what should my next bike-project be?

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Given the wealth of experience/knowledge here, thought I'd see if anyone wants to weigh in. Still pretty inexperienced with regards to small-engine/mechanical stuff, but so far I've done some minor fixups of an '83 Nighthawk and a '90 suzuki dr100 (for my kid). Looking to pick up a new winter project - minimal initial $ investment, more of a long-term project, learning, etc. Tho' I toyed with the idea of a old bmw->cafe', right now I seem to be fascinated with the early-90s chunky-tail-and-dbl-round-headlight sportbikes (with plastics - nothing naked)... specifically, casting about for either:

- yamaha fzr 600
- yamaha fzr 1000
- honda cbr 900rr

Opinions welcome - they don't even have to be informed ;)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This was my project last winter.

Cafe Racer Left.jpg
Cafe Racer Rear Far.jpg

This was my first custom bike project. I had so much fun I made another and right now I'm doing custom work on my FZ6. Be warned, it can get expensive.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. It was a fun project. Even though the bike only makes 30hp, its an absolute blast to ride. Like the old saying; I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I did a lot of suspension work to the bike (same work I did to my FZ6 forks) and it handles & rides great.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gary that looks so great!

Is it the photograph or is the rear end shifted off to the left side? It looks like there is a spacer on the left shock and the swing arm is aligned left?

attachment.php

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The left shock does sit out further than the right. The Savage was originally a belt drive so the shock offset is larger than what you'd typically see on a twin shock swingarm to accommodate the 1-1/4" wide belt. The swingarm itself is properly centered. Here are a few more. You'll see from the rear-side shot that the offset just blends in.

Cafe Racer Left Rear.jpg
Cafe Racer Front.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The left shock does sit out further than the right. The Savage was originally a belt drive so the shock offset is larger than what you'd typically see on a twin shock swingarm to accommodate the 1-1/4" wide belt. The swingarm itself is properly centered. Here are a few more. You'll see from the rear-side shot that the offset just blends in.

Thank you for the info on that. That bike looks so sweet!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
<snip>....right now I seem to be fascinated with the early-90s chunky-tail-and-dbl-round-headlight sportbikes (with plastics - nothing naked)... specifically, casting about for either:

- yamaha fzr 600
- yamaha fzr 1000
- honda cbr 900rr

Opinions welcome - they don't even have to be informed ;)

The answer seems to be two-fold.... 1) my neighbor gave he a bike he had languishing in his garage, a project that never got off the ground... a 1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim, and then 2) just found/bought a fixer-upper project, an '87 FZR1000 (she's a bit rough, but the plastics are in pretty good shape given the age). Not doing any crazy, or extensive as Gary... the XJ is a straight rehab and sell on Craigslist, and might even recoup enough to cover the FZR1000. Man do I love that shape... and the colors? Bright red rims? Just love it.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few photos of my latest project. It's a work in progress. While mechanically complete, it is not cosmetically finished.

The project actually started when I found a NOS '73 TS-125 fuel tank on eBay. Then I needed a bike to install it on. I owned quote a few TS and TC bikes in the 70's and I wanted to make a modern tribute to those great enduro's. An Australian company by the name of Elesped took on a similar conversion using a Suzuki DRZ as the bones of the project. What we are looking at here is a street legal 2003 KLX400/DRZ400 that I found for cheap. The bike was in very rough shape, but I was looking for an unloved bike because I was going to make some significant changes to it.

IMG_2706.jpg

I worked on the bike during the winter of 2017 and rode it for about 500 miles late last summer. I put it back on my bike stand this winter to complete/reshape the plastics at the rear and to rework the suspension. I'm dropping the forks and shock by 2 inches as I don't need 11 inches of travel on the street (the shock is being internally lowered by 3/4" which will result in a 2" drop). The bike is a hoot to ride. It's a bit delayed because I converted my FZ6 into a naked bike this winter as well.

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg