What's the best Action Camcorder GoPro, Drift, Contour, Adixxion, or other?

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to get a action camcorder. I purchased a GoPro Hero2 Outdoor edition that immediately crapped itself with the v198 "brick" error message when it attempted to update firmware. I returned it and now want to get something that will be reliable, provide good video for potential motovlogging, and be easy to mount and use. I am looking to drop $200-$400(ebay pricing if possible, lol) I have looked at the following options:

GoPro HD Hero 3 (prefer black edition $399/possible silver$299)

HERO3 Comparison Chart

Pros:
1. Black edition has 1080p:60fps and 720p:120fps (good for super-slomo)
2. 12 MP camera that can take pictures during video
3. Black Edition has wifi remote included and silver edition has app for smart phone for controls
4. Has Waterproof case included
5. Many different mount options
6. Integrated wifi
7. Black edition has 4k and 2.7k recording capabilities.

Cons:
1. Bad experience with HD Hero 2 "brick" firmware problem. Also GoPro website already has firmware fixes up for Hero3 that is making me scared.
2. Flying Brick design (can anyone speak to helmet drag (i.e. over posted speed limits) when mounted there? I was thinking over the right or left shoulder (I have a modular helmet that is already heavy enough))
3. No TFT LCD on camera (but has app to allow viewing on smart phone), option to purchase wifi remote for $80 bucks (included on Black edition that does have LCD on remote for camera settings not view finding)
4. Non-rotatable lense must do with editing software.
5. No GPS

Drift HD Ghost - $399.00

Drift HD Ghost Action Camera | Two Way Remote | 2 Inch Gorilla Glass LCD Screen | Video Tagging | Photoburst | Timelapse | Drift Innovation

Pros:
1. Integrated LCD touchscreen monitor and speaker
2. Drift FlashbackTM Video Tag/Loop - allows you to tag the previous five minutes that were not being recorded. Awesome if you are trying to conserve battery life and microSD space but manage to carve some awesome twisties unexpectedly.
3. Longer battery life (bigger better battery)
4. Rotatable lense
5. 11 MP camera with Photoburst funciton
6. RF remote with LED indicating camera operation

Cons:
1. 1080p30fps and 720p60fps is the best it can do.
2. Waterproof case is seperate (not really needed for moto)
3. No GPS

Contour +2 GPS - $399.99

Contour+ 2 | Contour

Pros:
1. Instant on switch
2. Sleek bullet design (should be best for helmet mount) with rotatable lense up to 270 degrees
3. Slow Mo 480p120fps
4. Mobile app can control all video settings and view finding
5. GPS mapping capability (can map altitude and speed on google maps satelite image for your route and matches to video) (may not be cool if LE gets ahold of it, :Flip:the police)
6. Includes waterproof case

Cons:
1. 1080p30fps and 720p60fps is best it can do
2. 5 MP is best the camera can do
3. No integrated LCD or speaker
4. Can't review video with mobile app (yet)

JVC Adixxion (GC-XA1) - $299.95

Action Camera - GC-XA1BUS - Specifications

Pros:

1. LCD display: can review previous footage and viewfinder.
2. Digital Image Stabiliser (DIS)
3. Stream via Hotspot or wifi directly to PC/laptop and Wireless data transfer

Cons
1. 1080p30fps and 720p60fps is best it can do
2. 5 MP is best the camera can do
3. No GPS
4. Newer player so mounts may be difficult to come by at first.

It seems GoPro black edition has the obvious advantage in regard to video quality but my concern is the non-aerodynamic nature that will make my already heavy helmet (HJC CL-Max II - XXL) that grabs enough wind drag already to make my neck sore in around 30 minutes that much more uncomfortable. I guess I could just go for a suction cup mount on the bike and leave it at that. But I think that would make motovloggin all but annoying having an external mic cord running all over the place.

I tried searching the other threads and didn't find anything that quite covers the full topic, so hopefully I dont' get a wrist slap for redundant posting. Please if you have had any experience with these product or possibly older versions let me know.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
what do you plan on using it for?

gopro would be my preferred choice, I have a chest mount for mine which is less vertigo inducing than the helmet mount

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you plan on using it for?

gopro would be my preferred choice, I have a chest mount for mine which is less vertigo inducing than the helmet mount

I intend to primarily use if for motovlogging and video. I like the helmet cam approach because as a noob I want to pay attention or catch myself at any possible target fixation and catch the scenery (I live in AZ and this time of year is beautiful). I was thinking about a suction cup mount on the tank, fairing, front wheel splash guard and rear fender views. Because of the various mounting surfaces I was thinking something with a rotatable lense would be better. Thoughts?

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned a GoPro (old model) and a new Countour Roam but have since sold both.

The footage is nicer with a GoPro and it has much better mounting systems and accessories. However I find the menu system to be downright painful. Plus I never knew if it was on or off.

The countour is 100x easier to use, single on off switch that is easily identifiable with gloves on. However the 170* lens leaves something to be desired. The rotating lens takes care of this but you are left with a more narrow field which isn't quite the right solution either.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
my gopro beeps and flashes

as far as the mounting goes the adhesive stickers are pretty sturdy, never heard of anybody's coming off

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i want the Hero3 Silver. its a little inferior to the black but i dont really care that much and it still has enough performance for me. the 60-120 fps is only noticeable if you are going super slow-mo.

the drift is a nice camera too though. ive seen some people using the old one and the video and sound quality were great.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The footage is nicer with a GoPro and it has much better mounting systems and accessories. However I find the menu system to be downright painful. Plus I never knew if it was on or off.

The countour is 100x easier to use, single on off switch that is easily identifiable with gloves on. However the 170* lens leaves something to be desired. The rotating lens takes care of this but you are left with a more narrow field which isn't quite the right solution either.

The nice thing about the new Hero3 is that I guess it has more lights to let you know if its on or not and if you go with the black edition it has the remote control which has an LCD readout that matches the cameras, you will know exactly what is going on. The Contour +2 has the smartphone app for viewfinding as well as laser for setting up shot and one button control that I guess is easy to tell.

The more I think about it I may have to give GoPro a second chance. I was so mad at my first experience though, I hate spending over $200 bucks on something and it doesn't work out of the box because it needs a firmware update.

I'm still waiting to hear how the Drift Ghost HD works, i am really intrested in that tag/loop funciton. I guess it has 256 mb of internal memory that can basically hold the last 5 minutes in ram that you can decide to keep after the fact.

Arggh, why can't someone make a camera with the best features of all of them into one. :confused:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Sony Action Cam - has advanced stabilisation and excellent dark lighting performance.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks, the Sony Action Cam I've seen the least informatin on, excpet that people don't like sony camcorders now days.

Does the dark lighting performance translate to bright sunny days as well? I'm in Arizona, southwest USA. We have 300+days of clear sky sunny days. Most of my riding is done during the day

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are many reviews out there, including day time action shots (skydiving etc)

The footage is excellent, you can use your phone as a viewfinder, it has built in WiFi, you can change settings on the camera and SEE what you're doing on the LCD (unlike the Contours where you need a computer), it's smaller, lighter than the competition and it comes with a waterproof housing.

Plus, it's cheap!

Cheers,
Rick

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
From my experience with a Contour+, hero 2, Sony action cam, and now hero 3, my vote goes to the Hero 3.

Once again from my experience the hero 3 has:

Best image quality
Best low light options
Best variety of shooting options, e.g fps and resolution
Best and readily available mounting solutions

The Contour has a nicer form factor and the giant switch is awesome, but doesn't beat the other facts.

Also from friends who have had issues with their hero2, whether they drop it or it starts shooting out I focus, Gopro has always taken care of them, usually by shipping them a new camera. I'm slightly annoyed that my hero 3 needs a firmware update already but that's a small price to pay for all the other benefits!

I did ride the other day for the first time with the Hero 3 stuck to the side of my helmet--I did feel some wind drag once it hit 60-65 mph. Check my recent post in the video section called "late november night ride" to see footage and a pic of my head mount setup.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
The nice thing about the new Hero3 is that I guess it has more lights to let you know if its on or not and if you go with the black edition it has the remote control which has an LCD readout that matches the cameras, you will know exactly what is going on. The Contour +2 has the smartphone app for viewfinding as well as laser for setting up shot and one button control that I guess is easy to tell.

The more I think about it I may have to give GoPro a second chance. I was so mad at my first experience though, I hate spending over $200 bucks on something and it doesn't work out of the box because it needs a firmware update.

I'm still waiting to hear how the Drift Ghost HD works, i am really intrested in that tag/loop funciton. I guess it has 256 mb of internal memory that can basically hold the last 5 minutes in ram that you can decide to keep after the fact.

Arggh, why can't someone make a camera with the best features of all of them into one. :confused:

The drift has the best profile for sure as far as wind/drag are concerned, i know the old one had a remote, and check out youtube for reviews. i know downshift83 (YT user) used to use a drift stealth cam and he liked it more than the Hero2 he had previously. also the Hero3 black edition can use a smartphone app i believe.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The drift has the best profile for sure as far as wind/drag are concerned, i know the old one had a remote, and check out youtube for reviews. i know downshift83 (YT user) used to use a drift stealth cam and he liked it more than the Hero2 he had previously. also the Hero3 black edition can use a smartphone app i believe.

From what I understand the Hero2 required the WiFi BacPac attached to it and then you could use the smartphone app. It was doing the firmware update to mate the WiFi BacPac that ruined my first one and I guess that is a semi-regular occurence.

The Hero3 line I believe all of them have integrated wifi that can run the wifi app to the smartphone. The issue i have heard there is that the update required to get it working has also crashed a few cameras. I think GoPro needs to get some better software/firmware guys in their shop.

As for the other contenders, the Countour +2 has the smart phone app for view findng and controls. The Drift Ghost has the app that allows for viewfinding, controls and PLAYBACK (WOW).

I still think I'm leaning for the Hero3 Black edition. We'll see how well the insurance takes care of me and how soon I can get back on the road.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
From my experience with a Contour+, hero 2, Sony action cam, and now hero 3, my vote goes to the Hero 3.

Once again from my experience the hero 3 has:

Best image quality
Best low light options
Best variety of shooting options, e.g fps and resolution
Best and readily available mounting solutions

The Contour has a nicer form factor and the giant switch is awesome, but doesn't beat the other facts.

Also from friends who have had issues with their hero2, whether they drop it or it starts shooting out I focus, Gopro has always taken care of them, usually by shipping them a new camera. I'm slightly annoyed that my hero 3 needs a firmware update already but that's a small price to pay for all the other benefits!

I did ride the other day for the first time with the Hero 3 stuck to the side of my helmet--I did feel some wind drag once it hit 60-65 mph. Check my recent post in the video section called "late november night ride" to see footage and a pic of my head mount setup.

With your editing software using Adobe CS, do you think doing the Cloud function for $50 per month is worth it? I mean for a year we are talking $600 and can quit anytime. Thoughts?

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
For me the price isn't worth it...I can get a student/teacher discount with my job which makes the Production Premium cost right around $500 for me. Also I had a full copy of Production Premium CS4 so that qualified me for an upgrade price to CS5.5 of around $450...

Adobe CS bundles generally last longer than a year before the next version comes out, so I would only do the month to month plan if I was for paid freelance work.

One other aspect is that usually you don't HAVE to upgrade to the next/newest version of CS when it comes out. Then you only pay $$$ once and it could last you two years--or more!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you that was a good article. It just sucks you can't get all the best features in one camera.

I do know that a YT motovloger Iamramekin loves his new Ghost HD. He chose it for the battery life. Seeing as the GoPro Hero3 is half the battery life, maybe that was their plan for a person to buy the battery bacpac.

Also that article referred back to the tagging or retrieivng video from the memory ram and saving being both on the drift and on the GoPro but I never saw it in any of GoPro's material.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good, I guess this thread is more specifically for the Action Camcorder crowd. I don't know if you can strap that MiniDV Handycam to a bike too easily.

Last edited:

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my Hero 3 Black Edition last week, but I have yet to use it. Got $100 off from their booth at SEMA, so I had to. haha

I still have to get a level 10 memory card first, but I'll let you know my experiences with it soon. Hopefully I'll be able to post some videos.