When Does Riding Season Start?

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
G'day folks,
Just purchased an fz6 over the winter (2006) and I am curious as to when the riding season starts up here in Edmonton as I am new to the city as well.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day folks,
Just purchased an fz6 over the winter (2006) and I am curious as to when the riding season starts up here in Edmonton as I am new to the city as well.

well i guess that depends on where you live but id say as soon as your brave enough to ride in what ever weather is around you :p for me in so cal it seems to be any time its not raining :p:rockon::rockon::rockon:

D

Dave.TX

40 degrees (Fahrenheit) and up is good for me, which in central Texas can be all year long save for a few days here and there. 60 degrees and up with my mesh jacket (liner in below 72). It's rough sometimes. It was 77 last Thursday afternoon, that was the last time I rode.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
My riding season is year round. Might take some time off in the middle of summer, but also going to take a vacation up north to beat the heat.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
Any time but ice is rideing time :rockon:

ok exept if bike in garage then its a pain in the ass :spank:

otherwise id be out there now :thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I think what he really wants to know is when spring comes to Edmonton because he just moved there.

Personally I wait till I can ride at least 2 hours without loosing a limb to frost bite.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day folks,

Well hopefully one or two of our other Edmonton riders can answer that question for you with more detail....
but I'd say, "as soon as the snow melts".

and :welcome:

post up a pic or 2 of the new bike when ya can

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your new ride! First bike?

Remember when you do get out for those first rides in cold weather take it easy. The cold tires do not grip as well and there may be left over sand and other debris on the road which are not a good thing for two wheels.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
You can ride in your current weather, it's not the most fun but if you want to ride. Just get some good gear and gloves and a pair of elephant ears. Avoid the icy days if you can.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-78137-QuadGear-Black/dp/B001NOJ6IY/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2]Classic Accessories 78137 QuadGear Black ATV Mitts, Fits most ATVs : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies from coast to coast. I can imagine some of you can ride year round do to your climate , or have shorter winters. Up her in Edmonton they can be pretty cold and drawn out. I am anticipating hitting the road end of April , and not doing any mountain travel until June. In that time I need to get my new back tire and doing a rider training course end of april/early may.

JKJ-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: When Does Riding Season Start?...Today!

Rode up to the office today, though not on the FZ6.
Medicine Lake, Minnesota

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies from coast to coast. I can imagine some of you can ride year round do to your climate , or have shorter winters. Up her in Edmonton they can be pretty cold and drawn out. I am anticipating hitting the road end of April , and not doing any mountain travel until June. In that time I need to get my new back tire and doing a rider training course end of april/early may.

I went for a ride today in AZ, saw some snow/hail in some 35 +/- weather. The road only had some moisture in a couple spots, so the concern for black ice (and cleaning later) was minimal.

Once you get more confident in your riding skills you could even build up to VegasRider type skill where he rides his FZ6 home from work in near blizzard conditions (at least to me that's what I would call it). Check out his thread winter riding techniques.