Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it wasn't planned I originally went to the bike shop to get a ride on the MT-09, but they had just sold their previous test bike and the new one had to be prepped. Anyway they had a BMW F800R on special offer and they let me take a spin.
Well I was not impressed, mainly as the engine was a 2 cylinder and had very little "character", the 90 HP was very linear and with no real kick (as with my fz6). I also found that there was a lot of vibration which I didn't like. Having said this it was really easy to steer (probably as the handlebars are straighter than the FZ6's) and it had good brakes.
Next week I'll be trying out the new Tracer MT-09 :D

First UK road test: BMW F800R review | Visordown

BTW I'm not sure if I'm after getting a new bike or getting an older bike in good condition, but I first have to find a new bike I like (and can afford :D ).

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for this. Interesting to note the differences. Have you thought about a Suzuki Vstrom 650?

I have thought about it, a very popular model over here, but it's only 71 HP and a V-Twin, and to be honest I'm not yet sold on the all road type bikes, although I will be trying the MT-09 :rolleyes:
I really think if there was a similar bike to the FZ-6 now I would buy it, it ticks all the boxes for me I might even end up buying a second hand FZ6 with less milage.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How many MILES on yours now Martin?

143000 (and a bit) Km's, the engine still going strong but there a few major issues looming, and my thinking is to not plow a lot of money into a bike that will not increase the value, and invest it in a new bike. The idea of a new bike goes with the idea that I might get some money for a trade in, but I'll go into details when I find a bike I like. And otherwise maybe buy another FZ6 with low milage, or for a great price.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a plan! Maybe something like this, if you can find one. Good luck.

yamaha fz6 s s2 600 de color GRIS del año 2010 con 15000km Zaragoza 6438203

Nice bike for a nice price, if I buy a second hand FZ6 I'll have to sell my present one, and I think it's worth more in parts, another idea I was playing with was to buy another red bike and use my present one as a back up for spares if necessary (but mrs Cloggy wasn't too wild about that idea :D) and the red ones (with black frame) seem hard to find for a reasonable price.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
83,000 MILES!!

You got your moneys worth out of it!

That bike doesn't owe you a dime!!!

Don't I know it, that's why I would totally trust another Yamaha :thumbup: Unlike most people here my bike is stood outside my house open to the elements, and not only did I rack up plenty of Km's I rode through 10 winters, what a bike.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it wasn't planned I originally went to the bike shop to get a ride on the MT-09, but they had just sold their previous test bike and the new one had to be prepped. Anyway they had a BMW F800R on special offer and they let me take a spin.
Well I was not impressed, mainly as the engine was a 2 cylinder and had very little "character", the 90 HP was very linear and with no real kick (as with my fz6). I also found that there was a lot of vibration which I didn't like. Having said this it was really easy to steer (probably as the handlebars are straighter than the FZ6's) and it had good brakes.
Next week I'll be trying out the new Tracer MT-09 :D

First UK road test: BMW F800R review | Visordown

BTW I'm not sure if I'm after getting a new bike or getting an older bike in good condition, but I first have to find a new bike I like (and can afford :D ).

I think I test rode that a 2013 BMW F800GT. Same or similar bike? It had a parallel twin engine. It vibrated terribly. The sales guy tried to tell me that the motor would break in and vibes would lessen. I was suspisious. When I decided to buy it and returned to pull the trigger, they wouldn't give me the time of day. I guess my cash wasn't good enough for them. After waiting for 30 minutes and not even being recognized by anyone at the dealership, hubby & I walked out. Found my (used) Sprint at the Triumph dealer and never looked back. I have purchased 2 Triumphs from them now. BMW dealer's loss. Not impressed with the brand....

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it's about the most trouble free, dependable bike I've ever owned. Have mine 8 years now(bought used/ wrecked) and fixed up..

Take care of it and it'll take care of you...

My 07, currently, 25,000 miles..:

You need to ride that thing more. Must be the weather. Can't find enough good weather to ride in in Florida? hahahaha

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Find the bike you like is key and it has to make enough power. I liked the fz6 looks and power best. I did like the Ducati and aprilia too but when I read that valve clearances needed to be checked every 6kmiles versus the Yamaha 24k miles the Yamaha was the clear winner :) I found one with 300miles on it, she now has 2300 miles . Good luck!

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300 your bike looks super clean. My bike although it has very little miles the header pipes look pretty messed up. The bike had a bad plug and the owner althought he would not ride the bike he owuld let it idle to the point it would kill the battery. I think that blemishes the header pipes and I can't get them looking good :(

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Find the bike you like is key and it has to make enough power. I liked the fz6 looks and power best. I did like the Ducati and aprilia too but when I read that valve clearances needed to be checked every 6kmiles versus the Yamaha 24k miles the Yamaha was the clear winner :) I found one with 300miles on it, she now has 2300 miles . Good luck!

I agree maintenance is an important factor for me riding so many Km's, I keep looking at other bikes but the maintanence has to be done so much more often, it would cost me a fortune, and as you said the valve clearances are the most expensive. Luckily the MT-09 maintenance scedule looks almost identical to the FZ6 :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Actually, the Yamaha calls for checks at 26,600 miles. And most don't need adjustment.

My bikes used for pleasure only (daily driver-dry season now) and usually the wheels get a wipe down after every other ride..

My headers were crappy when I bought the bike (4,500 miles). Mothers metal cleaner & elbow grease did the job. Another member posted warming the header helps remove the crap right before polishing..

You can see the header nasty before:

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300, I don't think mine can be cleaned. They seemed a bit eroded in spots. I will create a separate thread and post a pic later today. Thanks!

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
^^That's one amazing clean up! I really have to find the time to work on mine. They look like the teeth of a person who's never brushed!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish you were a bit closer Cloggy; my '07 has 27,000 and is up for sale, looks exactly like Townsend's except my headers are "Before". :rolleyes: