What pressures do you set your tires at?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Dunlop D252's on my 06 FZ6 and have them set at the (manual) recommended tire pressures of 33 lbs front and 36 lbs rear.
I'm wondering what pressures you more experienced folks are running in your tires, particularly the Dunlops? :)
Once these tires are worn out, I'm installing Pirelli Diablo Corsa's, which I've heard a lot of good things about.

S

sportrider

the stocks I used to run at 35/40
I have michelin pilot powers now. if I'm sport riding I'll run them at 30/32 , if I'm just commuting I run them at 36/42.
running the lower pressures seems to give me a little more confidence when pushing it in the twistys. if I run them at the lower psi all the time the front tire is cupped at around 2000 miles and the rear squares of after 1000 miles (this is my 2nd set of PPs I have 1800mi on these and there wearing alot better) I ran a set of Shinko 005s between the michelins, I kept the psi at 33/36 they wore well but they are a harder tire them the PPs ( more of a sport touring tire than a pure sport tire )

I'm also interested in what other riders are running. for what its worth I weigh 225lbs

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running 35/40, weigh 230 lbs but admit I haven't experimented at all; that just seemed to be the right numbers from the manual for my weight (and the tires are gripping just fine for as far as I've dared lean it over so far!)

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 200-210lbs and with my backpack I probably go close to 230lbs so I go with the factory recommendation of 36lbs front/42lbs rear.
I wore out the 252's at about 5500 miles and never had any problems at those settings.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I can't deny my inner geek being a mechanical engineer and all, I assumed a linear relationship between the two points in the manual, drew the lines for front and rear, and pick pressures based on my weight and how much stuff I have with me. I then adjsut a little based on what kind of riding I'm going to do (err a little hard for slabbing, a little soft for twisties). Incidentally I end up ~35F/38-40R most of the time but I'm almost 250 lb w/o gear.
Here's the chart.

Last edited:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
dont forget about ambient temps. all these variables is why i go by % of pressure gain from cold to hot. different tires also have different carcass thickness and flexure too, which will change the optimal pressure needed. generally i air mine up to max psi for commuting though. if im going to need good grip, ill aim for 25% gain.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I can't deny my inner geek being a mechanical engineer and all, I assumed a linear relationship between the two points in the manual, drew the lines for front and rear, and pick pressures based on my weight and how much stuff I have with me.
Here's the chart.

Nice chart! Can you adjust the values to read from 130+ (for the smaller riders here)?

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Powers, 200 lbs, 33/36.

This is what I run with twisties in mind. I need to get a tire pump for the house because I currently air-up at the local gas station. The idea of increasing psi during the weekly commutes is a kicka$$ idea! Why the heck didn't I think of that?

Jake

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually stick close to the OEM settings, 34/38. Have the Dunlop Roadsmart in the rear and the BT20 in the front.
Do we need to adjust pressure of tire when cold or hot? I was told that when the tires hot, once it cools down the PSI will be higher becuase the molecules expand in the heat then regroup once cold? I'm not sure i fully understood...lol

H

HavBlue

Since I can't deny my inner geek being a mechanical engineer and all, I assumed a linear relationship between the two points in the manual, drew the lines for front and rear, and pick pressures based on my weight and how much stuff I have with me. I then adjust a little based on what kind of riding I'm going to do (err a little hard for slabbing, a little soft for twisties). Incidentally I end up ~35F/38-40R most of the time but I'm almost 250 lb w/o gear.
Here's the chart.

God I do love engineers but lets get technical for a moment. Take the pressure data (cold) from the side of the tires, Add the two figures for max together. Take the known weight of the bike full wet and add the ride ready weight of the rider and associated gear. Divide the GVW by the total max weight rating of the two tires to get a percentage. Now take the max pressure rating cold and set it to the percentage your math came up with. This will give you a base line pressure for the tires based on GVW relative to the maximum rating on the tire and established by the tire manufacturer not the bike manufacturer. It's a great place to start and you will not likely need to change it by more than a pound or two.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
God I do love engineers but lets get technical for a moment. Take the pressure data (cold) from the side of the tires, Add the two figures for max together. Take the known weight of the bike full wet and add the ride ready weight of the rider and associated gear. Divide the GVW by the total max weight rating of the two tires to get a percentage. Now take the max pressure rating cold and set it to the percentage your math came up with. This will give you a base line pressure for the tires based on GVW relative to the maximum rating on the tire and established by the tire manufacturer not the bike manufacturer. It's a great place to start and you will not likely need to change it by more than a pound or two.

Huh? Is that in English? ;)

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm about 200-210lbs and with my backpack I probably go close to 230lbs so I go with the factory recommendation of 36lbs front/42lbs rear.
I wore out the 252's at about 5500 miles and never had any problems at those settings.

I'm about the same size and use these as well. I've got about 8K on the stock tires, but they are going on Monday for some Conti RoadAttacks.

H

HavBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6xlr8r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted By Doorag View Post
I'm about the same size and use these as well. I've got about 8K on the stock tires, but they are going on Monday for some Conti RoadAttacks.

Interesting, I got 11,200 out of the 252 OEM tires before going with the Attack tire. The Attack tire is awesome, good luck.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6xlr8r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted By Doorag View Post

Interesting, I got 11,200 out of the 252 OEM tires before going with the Attack tire. The Attack tire is awesome, good luck.

They aren't completely worn out yet, but I don't want to wait. Basically I want to get the new tyres so I'm telling Mrs. Doorag that the old ones are shagged. ;)

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
the tire manufacturer has it stamped on the side of the tire what they should run at. I would not vary to much off of that maybe a pound or 2. Remember what happened with bridgestone a few years ago all the tires blowing out on vehicles. Ford was the oly vehicle it was happening on and it was due to them telling people in the (MANUAL) that they should set the air pressure at 35psi when they should have been running that tire at 45psi per the tire manufacturer specs. I dont know about you but if the tire is made to run at 42psi like both front and rear dunlop sportmax have stamped on them i am going to be real close to that. I right now have them at 40 psi not going to go any lower than that. If you run a tire low on air pressure it can get to hot and destroy itself or wear out prematurly. :spank:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice chart! Can you adjust the values to read from 130+ (for the smaller riders here)?

Didn't realize until now that this thread came back to life. In any event, as requested - I expanded the chart and it's attached.

To HavBlue's comment - not suggesting there's a lot of science here (it's just a straight line between the two points in the manual after all) - but it's where I started and I liked where it took me enough to stay there. Mostly it just saves me from thinking when deviate from my normal by loading up for a long trip. But thanks - out of curiosity I now have to try your math and see how different it is :)

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
But thanks - out of curiosity I now have to try your math and see how different it is :)

HavBlue - can't seem to get your suggested method to give me sensible numbers because the tire capability max weight is so high compared to actual bike weights. I end up with 17 psi fronts so I must be missing something - oh well, curiosity quenched.:don'tknow: