Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I fill up with petrol (gas) and I open the filler cap I find that water has filled the area between the opening to the tank and the ring around the filler cap. My bike is stood outside at home and this happens when there has been a lot of rain. More recently I fill up with the bike on the centre stand to make sure that no/little water flows into the tank, and use paper (from the dispensers) to soak up any excess.

I was wondering what could be causing this, I think it maybe due to the rubber gasket around the filler cap leaking.

I was wondering if anyone else have had (or solved) this problem, I tried searching but didn't find anything..

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
It does sound like a seal problem round the cap. I'd be a little worried that it's not flowing away, are all your hoses clear under the belly?

As a side note I've gotten in to the habit of flushing a little petrol round the top of the cap to flush those pipes through, and give them a little a coating of something oil based, after it was suggested on here that they can rot from the inside causing a leaky tank you can't see. Might be worth doing if you've got a water flow problem through there.

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Havent dealt with it on this bike specifically, but there should be a drain hole in there with a tube that goes all the way through the tank and out the bottom where a hose connects to it and runs out the bottom of the bike somewhere. Could be clogged with dirt or debris. A couple of shots with compressed air should fix it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In 2011 when I bought mine used, the first time I lifted the tank I found both the tank vent and cap drain hose completely kinked and blocked. As soon as I pulled them straight water and gas came out.

Look through the triangle on the frame near the tanks end, you should be able to see the hoses. Also verify both hang out a sufficient an equal amount under the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted, your drain line may be clogged (no pun intended, ah maybe...).

You can see inside the tank, the two tubes. One is a vent, the other to drain water from around the cap.

In the first pic, there are two rectangular slots next to each other. Just outside the forward, smaller hole IS that drain tube

Double click to enlarge;

You should be able to follow/feel both black hoses from the tank exit the tank and gently tug on the ends making sure there's no kinks..They end up on the right side of the bike..

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A big thanks to everyone for the info, I will have to check my tubes :thumbup:

I don't think I'll get a chance before I go to Scotland (leaving tomorrow and I've still got some other stuff to do :eek:), but it's great to be part of such a great forum :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Just give them a little pull (not too sharpish! Lol) before you set off next. You'll probably feel one slide down a bit, it doesn't take much to kink them. It's a habit I've gotten in to now, every time the tank comes up.