Very low fuel consumption

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I checked a few previous posts on this, but none were as extreme as I am.

I bought the bike this year and put a few hundred KM on it. My fuel consumption is at around 7l/100km or about 33mpg. I do drive somewhat aggressively some times, but not so much that I would expect to take me down from the 45mpg I see other people posting. I'd say I drive in the 4-7k rpm range (is this right? I'm still fairly new). Been using 91 octane, but have just switched to 89. I get about 200km before the last dot starts flashing and fueled today at 240km.

I haven't checked plugs or air filter. Anything besides those that might be the reason? Also, is it worthwhile to put in a K&N filter even if the stock one isn't too dirty?

Cheers

scottyblumps

Keep it on 2
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in simliar situation. I can't get above 30 - 35 mpg if when going really easy. I usually average around 25 mpg. I have a power commander and full akrapovic system. Any ideas?

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I average about 36 (I have a spreadsheet!). My worst ever was 32, and my best ever was 46. Mixed city/highway (mostly city). I ride moderately aggressively. No high speed, but I like to make corners more "exciting".

*Shrug* Better than my truck at a whopping 16MPG (average).

One big thing to consider is city or highway. My 46MPG run was 90% highway with some mildly aggressive city driving. I'm sure I could average 50 if I lived outside the city and was calm all the time. But I am happy with 36 as an average. Fuel is 89 octane on a regular basis, with 91 every so often (every fifth fill-up). I don't notice any difference in MPG (remember, I have a spreadsheet! :Flip: ) between fuel types.

Also, altitude is pretty important. High altitude is going to be worse on MPG. I get better MPG in Vancouver than I do in Calgary (4000ft altitude difference, ish).

Last edited:

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, my low consumption is in Vancouver. What RPMs do you guys ride around in? I'm curious if there are different responses from people with 45mpg vs. 35mpg.

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll take it in to a mechanic this week and have it checked out. That is, after I check a few obvious things myself (Change oil, check air filter). Hopefully he finds something wrong (but not something too serious:D).

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
According to Fuelly (sig) I average 45.1mpg with my best being 49.2 and my lowest being 42mpg.

My bike is a commuter, first and foremost, riding 75miles return to work per day.

I go from 70mph for half the trip to 40mph for the other half.

For economy, I try and draft a truck/SUV on the highway, and in town, I chuck it in 6th (at about 3500rpm) unless going up a hill.

With getting up it a bit, and riding and not drafting, I'm somewhere around 43mpg.

Cheers,
Rick

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually get 45-50 mpg (I've only had it a month, but have put on ~1000 miles)

I'm pretty tough on it at times, taking it to like 13k before shifting in first and like 12k in second (then shifting all the way up through the gears.) Not great for the bike, I know... but it's too much fun!

Most times I'm cruising between 4.5k and 8k RPMs, though.

2008 stock FZ6 with 17.5k miles on it.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
what are you people doing? I get an error corrected mpg of 48.1 on 87 octane... usually I end up with around 47.7 or so, and that is a fair mix of city/highway, and I am not afraid of the rev limiter in any way ;)

air filter, proper tire pressure, how smooth you are on the throttle, mods, or how big you are or arent in my case all play their fair role in your mpg.
Im pretty ocd about maintenance on my vehicles (im a mechanic and see how some people treat their cars) so I keep mine in perfect or damn close to perfect condition at all times....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what are you people doing? I get an error corrected mpg of 48.1 on 87 octane... usually I end up with around 47.7 or so, and that is a fair mix of city/highway, and I am not afraid of the rev limiter in any way ;)

Well, firstly, I have a significant change in elevation from my home to my work, and I'm, ahem, not the lightest rider out there.... (ok, ok - I'm fat!)

air filter, proper tire pressure, how smooth you are on the throttle, mods, or how big you are or arent in my case all play their fair role in your mpg.
Im pretty ocd about maintenance on my vehicles (im a mechanic and see how some people treat their cars) so I keep mine in perfect or damn close to perfect condition at all times....

I have a K&N airfilter, run 36/39psi, am nice and progressive with the throttle inputs, never use lower than 98 RON unleaded and change about 7000rpm.

As for OCD about maintenance, my 2005 FZ6 still looks like new (ask The Wolfman!)

I reckon I'm getting the best I can expect, based on rider weight and luggage. (commuter, so always has a Ventura bag)

Interestingly, some of my better tanks have been when I've taken it out of town and ridden a bit more aggressively.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I average about 36 (I have a spreadsheet!). My worst ever was 32, and my best ever was 46. Mixed city/highway (mostly city). I ride moderately aggressively. No high speed, but I like to make corners more "exciting".

*Shrug* Better than my truck at a whopping 16MPG (average).

One big thing to consider is city or highway. My 46MPG run was 90% highway with some mildly aggressive city driving. I'm sure I could average 50 if I lived outside the city and was calm all the time. But I am happy with 36 as an average. Fuel is 89 octane on a regular basis, with 91 every so often (every fifth fill-up). I don't notice any difference in MPG (remember, I have a spreadsheet! :Flip: ) between fuel types.

Also, altitude is pretty important. High altitude is going to be worse on
MPG. I get better MPG in Vancouver than I do in Calgary (4000ft altitude
difference, ish).
High altitude should be better on gas mileage. Air is less dense at higher altitudes. Less dense air means you need less fuel to obtain the same fuel air ratio. With that said, you'll also experience decreased performance at altitude, but I doubt many of us would notice it.

Fwiw, I'm at 400 feet MSL.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
High altitude should be better on gas mileage. Air is less dense at higher altitudes. Less dense air means you need less fuel to obtain the same fuel air ratio. With that said, you'll also experience decreased performance at altitude, but I doubt many of us would notice it.

Fwiw, I'm at 400 feet MSL.

It's not the altitude, it's the changing in elevation - i.e. going up a really big hill. (1930' change in elevation)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the altitude, it's the changing in elevation - i.e. going up a really big hill.

Cheers,
Rick
Hahahaha. Yea that would make a big difference. I totally read that the wrong way. I'll blame it on the Aussie vernacular ;).

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahahaha. Yea that would make a big difference. I totally read that the wrong way. I'll blame it on the Aussie vernacular ;).

Aussie vernacular?

What is specifically Australian when discussing changes in elevation?

Or do you think I must have meant something else, because we hillbillies, here Down Under, so obviously couldn't completely understand words with more than three syllables? (elevation has four, for those playing at home!)

Cor blimey, guv'nor, never have I been so slighted!

Not since the days of living in the ol' blighty, anyway.....

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

adpr02

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm... Just realized that tire pressure is a factor here. I checked pressure last week and it was 27/32. I thought it should be at around 32/32 so I still haven't filled it up. After you guys mentioned it I researched and found that most ppl. do 34/39. I'll check on my tires and get on it.

On that note: Does anybody know of any small pumps that don't disintegrate after a few uses and can fit under the seat? I'd like to get in the habit of checking every day or so.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best idea, put nitrogen in your tyres!

No contaminants, and maybe check it every 6 months. (denser gas doesn't permeate the rubber)

Works for me!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The secret to fuel economy is use ALL the gears , if economy is what you want then punch through them swiftly at around 4000-4500 rpm & dont use full throttle :thumbup:

Riding like that got me a bee's d!ck under 400k's from 18.64 litres in the FZ6 but if I rode it hard & smashed around in 2nd , 3rd or 4th it would drop to around 160k's ;)

The XJR I get around 340k's out of 20ish litres & I have had as low as 135k's on 19.76 litres :D :rockon:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The secret to fuel economy is use ALL the gears , if economy is what you want then punch through them swiftly at around 4000-4500 rpm & dont use full throttle :thumbup:

Riding like that got me a bee's d!ck under 400k's from 18.64L

Was it a really well hung bee, or is he embarrassed when fronting up at the urinal?

Just kidding, if I draft and ride economically, my best was 380ish. (Humpy inspired me!)

Cheers,
Rick

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon I'm getting the best I can expect, based on rider weight and luggage. (commuter, so always has a Ventura bag)

Interestingly, some of my better tanks have been when I've taken it out of town and ridden a bit more aggressively.

I commute with my bag too, the drag is probably worse then the weight that it adds to the bike.

and I too have noticed that (while around town) that my more spirited riding has yielded better mpgs at times. :confused: it probably has to do with engine load and other fancy stuff lol

no it was not a quip on larger guys, I just happen to be a rather small guy, and tbh the fz is probably a tad big for my tiny frame.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I'm another heavy rider, getting at least 47MPG on every tank in the last 5 years. I ride at max recommended tire pressure, 10% ethanol in our gas(not my choice), and tend to shift at 5500 RPM, with the occasional 7k-8k shifts. I ride with a 40 liter topcase installed. My last tank was 199.5 miles and took 4.16 gallons for my "normal" 47.9 MPG.