Toyrun time!!!!

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
flyer08.JPG

For those who don't know, this is South Africa's BIGGEST biking event, the Toyrun. Nationwide, over 50 000 bikers converge on various venues with entry being a toy for the underpriviledged. The teddy bear is the official logo, but the focus has shifted to usable items, from toiletries to sports equipment, balls, bats and others.

I (somehow) got involved, and we're hoping this to be the biggest event in history, i think it's going on year 26 .....

www.toyrun.org.za

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We were discussing this in the pub yesterday after the SBK race, and we all agreed that teddies are out. Maybe one tied on the bike for flash, but there are kids out there of all ages and they don't all want teddies.

Some pics from last year's run:

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
attachment.php

I like the highway pic .... must try get some more this year, they're talking a 5/6 kilometre long procession .....

This pic is one o fmy favourites though, bury a bakkie (truck) in toys ... way to go!!!

Andz ... where you leaving from? we are looking for marshalls for all events .... i'm doing south ..... ;)

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Yeah ... Greenstone is going to be VERY busy.

Try south, we doing the lead ride, got the saints fronting it all, and since it's basically right round jo'burg, well why not? :rockon:

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep count me in... remember one teddy will keep one kid occupied for one moment. It may cost some more but one cricket set will keep twenty kids busy all day:rockon:

Last edited:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I was at the final meeting last night, they are expecting 22 000 bikes at the main event, with many other events country wide.

Mention was made that we're going to try have a world record set, apparently it's not hard to get it recognised :rockon:

The funniest thing though, was this:
We have several regional police departments, responsible for variopus sectors of the city. A run like this around the city cuts through more than one group's jurisdiction. The eastern boys had offered their help, unreservedly to make the day as safe as posssible.

But no, The Johannsburg Metro Police Department stated categorically, that if the Ekhuruleni Metro Police Department (east) had ANYTHING to do with the run, then all permissions would be denied, ultimately making this run illegal.

:confused::confused::confused:

So, our dearest head marshall had some cr@p decisions to make, ultimately coming up with a compromise. The up side is that the JMPD have now promised TOTAL commitment, and a FULL compliment of staff and vehicles for the event.

We had some route changes to make, but hopefully since all it settled, should be a safe run for all. It's also going to be a very sunny and hot day :Flash:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am home again, tired and sunburned after an excellent day. The new venue is infinitely better than previous ones and the cops did a great job.

I heard figures of 56,000 bikes and 210,000 people being bandied about, one thing is certain, I have NEVER seen so many bikes in one place!

I said to my wife "buy one teddy for the bike" so of course she went overboard....

30112008.jpg

Last edited:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Man what an awesome day!!!

Glad that you guys enjoyed it ... and yes a LOT of bikes. I'll get the official numbers aat the post mortem, will give feedback.

A lot went wrong, from marshalls being knocked off their bikes, to the jmpd making BIG stuff ups .... HOWEVER despite these setbacks, the Think Bike marshalls kept things together, and the riders in the main bunches were all safe!!

I'm looking for some pictures, they're slowly getting added to people's accounts.

The day was a huge success ... in terms of getting toys to kids who don't have, and i can only salut the generosity of the bikers .... :rockon:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok, here is a journalist's report. Gives you the best idea :)

By Dave Abrahams

It was the mother and father of all Toy Runs – an estimated 38 000 people on more than 23 000 motorcycles converged on the Nasrec expo centre south of Johannesburg on the last Sunday in November, traditional date of Toy Runs nationwide.

And the scene was repeated on a larger or smaller scale at more than 20 Toy Runs all over South Africa – from the Cape Town Toy Run where more than 7000 riders rode to Maynardville from two start venues, and from Heidelberg in the southern Cape where 42 riders embarked on a 250km "hospital crawl"More than 20 000 riders converged on Nasrec from five start venues.

An estimated 50 000 riders took part in this the 26th Toy Run.

There were bikes of all shapes and sizes festooned with kids' stuff as Gauteng's bikers answered the call to bring Christmas to children in institutions, orphanages and hospices who would otherwise have had nothing to celebrate this holiday season.

They rode from Silverton Midas in Pretoria, Steeledale Hyper, a new start venue at Greenstone Mall in Edenvale, the Brightwater Commons and Westgate shopping centre.

The event suffered a little from growing pains in 2008, with a new end venue, five new routes and a new start venue. There was some confusion along the way – the run from Silverton in Pretoria got lost and the leaders actually turned back rather than go through the Johnnesburg CBD.

There were also last-minute changes to the route from Steeledale Hyper due to blasting for the Gautrain route – the Toy Run Committee was only told the day before! - but everybody eventually reached Nasrec, where they filled the car park, the outdoor exhibition areas and the access roads between the halls with bikesThe Gauteng Toy Run suffered a little from growing pains in 2008.

Few go to the Toy Run with just one toy: Gauteng Toy Run riders donated a record 54 500 toys of all types – and then enjoyed helicopter flips, dyno tuning, hundreds of trade stalls, food and beverage stalls and live music all day.

Surprisingly, given the size and complexity of the event, there were only three spills on the run, none serious, the worst being a rider who collided with a car and was knocked unconscious.

Happily, however, his injuries were limited to a broken finger and a dislocated pelvis and Toy Run convenor Pete Beart said he would probably be discharged from hospital on Monday.

AROUND THE COUNTRY

DURBAN'S Toy Run was nearly washed out before it started by a near-hurricane that swept through the night before and destroyed the stalls and facilities set up at the Lord and Legends cricket ground.

But convenor Joe Boes and his team were there at dawn on the day to rebuild and the Toy Run went off well with close to 6500 motorcycles taking part in overcast, miserable conditions.

Local band DV8 rocked up a storm and, thanks to the generosity of Durban's riders, all the requirements of the selected charities were met.

The PORT ELIZABETH Toy Run broke all records with a combined turnout (on and off-road) of nearly 4000 riders – compared to 2500 in 2007 - converging on the Rover motocross circuit in superb weather.

The previous day the clubs, public and corporate sponsors had treated 280 less-fortunate children at the Boardwalk centre to a party and a gift each - and another party for 54 children at the Aurora centre for disabled children was planned.

The 2008 Port Elizabeth Toy Run collected more than 5000 toys and about R110 000 in cash, of which the DJ on stage was responsible for about R38 000, partly by auctioning a R10 note for R700!

The clubs also presented a metre-square cake with the Toy Run logo iced on it to the Aurora Centre.

The EAST LONDON Toy Run was a little down on numbers from 2007 due to drizzle early in the morning but about 300 riders took part in a short ride from the War Memorial in Oxford Street to the Gonubie Farmers' Hall.

Convener Louis Myburgh was full of praise for the club marshals who saw the riders safely through each road junction – the East London Toy Run is one of the few that have no support from the local traffic authorities.

At the end venue the riders treated nearly 500 children from homes and hospices in and around East London to cold drinks and sweets and a toy each (sponsored by the riders) and a hot dog each courtesy of the Cambridge Lions.

The GEORGE Toy Run was "the best ever", said convenor Eddie Creed, attracting riders from Caledon, Beaufort West and even Cape Town. More than 600 bikes took part in the mass ride to the Mossel Bay Yacht and Boating Club – an ideal venue for skydivers (the day's star attraction) and for Father Christmas to make a grand entrance on an NSRI rescue boat.

160 children from homes and hospices in the area were treated to snacks, cold drinks, face-painting, puppet shows and a jumping castle.

The HEIDELBERG, CAPE Toy Run was not only the smallest but also the longest, with 42 riders completing a 250km route from Buffeljagsrivier on the N2 to the Swellendam hospital, on to Montagu Hospital and ending at Riversdale Hospital.

The riders distributed toys at every stop in children's wards, maternity wards and police trauma rooms. It was a long but very enjoyable day, said convenor Blackie Swart, and plans were already in hand to cover the same route in 2009 – in the opposite direction!

The only people who didn't complain about the heat at the NELSPRUIT Toy Run were the Round Table members who were manning the beer tent! About 180 riders turned out in temperatures close to 40 degrees to donate a small mountain of toys, about R17 000 in cash and a similar amount in pledges.

The BELA BELA Toy Run almost became a rally as about 80 riders from Pretoria arrived on Saturday and camped over. No problem for the legendary Limpopo hospitality, however; convenor Chris Briel rustled up a sheep on a spit and a pile of sausage rolls at no notice whatsoever and the evening turned into a memorable party.

The "official" Toy Run on Sunday – which was only the second to be held in Bela Bela - attracted more than 800 bikes from all over SA's northernmost province. Local residents said they'd never seen anything like it and a senior Pick 'n Pay executive who happened to be spending the weekend there was so impressed he pledged even more support for the 2009 Toy Run.

Thousands of toys were collected for distribution during the following week to children's homes and shelters in Limpopo province.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I live in America and (until now) I've never heard of the Toy Run. That is such an inspirational story.

I was also wondering something... Do the riders ride the bikes with the toys on them or is that just for the pictures???

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No it's not just for the pictures, we all ride with the toys on the bikes. Some with only one, some with dozens! It is sad though to be in the mass ride with thousands of other bikers and occasionally see a toy on the road that has fallen off a bike.

I'll post some pics when I get home to an internet connection that's fast enough!

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No it's not just for the pictures, we all ride with the toys on the bikes. Some with only one, some with dozens! It is sad though to be in the mass ride with thousands of other bikers and occasionally see a toy on the road that has fallen off a bike.

I'll post some pics when I get home to an internet connection that's fast enough!

The reason I asked that was cause I was thinking "wouldn't the toys get really dirty from bugs and dirt?"
lol I'd hate to have a big white bear when I pulled out of the driveway only to end up with a big brown bear when I arrived. ;)