Transmission slack

Eroc77

Reaction score
Visit site
What is an acceptable slack in transmission? If I rotate the wheel on its stand from forward to reverse it seems to have quite a bit of rotation before gears are engaged. It makes for jerking slower cruising shifts. Is this how a sport bike shifts? I’m new to these types of bikes.
Low mileage 2005

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you referring to “chain slack” or “backlash” within the gears them selves? You should have 2 inches of free play up/down on the chain with an unloaded wheel. If your previous bikes had shaft drive, a chain final drive will feel different.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has a very short clutch throw. This, with a misadjusted chain doesn't help.

Couple things to help-

Keep the chain at exactly 2" up and down play at it's tightest point (checked on the CC).
Make sure the chain is well lubed.

The clutch cable likes to be lubed, and lubed often. A fraying internally cable will be worse..

An easy mod which widens the engagement zone and makes the lever pull noticeably
easier is to replace the engine pull lever with Yamaha part # 1WS-16340-00.
It's slightly longer (more leverage/control) .

With the above maintenance and mod, it'll shift smoother and less jerkiness.. It can easily
loosen the pull up to approx (IME) up to 40%.

More control of the clutch will help. I also keep my idle at about 1050 which also seems to help
(smoother idle, lower RPMs to lessen the jerkiness)

*I find the cable itself likes to "gum up" in the curve just above the engine...*

Part # 25: