• Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I Would Like To Know What Type And Weight Of Oil That Others Are Using. This Will Be My 2nd Service. Is There Anything Else That Is Really Needed At That Enterval? The Bike Has About 1800 Miles On It.

Thanks Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

You know that is a very very popular question. The answer of course is....
It depends.

I found most of what I needed to know here.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
If you want me to boil it down to the oils I use I will.
Either Mobil One 15-50 extended service to 15k mile oil (dont go that far with it on a bike obviously)
Mobil One SUV/Diesel light truck oil.
Rotella T full synthetic.

In my truck I use Mobil One 5w-20 synth, and always always always use the purolator pure one filter. It costs more, but it is better. Lots better, not just a little better but a whole lot better.

You asked what else is needed.
Have you checked your pinch bolts and engine cover bolts for tightness? How about your brake calipers? Whats the tension on your chain like? Its all in the owners manual or there is a service manual below your post in pdf form, you could read that. Also there are links below your post to the same info I linked to, and to the oil filter info.
Hope you have a great day.

T

tfiedler

Is this Rotella T the same stuff I have seen at Walmart? It says something about triple protection and it is a 15-50 I think.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Castro twin valve motorcycle oil, available at any motorcycle shop. They have various weights depending on the dlimate you ride in.

W

wrightme43

Yes in a blue jug it will say Rotella T synth oil.
Pretty much any oil is fine as long as you change it. Its just when there is a problem, or on extended service that synth really shines.

Lee510

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil at 3100 miles. Put in 20W-40 per the Yamaha mechanics recommendation.

I was wearing heavy gloves all the time back then, so I didn't notice the increased vibrations in the bars. Once the temps started to warm and summer gloves came out, my hands numbed and right wrist ached after about 10 miles.

Looking for some grips last week in another shop and told the owner about the vibes. He asked about the oil. He said that 20W-40 was pretty heavy and would cause some vibration. I had Yamaha 10W-30 and a filter at home, so I changed it Sat. What a difference! Still a slight vibration, but nothing like before. No more numb hands or sore wrist. I won't put the heavy stuff in there again!

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For my first oil change the parts guy (well kid really) at my dealership recommended I use 15w-40 and he cautioned me not to use a full synthetic oil until after the first two changes. He said it would not allow enough friction to break in the motor correctly - FWIW. (This kid could be full of sh*t for all I know.) I plan to do my second change this weekend with ~1,500 mi on the bike. I used a factory filter before, but I think I will try and find one of Steve's Purolator Pure One filters since he likes it so much. :)

W

wrightme43

LOL its not mine, its from people a whole lot smarter than me. It is a whole lot better than most filters though.

The thing about not using synth untill 1500 miles is not wrong but not right in my opinion.
Corvette, Porsch, and many others start life from the factory with synth. I swapped at 250 miles. I did the second change at 3000 miles, its at 4800 miles today.

Last edited by a moderator:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
We use high revving engines, so they should be changed more frequently than cars. I do 3,000 miles / 3 months, but on cars I go longer, like the manufacturer says.

I mention that because I use Supertech aka Walmart brand. Why? All natural oils ARE the same. People will give you voodoo and blackmagic reasons on why thats not so but I know better. Scientifically, synthetic oils are supreme because they last long, dont break down by heat like natural oils, but they still get dirty. Thats why I don't use it for my engine, because its a waste to change the synthetic oil every 3 months/3000 miles...you're not going to see the benefits of that choice and you might as well use natural oils. Walmart oil is the cheapest, and refined by the same people that make x,y,z.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
The weight of your oil should depend on your climate. I dont live where it freezes and I garage it anyways, so I use the oem high temp limit. (10w 40 if I remember right).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We use high revving engines, so they should be changed more frequently than cars. I do 3,000 miles / 3 months, but on cars I go longer, like the manufacturer says.

I mention that because I use Supertech aka Walmart brand. Why? All natural oils ARE the same. People will give you voodoo and blackmagic reasons on why thats not so but I know better. Scientifically, synthetic oils are supreme because they last long, dont break down by heat like natural oils, but they still get dirty. Thats why I don't use it for my engine, because its a waste to change the synthetic oil every 3 months/3000 miles...you're not going to see the benefits of that choice and you might as well use natural oils. Walmart oil is the cheapest, and refined by the same people that make x,y,z.
Am I missing something, the 3000 mile change I can see the logic, but why 3 months? I dont cover 3000 miles in three months. Is this because less regular used bikes will have oil standing and de-grading? Yours most thickly Neil, ps my dealer was telling me to service, whch I also presumed ol change every six months. Its this right?

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
You want to replace the oil every three months because later on down the road oil can make gaskets leak from the oil just sitting. I have to change my oil once every two months because it is my main mode of transportation. :thumbup: I average almost as many miles on a bike per year as most people do in a car. Last year i put a little over 19,000 miles between my two bikes.

W

wrightme43

Oil holds some byproducts of combustion, in the prescence of water that can create acids that etch and destroy the bearings. Now the three month thing, nope dont mean a thing to me.
When the oil is not getting condensation, no acids. late spring summer early fall. No problems. Winter and the cold parts of spring and fall, moisture condenses and you have acids.
I dont agree that all oils are the same. Cheap oil if full of parifin waxes. Its like taking good oil, and melting a candle in it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Several of you have mentioned changing your oil every 3,000 miles, but the service interval in the manual for my '07 is 4,000. Did Yamaha recently up the recommendation or are you guys just not taking any chances?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
They're livign in the past when oil and engines were more crude...my 2000 tacoma said 6,000 miles between oil changes. the oil industry works very close with the auto industry too...so if you went synthetic, you could easily go 10k.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
the service interval in the manual for my '07 is 4,000. Did Yamaha recently up the recommendation or are you guys just not taking any chances?

Some people feel more comfortable, I guess, with a 3,000 mile oil change schedule. I tend to think that if you are not riding in adverse conditions the recommended oil change interval by the manufacturer is fine. One could argue you could go even longer without harm.

You will not find people that have cooked engines because they have followed the manufactures recommendations.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
think about this

I read an article where many people use mobil 1 synth oil on their fz6 and actually can damage the bike. The reason most use the mobil 1 is to stop the clunking from the drivetrain when shifting. Actually the tranny is designed to clunk like that for a reason. I"m not 100% what that good reason is, but the mobil 1 oil is so slick it actually burns the clutch really fast.
Can anyone verify if that is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.