Utah Riders Thread

Vish5050

Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering what you guys have down as some good roads in Utah?

First year riding on my 6R, and I am looking for some roads you guys love, I have done the Canyons (Big, Little and Emigration). Even hit the Mirror Lake Highway last weekend, followed it up to Woodruff then down the 39 to Ogden and back home.

Thanks

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site

First year riding on my 6R, and I am looking for some roads you guys love, I have done the Canyons (Big, Little and Emigration). Even hit the Mirror Lake Highway last weekend, followed it up to Woodruff then down the 39 to Ogden and back home.

Thanks

The canyon roads you mentioned are great. I also enjoy antelope island. You can haul @$$ on the causeway and there are some nice twisties along the East side of the island. It's a great ride, just be ready for lots of bugs on your visor :D

I'm sure abacall will have more to add. He probably has the most experience riding the Utah roads. Congrats on the bike and ride safe! :thumbup:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks

:welcome: Vish! Always good to see new people on the road with us in SLC.

How far up Emigration did you go? If you only did Emigration, keep going next time. You can continue the ride into East Canyon, which is a very fun ride (be careful of the rough surfaces in the lower area). Then you can continue around the East Canyon Reservoir into rte. 66 (left at the end of the lake) to Morgan. From there you can go up to Mountain Green and up rte. 167 to Huntsville. Here comes the fun part, take rte. 39 to Monte Cristo Pass. This road is a lot of fun. It will end in Woodruff, from which you can go north to Bear Lake (you'll be pretty close).
Yeah, it's a long ride. But it is 90% twisty and scenic roads. Lots of fun.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
So as my birthday present to myself, I finally got my first long canyon ride of the season done this Saturday, and man, what a beautiful ride! I was planning on just going up Emigration Canyon then heading back down Parley's, but by the time I made it to the end of Emigration, I was dying for more. So I took a left and took the long way home :)

I went up East Canyon (lots of twisties) and past the reservoir, then after that it was nice cruise past devil's slide and Morgan, then I looped through Ogden canyon and back down I-80 and Legacy Highway all the way home. It was a best ride I've had in a long time, and going through East Canyon road really showed me how much of my technique I've lost since last season :D It was the perfect route, starting with the tight turns in east canyon and moved into long flowing roads in Morgan county. Highly recommended! :thumbup:

DSCN0982-bnw.jpg

DSCN0984.jpg

DSCN0987.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

I was running from this storm the whole ride...

DSCN1009.jpg

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Fun ride huh? :rockon:
Next time keep going and go through Monte Cristo Pass. That road really has some of the best turns in the state.

We'll have to get a big ride together when I get back....

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Fun ride huh? :rockon:
Next time keep going and go through Monte Cristo Pass. That road really has some of the best turns in the state.

My butt was killing me and I had to get home, but I'll have to try that next time!

jetskier

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Just bought my FZ6 about 5 weeks ago. Live between Layton and Ogden. Have a Kawi Concours buddy that lives in SLC and ride with him...sometimes down that way, sometimes up this way. Let me know when you guys are headed out again.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Just bought my FZ6 about 5 weeks ago. Live between Layton and Ogden. Have a Kawi Concours buddy that lives in SLC and ride with him...sometimes down that way, sometimes up this way. Let me know when you guys are headed out again.
Welcome! Work at Hill, perchance? I live in the Terrace. Someone had posted about a Utah ride this Saturday (8 Aug), but now I can't find the post...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Just went on a ride today, and had one of the scariest few moments in a long time. I went up Old Snowbasin Road, which is an amazing and very challenging road. Apparently they decided to do some half-assed work on it. I came up on a brand new section, about 100 feet long, of black top. I slowed a little, then gave it a little gas as it went over the bump back to the regular pavement (get weight off the front tire). Well, that's the first time I got air on a motorcycle. Not cool. I didn't get too far off, but the whole bike was in the air and landed with a solid THUD. I was only going about 40, and the bike got a bit squirrelly, but all came out well in the end.
Just 3 minutes later, I came out of a blind turn (still a little unnerved) and BAM! Three cows hanging out in the middle of the road. :Lurking:
It gets better. Maybe five minutes after that, on a straight section, DEER! :eek: The thing jumped out of the bush and darted right across the road. I slammed the brakes and missed the bastard by a bit. I would have certainly hit it otherwise.

Fun. Actually, I love that road. It was only the second time I did it on the moto, but damn is it fun.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just went on a ride today, and had one of the scariest few moments in a long time. I went up Old Snowbasin Road, which is an amazing and very challenging road. Apparently they decided to do some half-assed work on it. I came up on a brand new section, about 100 feet long, of black top. I slowed a little, then gave it a little gas as it went over the bump back to the regular pavement (get weight off the front tire). Well, that's the first time I got air on a motorcycle. Not cool. I didn't get too far off, but the whole bike was in the air and landed with a solid THUD. I was only going about 40, and the bike got a bit squirrelly, but all came out well in the end.
Just 3 minutes later, I came out of a blind turn (still a little unnerved) and BAM! Three cows hanging out in the middle of the road. :Lurking:
It gets better. Maybe five minutes after that, on a straight section, DEER! :eek: The thing jumped out of the bush and darted right across the road. I slammed the brakes and missed the bastard by a bit. I would have certainly hit it otherwise.

Fun. Actually, I love that road. It was only the second time I did it on the moto, but damn is it fun.

There's TWO sections of half-assed work on that road, and they catch me every time! I haven't seen cows, or deer, but came damn close to a female moose last summer, whew! Road seems to have a lot of loose gravel on it in early spring too, I stay off it until July or so (and beware any time they start building another McMansion on that road, gravel and mud guaranteed).

I take that road almost every Sunday afternoon, as the folks up at Snowbasin host a live band/microbrew/grill/barbeque that's a great way to cool off/unwind at the end of the weekend, w00t! ;)

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site

Ha ha! Sure SOUNDS fun! :D I've never caught air with my FZ before! I'll tell you what isn't fun though...I-15 between North Salt Lake and 600 N. What a nightmare. I almost get forced into a barrier or construction cone every time I ride it! I can't kepp pushing my luck, so I think I'll just avoid it from now on...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell you what isn't fun though...I-15 between North Salt Lake and 600 N. What a nightmare. I almost get forced into a barrier or construction cone every time I ride it! I can't kepp pushing my luck, so I think I'll just avoid it from now on...

Yeah, I have to go that way everyday!
I take 6th North to get home, and I-15 North to 2600 S. to go to work. That construction is a nightmare. I've been taking 89 instead.

I went for a great ride yesterday, my thighs are still sore from all the hanging off. Took Old Snowbasin again, now that I remember where those damn bumps are, and kept going until I got to Monte Cristo Pass.
That and Big Cottonwood are my absolute favorite roads. Smooth, little traffic, and always a challenge. 250+ miles of twisty fun.

jetskier

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! Work at Hill, perchance? I live in the Terrace. Someone had posted about a Utah ride this Saturday (8 Aug), but now I can't find the post...

Thanks! I don't work at Hill, but over at Autoliv. I've heard Carey's Cycle (Yamaha dealer in Riverdale) has a ride on Wed nights, but I haven't been able to check it out yet.

Guess I should check this more often. When's the next ride everyone?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I don't work at Hill, but over at Autoliv. I've heard Carey's Cycle (Yamaha dealer in Riverdale) has a ride on Wed nights, but I haven't been able to check it out yet.

Guess I should check this more often. When's the next ride everyone?
Wow, I live within walking distance of Carey's, didn't know they had a sched. ride!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey you stragglers... You start 'er up yet?
I just changed my oil and went for a quick ride yesterday. I think I'm going to have to go again today. Mid 50s and sunshine, yes please!

Hey Botch, I might be moving up your way soon. Trying to buy a house in South Ogden.

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
Hey Guys,

I just read the whole thread again. I'm excited to go riding with you guys. Today is a nice day, I have riding fever big time. I hope it's warm enough tomorrow morning to ride to work. We should plan some rides for this summer. Saturdays work the best for me. I bought my FZ6 in May 2007 and I mostly just ride to work and back. I live out in Tooele and work in West Valley, just off of Redwood Road. All Straight. I need to get more twisty experience and you guy seem to have a ton of experience I could learn from. I look forward to meeting you and learning from you.

IMG_2673.jpg

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Ray! I rode to work today, and it looks like Tuesday and Wednesday are even better! I wish more twisty roads were open, but they don't really get good until July. Lots of sand and debris into June on the mountain passes.
Still very happy to be on the bike again and rebuild some rusty skills.

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
Sweet, I thought about it, but I woke up a bit late. Didnt' have time to leather up. I like to ride if it's above 40 Degrees in the morning, but I have rode when it's a little cooler. I've been itching to ride for weeks. I've had it out a couple times so far but just for short rides and to do the headlight mod. Let me know when we are ready for a ride. I hope you can be patient with my novice riding. :BLAA: I'll just let you guys go infront of me, so I'm not slowing you down. Hey we should plan a get together at the HANNspree FIM SUPERBIKE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2010 at Miller Motorsports Park this year.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
What awesome weather! So nice riding around for the last couple of days. Looks like spring is on its way.
We'll definitely get a ride together. Don't worry about your pace, it'll be a blast to get some Fazers together and go for a nice ride.