Whoa bad gas mileage..

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to find the cause of this problem for a while. I'm getting around 25-30mpg no matter my riding style. I've changed out my spark plugs, oil, checked chain slack, tire pressure, throttle play, idle is at 1100, and I always wait for proper operational temp before heading out.
I checked my TPS its at Closed:16, Open:101

What really got me concerned is I've been riding with a pillion lately so my riding has been extremely cautions shifts between 4k-6k smooth acceleration and easy braking. I ended up getting 23.4mpg after this.

I did adjust my CO values at one point due to my two bro's exhaust popping a lot bumped them up 20points. But I was getting bad mileage before this, it only got slightly worse.

2007 fz6 s2

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Does your mileage go up without the passenger? beyond that I would look at some other things. Off the top of my head:

Air filter
tire pressure
Chain Slack??
Brakes dragging
Sync the throttle bodies
Wheels aligned correctly.
Running extra equipment (heated grips, GPS etc.)

Some of those may not be extremely likely but I'm just getting some ideas out there for discussion.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the poster above, check the obvious:

1. Tire Pressure
2. Air Filter (is it clean)

And check your Math!

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Air filter: Clean, Tire pressure: Checked, Chain Slack: perfect, Wheels Aligned: Check, no extra equipment. Brakes dragging hmmm.. possible my front brake is getting a lil squeaky. My rear brake isn't dragging know for a fact. Syncing throttle bodies any idea how much that'll run me?

Also the bike has about 9000miles on it.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Also the older models 04-05 I believe had a bad TPS sensor that would sometimes also affect mileage I know yours is a new bike but might be worth having that checked. Even though it passed the TPS testing it might still be bad I had to have mine replace on my 04 multiple times and it was gettign awful mileage as well 25-28mpg.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a thread on here a while back describing how to do it. It seems relatively simple. You do have to by a special tool. I'm not sure how much a dealer would charge for it. Start with a search function on the forum for the throttle body snyc thread. I'm not sure if that would hurt mileage but at 9000 miles it can't hurt to do anyway. Beyond that, like Vegas said, Check your math :D. Who knows maybe your odo. is way off or something. Check that next time you're on the interstate.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's what they call volatile memory on most all ECU's It's a part of your ECU that uses input from all the sensors and develops a map that it uses based on what it learns. Disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes. Re-attach and let the ECU relearn. This might resolve the issue.

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks motogiro I'm going to try that today along with seeing about syncing my throttle bodies. I've checked my odo against a trip I take often to visit my brother I fill up at the gas station before the interstate and reset the trip meter and it always reads the same, double checked it against google maps and a gps. I've checked my math so many times hoping I did it wrong =( Hopefully a battery reset does the trick... fingers crossed

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When my TPS died, the values were still showing good, but my mileage dropped badly. I actually ran out of fuel once because I didn't believe I was empty at 100 miles. It started dieing all the time not too long after until I had the recall done.

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
So it'll take a few days before I can tell if the battery reset worked. I will say one thing I noticed today after doing the reset. My throttle response was amazingly better. I checked some stores for a sync kit none had them I'm thinking I'll have to order one.

Question: Can the TPS be cleaned?

Speaking of gas leak when I had my tank up today I noticed some fuel dripping out of the gas tank's fuel breather hose. Never did that before, I'll triple check tomorrow if its dripping. If anything my fuel bar most of the time it goes up one bar once I get home and stop since I live right off the highway(Only happens when I just use one bar and starting on the next) And it remains the same for a couple of days.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me you guys are great =) safe riding

shreveport: haha I weigh 180 last I checked could be the pink elephants always climbing on board though

Last edited:

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
So after a battery reset I managed to pull 119 miles, filled her up with 3.5 gallons got 34mpg(sprinted riding mix of highway and town). I also did a throttle body sync halfway through so we shall see how the next filled tank goes on mpg. I did notice however my exhaust is popping a lot when I roll off the throttle at low gears not sure if its anything to worry about..

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, I think I may be plauged by this problem now too! After I installed my Remus exhaust I was nearly out of gas after 150 mi most of which was freeway.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
How much are you guys who think they are getting 40/50mpg getting per tank?

When I brim the fuel tank I think i'm only getting around 130miles

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
How much are you guys who think they are getting 40/50mpg getting per tank?

When I brim the fuel tank I think i'm only getting around 130miles

With spirited riding it seems that I usually get in the mid 40's. That said, on one longer trip on a very boring 50mph road I got 63mpg.