Well, I did it.

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I parked on the same crowned road I always park on when at school. I put the bike on the center stand just like I do every day. I came out a couple hours later to go home and couldn't get it off the center stand. I put the side stand down and started heaving the bike off the center stand, and that's when it happened. My bike ended up on its side and the motor quit. I are no happy. :spank:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. A little trick that works almost every time is sit on it put your weight over the rear tire then just lean forward quickly. If that don't work do what I do, put it it 1st get the tire spinning pull the clutch in then rock it back. You'll hear it bark but no bite and she will pop right off the stand

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
well they say "it happens." and more often then some might think. and not the sort of "drop" where you lay it down, or even moving. sometimes bikes fall, it seems. who's fault? hardly the point once on the ground

i "centerstand" mine sometimes, too. i do not like hopping on when on the stand, however. and if i do "pushing" it off the stand can surprise a person on some surfaces. here at home on concrete it just wants to slide on the stand before it drops. i am sure a solution exists (rubber boots on its "legs" maybe) but its not a huge issue being i don't use the stand too often

when i do use the stand i use the technique you used when your bike fell. i push it "off" the centerstand and let it fall to the kickstand side of the bike. so far so good but as said it is not done too often, preferring to use the kickstand most of the time when parked

that said i have had two low speed drops which are another story for another time. bike intact, ego out of whack, but i'll live with it

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity why don't you like sitting on it on the center stand? Its actually very stable. Coming from riding tall dual sports I've got accustomed to standing on the peg then throwing a leg over the bike, that builds a lot of trust in your kickstand and center stand

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity why don't you like sitting on it on the center stand? Its actually very stable. Coming from riding tall dual sports I've got accustomed to standing on the peg then throwing a leg over the bike, that builds a lot of trust in your kickstand and center stand

Yeah, that's what I normally do. The road is seriously crowned in the spot I had the bike and I was at a 45 degree to the crown if that makes any sense. Shoulda' just kept it on the side stand. I normally have no problem getting it off the center stand, but the angle I had it at forced the bike onto the rear wheel, so I couldn't get it off. Little bird legs. I'll try to snap a photo of the damage tomorrow... just the right plastic got scratched.

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
well they say "it happens." and more often then some might think. and not the sort of "drop" where you lay it down, or even moving. sometimes bikes fall, it seems. who's fault? hardly the point once on the ground

i "centerstand" mine sometimes, too. i do not like hopping on when on the stand, however. and if i do "pushing" it off the stand can surprise a person on some surfaces. here at home on concrete it just wants to slide on the stand before it drops. i am sure a solution exists (rubber boots on its "legs" maybe) but its not a huge issue being i don't use the stand too often

when i do use the stand i use the technique you used when your bike fell. i push it "off" the centerstand and let it fall to the kickstand side of the bike. so far so good but as said it is not done too often, preferring to use the kickstand most of the time when parked

that said i have had two low speed drops which are another story for another time. bike intact, ego out of whack, but i'll live with it

I used to ride a Burgman 650. Yep, the scooter... dropped it in a waffle house parking lot, sat down, ordered my eggs, and never looked up. Talk about an ego hit :thumbup:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site

oh, i am still getting used to the weight of the bike, and its size. i am used to pushing small scooters off center stands, not motorcycles. so it feels strange, yet familiar.

i will take your advice, however. why not get to know the bike while parked? isn't that what i even posted before? "it happens." and mostly while parked, or parking

but maybe it doesn't have to if i use all the tools available to me? like a centerstand ;)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never actually been on a scooter but while sitting on it i can see it being way different from the fz so I can see where y'all are coming from. Its all a learning experience we all drop we all fall, hell I've droped every bike I've owner and laid them all down numerous times (minus my new baby but its time will come) every time I drop em every time I go down I try to learn what I did wrong, might leave a little paint, a little blood, a little rubber behind but I always pick it back up and hit it harder than I ever did before, ride it out or slide it out

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
((SNIP))
If that don't work do what I do, put it it 1st get the tire spinning pull the clutch in then rock it back. You'll hear it bark but no bite and she will pop right off the stand

I knew that was coming! ^^ lol ^^

At 5.10" 32" inseam, its easy to throw a leg over the bike but honest, I've had more close calls moving it while on it than from the side. A couple weeks back I placed my boot on a nice round pebble while that leg was taking all the weight and nearly dropped the bike when my foot went flying out!
I know some swear by being on the bike, but I am not that one.

FWIW: so far no drops while on the bike and into season # 4, so other than her nap from centerstand dipping through the asphalt, no rider downs. :thumbup:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with OP comments. I've dropped more bikes in the garage than riding. Well, maybe not, but I've dropped my share. Very frustrating I know.
For coming off the center stand I've found it helps to cover and use the front brake to let 'er down slowly. It puts you more in control.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with OP comments. I've dropped more bikes in the garage than riding. Well, maybe not, but I've dropped my share. Very frustrating I know.
For coming off the center stand I've found it helps to cover and use the front brake to let 'er down slowly. It puts you more in control.

Just make sure the wheel is NOT turned to the inside of WHICH EVER side your on as grabbing the brake will throw it over center the opposite direction the wheel is turned.

Wheel straight ahead only. :thumbup: