Uneven Front Tyre Wear

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

During my last MOT they advised that my front tyre had uneven wear on it. I can see that the left side of the tyre has like flat spots. I'll try and get a pic soon.

What would cause uneven wear on the front tyre ?

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
This may or may not be correct, but I was told that in proper tire wear is caused by not having the tires inflated correctly.

Hi all,

During my last MOT they advised that my front tyre had uneven wear on it. I can see that the left side of the tyre has like flat spots. I'll try and get a pic soon.

What would cause uneven wear on the front tyre ?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adam,

I am not familiar with the brand of tire but I suspect it is a high mileage, sport touring, dual compound type.

I suspect that what you're seeing is caused by the tire. If that is a "dual compound" tire, then the center part of the tread uses a harder more wear-resistant rubber while the sides use a softer more grippy rubber. Unless you spend all of your riding time straight up, the sides will wear out a bit faster than the center and the profile changes from a nice round to sort of a flat center with flat sides.

If the tire is pretty seriously under-inflated this wear pattern will happen faster because more of the side tread is making contact. But I think that even with proper inflation, as the tire wears you're going to see this anyway.

This profile makes it feel like the bike is reluctant to turn in. As you lean into a turn the tire rides on that ridge between the flat center and the flat side. Then if you lean farther it feels like it falls suddenly as it rides on the flat side portion.

I think this is one of the trade-offs you get when you choose a tire that should last for many miles. The last of those miles will not be optimal.

It looks like your tire still has plenty of tread life remaining. When you finally put a new tire on the front you will be be amazed at how much better your bike does at going into corners.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Try losing the pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork where the butt of the axel slides in the fork leg, push down on the fork a few times and retighten.

Next check that the forks aren't twisted in the triple clamps. And make sure the rear tire alignment is correct.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Many things effect tire wear, pressure, loading, suspension setup (spring rates, compression and rebound return rates).... As stated, tires expected to run lots of miles will make some of this stand out.

PRESSURE:
- Too low; outer edges wear. More pronounced on dual compound.
- Too high, center wears more plus lost traction
- Overloaded and low pressure = tire damage to carcase and tread.

SUSPENSION:
The genuine lack of damping can directly impact tire wear making scallops as can too much damping. So can a imbalance of the two.

This is more applicable to track use but take a look. Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes

Off hand you tire has the appearance of high miles and the center is gone but low pressure and lack of rebound damping cause the steps in the treads leading vs trailing edges...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Avon storm II front wore like this. Similar wear to yours. Tyre pressures checked regularly. Where I live it rains lots and the roads have fairly steep cambers and lots of lovely sweeping bends. The tyre guy put it down to that.
In the dry weather I was riding it hard.
Nelly

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
My forks were knackered so it'll probably be that. I've rebuilt them now, new springs (both), seals and fresh oil :thumbup:

Thanks all

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I've never run on Michellin's PP Roads, I have exclusively run on Michellin's since my stock tires were replace and have never experienced cupping or squaring.

Could it be from an imbalanced front tire?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Every front tire I've run on the FZ6 has had at least mild cupping on the left side of the front tires. It caused by tread design and the camber of the road since we ride on the right side, the left side gets more road contact.

Keep the pressures up and Lean it over on some curves often and it won't get any worse than it is now.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Every front tire I've run on the FZ6 has had at least mild cupping on the left side of the front tires. It caused by tread design and the camber of the road since we ride on the right side, the left side gets more road contact.

Keep the pressures up and Lean it over on some curves often and it won't get any worse than it is now.

Tire wear is fascinating, seems like it's different for every rider. Here's a picture of my last front tire before it got replaced. The picture is pretty much the same as every front tire replacement of mine. No cupping or squaring, just round and getting bald. I would also like to add that my front wears much faster than the rear. I know for most, it's the opposite.

20131023_175527_zpsed21c9b4.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire wear is fascinating, seems like it's different for every rider. Here's a picture of my last front tire before it got replaced. The picture is pretty much the same as every front tire replacement of mine. No cupping or squaring, just round and getting bald. I would also like to add that my front wears much faster than the rear. I know for most, it's the opposite.

It definitely varies.

I'm sure the road conditions you ride have as much to do with it as anything. I'm sure out west where it rarely rains, road crowns aren't as steep. Also some areas of the country use concrete surfaces. Here on the east coast it's almost 100% asphalt.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FWIW:
The original tire on the bike had some minor steps and squaring but after a good romp in the woods (~400 miles out and back), it looked normal again!
Point; pushing it into the corners and using it for all its worth seems to clean them up.

Kenny, recall the run to the coast in the rain? Even then we used up the whole tire rippin through the forest! Looking forward to 2015 to do some more of that! :thumbup: