What do you do for bike security?

TCSubaruDrift13

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Id like to know what everyone uses for security on their motorcycles.
Disk Locks/ Chains/ Cables/ ect.

Im in the market for such items and would like some advice on what people recommend and what to avoid. As of right now ill be starting with a chain lock, not sure on the brand though.

Thanks!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Best security, at least overnight, a garage! To be honest, I don't like the idea of having to lock and chain up my bike, it's a big PIA. In the event it gets stolen, that's what insurance is for.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xena-Intelligent-Security-STAINLESS-XX-14/dp/B0036GNSGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433396463&sr=8-1&keywords=xx14&pebp=1433396461193&perid=1ZFRBQJ753TP34Q8KA8P"]Amazon.com: Xena Intelligent Security ALARM LOCK, STAINLESS STEEL XX-14: Automotive[/ame]

One in front, and another in the rear(XX10). I disabled the alarm function. You can buy the optional adapter to chain the lock to a fence, tree etc.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can i dble .....no triple thank you for that mick - that is the biggest 'what made me laugh today' comment
An absolute ripper

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Bassieh

Dark Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been a supporter of Abus locks and chains. Now using a chain combined with disclock from them. Chain always around an immovable object! Lamppost or steel drainpipe for example. In the Netherlands insurance company can demand the use of an ART certified lock of at least class 4. ( 2 is usually for normal bicycles, 3 for scooters and 4/5 for motorcycles)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read an insurance co. recommendation article for MC security and it said to be aware of your surroundings when you come home. If you suspect a vehicle might be interested in you, vary your path home. Cover your bike. They say that when a bike is covered it's less attractive to the spur of the moment thief.

Bind it to a relatively immoveable object with a good cable and disc lock. There are different alarm systems with remotes that can page you. The better the alarm the better the encryption. The better systems change the encryption codes when they handshake with the remote.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I liked the "Fight Club" comment, very good!

Many years ago when I subscribed to Cycle World there was a line in an article I have never forgotten... "you go into a hardware store to buy a length of chain to lock up your bike. The guy in the store cuts it with a pair of bolt cutters. Right behind you is a customer waiting to buy a pair of those same bolt cutters"

Or words to that effect.

If mine is not in the garage or at work, anywhere else I just lock the steering. It is never left in a public access area overnight.

I do have a U lock somewhere though.

zpdrumer

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Usually nothing. But if I'm in a sketchy place I use my disk lock. And sometimes lock the handle bars. That's about it.

Also if you have your bike parked in front of a curb I always push the tire right up against the curb and place the lock as close to the brake as possible. So you can't even roll the bike short of getting some people to pick it up. And honestly it some dude wants my bike bad enough to pick it up and carry it away..... At that point he can have it. They went through all the trouble. Haha

But in all honesty no one wants to steal an fz6. That's the biggest deterrent of all. If I had a zx6r or a r1 I might worry. But really, I think our bikes are safe