Tomahawk T3

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a Tomahawk T3 rear about a month and 1000 miles ago and just thought I'd throw a review up. I searched very hard to find a fair review on these tires - the net is littered with posts from people who've never used them saying they're crap and dangerous...all in all I only found 2 people who actually used them - 1 of which, didn't like them - thought they didn't turn well and had horrible grip in cold and wet weather. The other was an FZ6 owner on SBN who liked them. I took the 50% chance and bought a rear off a local guy for $50. He bought it on impulse then didn't want it after reading the baseless opinions all over the net. I've put about 1000 miles on the tire so far:
all 1000 miles has been in temps less than 60*F with the majority in temps under 50*F
100 miles in wet/raining conditions
500 miles on twisty cheese grater roads in AR.

Results:
This thing blows the stock Battleass out of the water. It's grips far better in every condition than the stocker did, the tread depth is deeper and the contact patch is wider. The only con I can think of with this tire is that due to the extra rubber on it, it's noticeably heavier than the stock rear was (when holding both tires). I haven't found this to equate to any difference in riding, but if you're one of those "every unsprung oz. counts" type of guys this might matter to you. Also the shop that mounted it said it took a little longer to balance than usual no biggie.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this tire for the price I paid. I will most likely go with them when I need to replace the front - right now I've got a stock front and T3 rear and haven't noticed any issues with mismatching them. Prices directly from the manufacturer are around $90 shipped for a rear and $160 shipped for a set - still a nice price for a tire this great.