Ungrounded blinker and valve stem

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two quick questions.

I had my front plastics hanging by my blinker wire (stupid I know but my said fairing is broken in half so it was the lighter smaller side) and it fell on the ground pulling the wires apart. I go to put them back together and I see this:

(Please click link, I cant seem to get it to show here as I get the error "The number of tags you tried to add exceeded the maximum number of tags by 20." and have to start post all over again each time) http://adventuresofkerri.com/images/20160624_110040.jpg

After 4 years and around 35K miles added to my bike (over 60K miles total!) and I discovered something new the old owner did. It looks like for some reason the ground is missing coming from the blinker and somehow he put it together using a spare short wire that I couldnt figure out where it was going to. I used my best guess and apparently I didnt do it right because the second I put the bike on the right blinker light just stayed on, on the dashboard and while it did kinda work it didnt work too well and blew the fuse pretty quickly anyway. So how did he do it?

The second question is unrelated but figured I would put it into the same post because I expect it to be a quicker answer. My tire is leaking air from the base of the valve stem (at the rim) because of pulling out my chain that I lock my bike with from there and having it rip at it. Is there a way to pop the old one out and put a new one in without taking off the tire? I called a few shops in the area and they all want to charge me the rate of what they would to mount and balance a new tire (which while this tire does have some life left in it, it isnt new anymore and it kinda sucks having to pay to the full rate when some months down the road Im going to have to do it again as Ive been putting on at least 200 miles or more to my bike each week)

Thanks everyone :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What about just wiring your three stock wires (from the ft directional), back into the bikes original harness? That 3 line connector / wires should still be in the ft harness as I seriously doubt he removed it. That harness (with the directional) runs from the rear left of the fairing, under the headlight and the directional wire back out..

As for the tire / valve, if you can break the bead loose on one side (that's the hard part), you can simply "pinch" the tire with a c-clamp (just enough to access the valve)
R&R the valve.

You shouldn't need to re-balance if the valve is the same as what you removed..

Putting dish soap on the new valve seat BEFORE pulling into the rim will make it MUCH easier..

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I only kind of half get what your saying. For the valve, I get the break the bead part (though I've never done it, tires are one of the few things I always go to a shop for) and the clamping the tire with a c clamp but then how do I fix the valve once I'm inside there or do I buy a replacement one? Or is that something I'll need to figure out once I'm in there?

As for the front turn signal, the turn signal is the part missing the ground not the harness coming from the bike. I could try cutting a bit more of the plastic off of it to expose the wires underneath, I was just not sure about doing that because I didn't want to run out of wire to attach it to or something. Or am I not understanding something here?

Thanks so very much for your help by the way :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the pic, he added his own wires. Cut some of the outside plastic sheathing away and you'll see the stock 3 wires.

The black one is your ground. The other two, one will be the running light(on all the time with ignition), the other-the blinker.

He already cut the stock connector away. If its too short, simply add a short piece of wire(s)

As for the valve stem, its shot, just rip it out.

Get another one (any auto store will have them-match up your base with the correct diameter).
Install the new one from where the tire is NOW squished down pulling it into place. Again, some dish soap will lube it and make it easier to pull into place..

They do make a tool that threads onto the valve threads and makes it easier to pull the valve in. You can always bring in the rim/tire to say Walmart and have the guy pull the valve stem in. It won't take 15 seconds...

Good luck and post back how it goes..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To add to this. The wiring job that was done on this blinker was, to be gentle.... a hack job.
On your stock front blinker assembly there is a bulb that has 2 filaments. One for the running light (blue with red tracer wire) One for the turn signal (green wire) and the ground wire (black wire) As Scott says open the sheath so you can see the wire colors and match them to each other with those 3 wires or get some new wire to make 3 new extensions. Resolder or use butt splices to reconnect the wires. They must not touch each other and remain insulated properly. They must also have strong physical integrity and be protected from the outside elements.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks both of you. I haven't had a chance yet to do any of the above but will at some point during my version of a weekend (Wed and Thurs are my Sat and Sun).

Soooo much other stuff I need to be doing on my bike too. Over 60K miles on it now. Still need to diagnose those weird electrical issues I've been ignoring and now I need a new rear shock too. Plus it's time for an oil change as well. Going to be a long "weekend" lol. Going to get my hands extra dirty.