Where is the signal for the speed sensor coming from?

michalc

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to make my own gear indicator for my FZ6 2007 and I'm curious about where is the speed sensor signal coming from. Based on the values I measured, it looks like one driver sprocket revolution makes ~25 speed sensor pulses, so I guess it measures 5th gear wheel (25 Teeth) or 6th gear (26T).

Attachments

• original-parts.pdf
    355.9 KB · Views: 20

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're measuring pulses at the ECU? Black with blue tracer, white with yellow tracer, and blue wires.

#12 on the parts fiche.

michalc

Reaction score
Visit site

Attachments

• ECU_Connector-2007 copy.gif
    ECU_Connector-2007 copy.gif
    60.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5011 resized.jpeg
    IMG_5011 resized.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

michalc

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done some research (check the image), but I'm still not sure, what sprocket the speed sensor scans. I've also found this video:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 22.22.55 copy.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 22.22.55 copy.png
    991.6 KB · Views: 21

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you look at the link in my #2 post? The speed sensor is located in the general proximity to that area of the bike depicted, which could also be on the other side of the bike. I'm hoping that might help in discovering what that sensor is reading.

michalc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I saw it, thank you for the link. I'm attaching images from my previous post, because they are there in a bad resolution. I think the location is clear from these images, but still I'm lost.

Attachments

• crankcase.JPG
    crankcase.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
  • s-l1600-11.jpg
    s-l1600-11.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 25

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems a bit illogical to take the speed from anywhere except one of the wheels, what happens if you do some radical regearing with the chain and sprockets? The speed sensor inside the engine isn't going to know that.

michalc

Reaction score
Visit site
If you change the driven or driver sprockets' number of teeth, obviously the speed sensor will measure badly, but in this case I believe even the original FZ6 display will display wrong speed.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems a bit illogical to take the speed from anywhere except one of the wheels, what happens if you do some radical regearing with the chain and sprockets? The speed sensor inside the engine isn't going to know that.
That's the way it was done in the past. Usually from the front wheel. Then a speedo cable went right to the speed readout. Same with the RPM. Used to come off a gear on the cam.
The speed now is off output of the transmission then to the ECU where it is calculated, sent down a data line to a CPU in the instrument cluster and then the readout.
This does mean that re-sprocketing will change speed indication which is not accurate on Japanese bikes to begin with. No reason for the speed indicated on a stock bike to be inaccurate to begin with.
My thought is that whatever gear the sensor (hall effect?) is reading, is going to be a gear or rotation that is a constant with the output shaft.
So to make a gear sensor we should be able to calculate output shaft rotation to rpm at the crankshaft position sensor.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a look at that site but what's not clear to me is if the Speedohealer is attached for calibration then removed, or becomes a permanent fitment on the bike.

It's plug and play. You can simply un-plug and put it on another bike(with the same harness)

For mine, I used my GPS to find the true speed, then adjusted the healer to adjust for reading low.
My speedometer is NOW within .1 MPH (dead nuts on) .

Another feature it has, it will /can record your top speed and save it. Just push the button to erase it.
This, ^^, is simply a plug with button you don't even have to plug into the unit.. If say, it's your kids bike and you want to know his "riding habits" you can.

They may have updated it, mines at least 10 years old, never an issue.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's plug and play. You can simply un-plug and put it on another bike(with the same harness)

For mine, I used my GPS to find the true speed, then adjusted the healer to adjust for reading low.
My speedometer is NOW within .1 MPH (dead nuts on) .

Another feature it has, it will /can record your top speed and save it. Just push the button to erase it.
This, ^^, is simply a plug with button you don't even have to plug into the unit.. If say, it's your kids bike and you want to know his "riding habits" you can.

They may have updated it, mines at least 10 years old, never an issue.

Thanks but it isn't clear if it needs to stay on the bike, what I am asking is if it is possible to borrow one to calibrate then disconnect it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks but it isn't clear if it needs to stay on the bike, what I am asking is if it is possible to borrow one to calibrate then disconnect it.

You cannot change what the stock speedometer reads, (W/O some sort of add on "adjuster") period...

The SH takes the signal, you adjust it for higher/lower to your bikes need. It stays on the bike if you want it to adjust the signal..

Just curious as to why you wouldn't leave it on??

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You cannot change what the stock speedometer reads, (W/O some sort of add on "adjuster") period...

The SH takes the signal, you adjust it for higher/lower to your bikes need. It stays on the bike if you want it to adjust the signal..

Just curious as to why you wouldn't leave it on??

I thought I could get away with not buying one if I could borrow one from a friend. Scottish blood! :oops: