<200lbs)
1/4 of that with a passenger (~330lbs loaded).

Going to try out the BT023R next. Had Pirelli Diablos on the old 250 ninja, they were good.

200 Miles ago the worst part of the tire looked like this: (No the part of the tire where the valve is)
XLuDNAB.jpg

This most worn part is opposite the tire valve. I see steel :eek:
yTZyuen.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Pirelli Angel

My Pirelli Angel Rear tire (180/55 r13) lasted 22 months, and 7500 miles.
3/4 just me (<200lbs)
1/4 of that with a passenger (~330lbs loaded).

Going to try out the BT023R next. Had Pirelli Diablos on the old 250 ninja, they were good.

200 Miles ago the worst part of the tire looked like this: (No the part of the tire where the valve is)

This most worn part is opposite the tire valve. I see steel :eek:

T-30 replaces BT-023 as a sport touring tire. Might also provide you with newer rubber... :)

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i put new tires on a few months ago as the original rubber on my used FZ6 was seven years old, old as the bike. i went with low cost but well regarded Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Tires. these were the lowest cost tires my mechanic had available and being i just got the bike and know nothing about tires i took them on his recommendation as a good budget tire. a set can be had on Amazon for $165, shipped. at current pricing, that is. my guy had 'em in stock and mounted 'em and all for $240.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Conti-Motion-Sport-Touring/dp/B001AWICDY"]Amazon.com: Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Tire - Rear - 180/55ZR-17 , Position: Rear, Tire Type: Street, Tire Construction: Radial, Tire Application: Sport, Load Rating: 73, Speed Rating: (W), Tire Size: 180/55-17, Rim Size: 17 02440350000: Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Conti-Motion-Sport-Touring/dp/B001AWLMJ0/ref=au_pf_ss_1?ie=UTF8&Make=Yamaha%7C1210&Model=FZS600%20FZ6%7C17849&Year=2007%7C2007&carId=003&n=15684181&s=automotive"]Amazon.com: Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Tire - Front - 120/70ZR-17 , Position: Front, Load Rating: 58, Speed Rating: (W), Tire Size: 120/70-17, Rim Size: 17, Tire Type: Street, Tire Application: Sport, Tire Construction: Radial 02440430000: Automotive[/ame]

so far so good after over 2500 miles of riding. they are showing little and no wear which is a good sign i suppose. and while i don't corner too aggressively or "sport ride" (twisties, track, cruise at 130mph) imo the tires are doing what they are supposed to. i lean pretty well along with the bike and the tires never feel unstable or twitchy. have not tried them in the wet as i live in a dry climate region, but on dry pavement they stick well and don't skid, skip, or get squirrely. i am hoping the little wear they show is a sign of good things to come. my guy says most tires are good for 8,000 to 12,000 miles in his experience, but some riders push them thousands of miles beyond what they should

whatever the case so far i can recommend these tires for the proactive urban rider or commuter. because that is the only sort of riding i do. more demanding riding may require a more demanding tire, but maybe not? whatever the case i will update this thread as the tires move through their tread life and let you all know what i think in the end

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well Motorrad (a well respected German motorbike magazine) has come out with their yearly tyre test (2014), and the michelin pilot road 4 has come out on top :cheer: (yup I've got 4's front and back). The 4's weren't out last year when they ran this test.

Here's the story on the German website

Here's the results:

.........................road/Highway test.. Wet test....Total....Position
Maximum possible score .150 ...................100 .......250

Michelin
Pilot Road 4 .................131 ...................94 ........225 ........1.

Continental
Road Attack 2 Evo ........136 ...................84 ........220 ........2.

Pirelli
Angel GT .....................131 ...................89 ........220 ........2.

Bridgestone
T30 ............................130 ...................84 ........214 ........4.

Dunlop
Roadsmart 2 .................128 ...................86 ........214 ........4
Metzeler
Roadtec Z8 Interact .......128 ..................84 .........212 ........6.

Avon
Storm Ultra 3D X-M ........124 ..................64 .........188 ........7.

The 4's won on their wet weather performance, which is important to me (as I ride in all weathers and it rains almost as often as the UK here ;))

Every year they use a different bike and this year they used a CB1000R

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
very interesting as the Z-8'swere rating as one of the best 2 years back.
Is it an overall improvement in the hoops that are available or that different bike/rider combos are the factor.
I am all for a safe ride, just a pity that when I had to replace my rear Z8 at the 50% mark due to a screw the PR4 wasnt really about
Oh well there will prob be a PR5 when I'm ready

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very interesting as the Z-8'swere rating as one of the best 2 years back.
Is it an overall improvement in the hoops that are available or that different bike/rider combos are the factor.
I am all for a safe ride, just a pity that when I had to replace my rear Z8 at the 50% mark due to a screw the PR4 wasnt really about
Oh well there will prob be a PR5 when I'm ready

They always say in the article that the type of bike can make a big difference, which is why they always use different bikes. This year there are several new tyres on offer. A big thing I've picked up over the years is that different people prefer different tyres for different reasons, to each their own :thumbup:

I must admit I prefer the PR 4 over both the 2 & the 3, it just seems to ride a straight line better (in addition to the other pilot road characteristics).

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Well Motorrad (a well respected German motorbike magazine) has come out with their yearly tyre test (2014), and the michelin pilot road 4 has come out on top :cheer: (yup I've got 4's front and back). The 4's weren't out last year when they ran this test.

Here's the story on the German website

Here's the results:

.........................road/Highway test.. Wet test....Total....Position
Maximum possible score .150 ...................100 .......250

Michelin
Pilot Road 4 .................131 ...................94 ........225 ........1.

Continental
Road Attack 2 Evo ........136 ...................84 ........220 ........2.

Pirelli
Angel GT .....................131 ...................89 ........220 ........2.

Bridgestone
T30 ............................130 ...................84 ........214 ........4.

Dunlop
Roadsmart 2 .................128 ...................86 ........214 ........4
Metzeler
Roadtec Z8 Interact .......128 ..................84 .........212 ........6.

Avon
Storm Ultra 3D X-M ........124 ..................64 .........188 ........7.

The 4's won on their wet weather performance, which is important to me (as I ride in all weathers and it rains almost as often as the UK here ;))

Every year they use a different bike and this year they used a CB1000R

I replaced my front with Pilot Road 3 and really really love it - another 5K miles I will replace my Battlax with Pilot Road 4 or Road 5 later on :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had another set of PR4 fitted, normally I change front and rear at different times but they were both worn out at the same time this time around. Still love the PR 4's :thumbup:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
i am running a set of new pirellis (diablo i think?) front and rear and i have noticed while cornering the back end likes to slide out it worries me and makes me nervous to corner, is this normal for this tire? is there a cure, or is this a highway tire? meaning harder compound?:confused:

You're not the only 1. I had pirelli diablos and they were only ever OK. Last fall, it was about 45ish F and I went around a corner about 10 mph and the rear end slid out like I was on ice. Both directions, too. I slammed 1 foot down to stop the fall and the tire then spun the rear to the other side and I had to slam that foot down. Saved it but that was the end of those tires. They were only 3 years old, too, and plenty of tread.

Since it was about the end of riding, I put it away. This spring I got some Shinko Verge 2 tires. Dual compound and so far they have worn very well. Handling has been better than the pirellis were, even when they were new. Been out on a 43 F day and while of course a tire still has to warm, I don't have to crawl around corners. Wet traction has been decent. Only downside is the tread pattern is louder than the average tire. Not freight train loud of course, just louder. Easy enough to ignore.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, guys!
I`m thinking to put a 190 rear tire. Which size will fit best without any interactions? 190/50 or 190/55?
Thank you!

The rim width will probably be be different which will change the tire profile. The 50 or 55 is the percentage profile ratio to the 190 width. If you'r not doing serous thrashing with the bike it will probably be okay to have some mismatch with the profile but I would try to stay with the original tire configuration to be safe. Maybe you could find a wheel made for the 190 that will fit the FZ6?

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I will need Tires soon too. I will stick with stock size but I would like to get something that will last 20k miles.
I don't track but do drive aggressively so I would like something that is safe in wet and dry and handles well but last 20k miles.
Is there anything like that out there?
I was planning on bringing here to the Yamaha dealer and just have them do it. Yes I could probably figure out how to take the rear wheel off, but I am thinking how much is the dealer would charge me extra to do that $50?
I am just thinking they should not mess anything up by doing it I would have them do it and be done with it...

Thanks guys

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
I will need Tires soon too. I will stick with stock size but I would like to get something that will last 20k miles.
I don't track but do drive aggressively so I would like something that is safe in wet and dry and handles well but last 20k miles.

For years I've read the praises of Goodyear Pilot Road series tires (PR2 and newer). They seem to be the benchmark tire here in the Pacific Northwest for riders wanting good wet traction and mileage. Another possible option that has piqued my interest is the new Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41S. It is made with a sport touring tire compound so should get good mileage, has a aggressive tread pattern that should provide great wet traction, and is made in sizes that fit the fz6. You can even get a rebate on them now through April 30th https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...ource=tires&il_medium=main-bridgestone-rebate.

https://youtu.be/M4Ku7Vy4ioY

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning on bringing here to the Yamaha dealer and just have them do it. Yes I could probably figure out how to take the rear wheel off, but I am thinking how much is the dealer would charge me extra to do that $50?
I am just thinking they should not mess anything up by doing it I would have them do it and be done with it...

Thanks guys

If you have a Cycle Gear store in the area they will change the tires (for a fee) if you bring in your wheels. Pulling the wheels off really isn't that hard to do. The bike has a center stand and the wrench needed for the large nut on the rear wheel is in the tool pouch under the seat. Once the rear wheel is off get a block of wood and place it under the motor to prop the front tire up high enough to remove it. While the wheels are off you can check the condition of the brake pads. Install in reverse order :thumbup:.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks guys

20K ? I suppose it could be done if you ride like grandpa but where's the fun in that? ;) I was a huge fan of the Michelin Pilot road 2's for wear and stiction but they are discontinued and hard to find. My FJR buddies raved about the Dunlop Road Smart 3 so I bought a set for my Supermoto (same size as the 6). Never been a fan of dunsoft tires but the 3's have won me over. Better handling and mileage as I may get over 5k out of a rear whereas the Pilot road was toast by 4,500 miles.

I ride at a spirited pace, my annual tire budget hurts so that's why I have another set ready when these are toast. Watch for a 75.00 rebate from Dunlop this spring as they have been offering it the last few years.

R&R really isn't that hard, watch a few you tube video's on how to do it and chain adjustment. You'll be fine.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys for the feedback. I will call the dealer for a price and then decide if I shall do it my self :)

I think I might go with the Pirelli Angel GT Rear Tire

The front is still ok, or should both be changed no matter what?

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
If the tire is in good shape (no cracks, cupping), isn't at/near the wear bar, rock hard and not old (I read tire manufactures suggest replacing tires that are more than six years old) then you should be fine. It's common for some tires to wear at a ratio of two rear tires to one front tire.