What is your default lane position and why?

What is your default lane posiiton and why?

• Left

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Middle

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Right

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • No default

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What portion of the lane do you ride in? Meaning left, middle or right within a lane, and why? Of course, it's expected for a rider to constantly change their positions during their ride for various reasons, but most rider's usually has a default position.

I elect the left portion, the area where the left tires would occupy from a car. It allows me to be seen from both mirrors (side and rear) if I'm following a vehicle. It prevents me from hiding behind a vehicle in the event a car is coming from the opposite direction. And it provides better traction versus the middle where debris and other lubricants may accumulate from other vehicles.

Obviously, the positions would be reversed for the countries that ride on the opposite side, so for those folks who are located in those countries, you can still participate, just use your right as our left.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
If your talking about a single lane road (ie. one lane of traffic flowing in either direction) then I pick the lane where if I was in the drivers seat of a car I would be on the same side. You can see out around the vehicle in front etc. On a two lane road, I stay on the side where I am closest to my fellow traffic going the same direction as me ie. in the passing lane stay on the right, in the slow lane stay on the left.

I do this for the primary reason of guarding my lane, I dont want people taking a portion of my lane to go around someone just because im not occupying the whole thing as they might do with a cyclist on the shoulder.

So I drift back and forth between the two sides depending on the scenario. but like I said, guarding my lane is pretty much the only reason and goal

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I chose no default because I like to choose a lane position based upon the type of road and the setting. I usually end up in the left side of the lane so I can maximize visibility and have the move room to move in the case of an emergency.

But with that said, I find myself riding in groups a lot and I do try to keep a staggered formation. Other times, when I know I have a certain turn to make, I will move myself to the right side of the lane. And I usually sit in the middle of the lane at stop lights and stop signs to be more visible to other drivers.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't remember ever being on a road quiet enough where I could have a default position. I'm constantly adjusting to other road users and poor road surfaces. Hence "no default"

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
depends on the road conditions and various other things

Sometimes I'll ride in the middle, sometimes in the car tracks to avoid debris in the middle. On a left bend I might move to the right to give me better visibility, and vice-versa. Also bear in mind that in the UK we drive on the left.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about posting this poll previously, but I was sure it must have been done before. I'm glad that you have. Anyway, my .02$, I prefer to ride left of center for a couple of reasons. I prefer to let the vehicle that I may be following know that I am there, I prefer to "drive" through the vehicle in front of me and look further down down the road, but don't lose sight the vehicle in front of you. I will move around sometimes when a vehicle is waiting to enter traffic, just to help make sure that they see me. The people that tend to "inch out" before entering traffic make me the most nervous.
I also have to say that the first and most safety related mod to to date was the dual light mod (@motogiro). I am convinced that this has immensely helped with my visibility and (knock on wood) have not had anybody turn in front of me since. I do not understand why everybody has not put this mod on their list.
:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There may not be a rider who changes their position more than me, but after all said and done, I find myself working back to the left side. Even though my left is my default, whenever I see vehicles cued up in the left hand turn lane, I switch to the right portion just in case one of the cars decides to change their mind and decides to get out the turn lane and continue straight.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Statistically speaking. ( as per numbers offered by my last defensive driving class) its way safer to go into the right lane as often as possible.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Statistically speaking. ( as per numbers offered by my last defensive driving class) its way safer to go into the right lane as often as possible.

Some of you may have misinterpreted the poll, we are talking about a motorcycle occupying within a lane, not choosing which lanes.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Though I agree with VR in all the things he mentioned about the left portion of the lane being advantageous, I still tend to occupy the middle. I think it's just a habit from driving and wanting to keep my car in the middle of the lane. I think I also get put off from the oncoming traffic if it's a two lane, non-divided highway.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right of lane (we ride opposite side of the road to you....) and to the left of the centre line. This ensures cars can see me.

So many riders of bikes but more likely scooters, ride almost in the hard shoulder. Drivers don't see bikes there.

Also see a lot of riders in the middle of the lane - ok for highway riding but once you get into traffic, there's a lot of oil etc in the centre of the lane - too slippery.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Right of lane (we ride opposite side of the road to you....) and to the left of the centre line. This ensures cars can see me.

So many riders of bikes but more likely scooters, ride almost in the hard shoulder. Drivers don't see bikes there.

Also see a lot of riders in the middle of the lane - ok for highway riding but once you get into traffic, there's a lot of oil etc in the centre of the lane - too slippery.

That would be our version of riding on the left portion within the lane. I would occupy the same position as you mentioned if I were down in Australia.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps I'm a switch hitter....
In short, any single lane bi-directional road and I'm riding in the left of my lane. But if anything or anyone is on the right (as in ABOUT to pull out) - I move there and swerve gently to be seen. It depends on traffic and IF they HAVE OR SEE OPPORTUNITY TO PULL OUT!

I'm all about filling my own hole so I have my whole lane to me.

As lanes increase to 2 and 3 in the same direction, I pick the inner or outer lane only passing through the middle.
- If on the inner (right side) I ride left.
- If on the outside lane, I ride on the right.

===================

In groups I stagger from the lead.
If lead in a group I ride the same as above.

But in general, I ride so I can see and bee seen. I'll switch as needed to favor my position.

===================

Totally off topic and something I found interesting.
- During an eye exam I was told that 95% of those taking the depth perception test bail out 1/2 through unable to determine the high point orientation of a distant object. Eyes are working well and I passed 100% of all eye tests with 100% accuracy.
I'm not sure this is a factor in living but I must admit, depth of field, field width, and clarity is a plus! Can't imagine NOT having it!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
D E F P O T E C

that's the 20/20 line on the eye chart. I've had perfect vision for a while ;)

I will get new eyes when i can afford them

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally follow the drivers side wheel track and filter as needed

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Last edited:

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to gravitate towards the left side for all the same reasons VR listed, plus one. I do a lot of in city commuting and I have this unsettling concern of someone nosing out into traffic and I go over the hood.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Left side of my lane when on the backroads with minimal traffic.

Now when going around a curve I always stick to the right side especially on left curves because 9 times out of 10 if a huge truck is going to be oncoming it will happen mid-curve and if you are leaned over in the left position of the lane you won't be able to easily go wide if necessary.

On freeways I stick to the outside of the lane, give cars space and stay out of blind spots by adjusting my lane position depending on the cars around me.

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
I mostly stick to the left tire track, but if I'm caught in ugly traffic I'll weave within the lane with my high beam on for visibility. If I find another bike and he doesn't ride like a total douche I'll try to fall in formation.