what is the normal operating temperature?

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
under normal conditions my bike's temperature is round 180 but sometimes in town and lot of traffic around when you're unable to even shift to third the temperature jumps to 200-230 and of course fan goes off! Im a newby,just boght a new 2008... Should i be worried about it,i dont want it to overheat!

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine during summer last year and was running the same temps as you, in fall-winter ihave been about 175 and i think the bike actually runs better when its hotter.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
During the heat of last summer I was running anywhere from 190-210. I don't ever remember it going over 210, but I never sat still for more than a traffic light. This winter is a whole differand animal, i'm lucky if i hit 180.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dont worry about the temp, it can change at any time. It deppends on where you are, how long is the bike running. I live in Florida, and the temp could be at 170ish and the next time it it could be 230ish. That's why the one great thing about the FZ6, it's liquid cooled instead of air cooled.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you should only start to worry if the fan doesn't kick on, other than that bike is smart enough to cool itself off.

H

HavBlue

My gauge doesn't read in numbers, only in bars and 4 bars is normal....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your fine. Mine hit 206, 208 yesterday in traffic. It was about 78 yesterday. 90 on tap for Friday, I'm sure I'll see a new high.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe on the newer one with numbers, if it overheats it will say HI like how it says LO when you first crank her up. I have yet to confirm this thankfully.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder what the oil temp is?

has anyone put an oil temp/pressure gauge on their fz? I would be intersted in that mod. (as well as all of the others) I put gauges in my car and it tells you a lot about its condition. (voltmeter showed me it was time for a new batt before I got stranded)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
On my FZ I would only have 2 bars, but this is in the colder weather. It would get up to three when I set in traffic. After changing my coolant over to Engine Ice, I can sit in traffic and it wont go up to three. However on the trip back with some bad gas and idle issues I got back up to three and saw 4 once.

On the back of the Engine Ice bottle it says it will lower coolant temps up to 50 degree F.

As far as gauges, Im going to install a small voltmeter on my bike since I know we has a low voltage out put and I am running various electronics on my bike now. Oil temp would be interesting, I put one on my Z-28 and I was amazed at how much longer it takes oil to heat up as compared to the coolant get up to temp. I would interested in adding a oil temp gauge, but I would have to do some investigation into a small clean looking gauge, and where to mount it.

-bryan

AndrewTolson

Reaction score
Visit site
under normal conditions my bike's temperature is round 180 but sometimes in town and lot of traffic around when you're unable to even shift to third the temperature jumps to 200-230 and of course fan goes off! Im a newby,just boght a new 2008... Should i be worried about it,i dont want it to overheat!

Hi
Are you talking °F or °C please

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
Are you talking °F or °C please

they are talking farheinheit.
my 5 mile ride to office brings from low to 180 with no traffic and upto 210 on heavy traffic, but weekend, I see 220-230 and hear the fan kick in :)

I usually see their location below their name, if I get such doubt, most of the time, it helps. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: coolant stat opens at 165°F (74C) so after that it is mainly dependent on air flow and ambient temps.

S2 kicks the fan on at roughly 205°F (96C).