Why didn’t new relay fix hyper flash? (2004 Fz6)

mb27

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone help?

Fitted front led flashers with resistors - work fine.

Bought rear led flashers but not fitted.

Figured a new relay would be easier than siting resistors at the rear end.

Tried new relay before fitting rear led flashers but getting hyper
Flash (even with front resistors removed).

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated. Is there something I have missed? Is there a way of ‘resetting the syetem’?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the flasher relay you replaced an electronic flasher relay?
Electronic flasher relays have a fixed flash rate regardless of load, if the load is within the specification of the electronic relay.

Many standard flasher relays use a bi-metal element that flexes as the temperature if the bi-metal rises when the load current passes through the bi-metal. This is why different current loads can change the flash rate. The bi-metal controls the physical make and break of the circuit.

The electronic flasher used a fixed rate through an electronic circuit that controls the relay rate of make and break. This means that the variable load will not effect the flash rate. Current rating of the flasher relay is limited only by the amount of current the device can handle.

In your case it sounds like you have a non electronic flasher relay if the flash rate has not changed.

mb27

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure that’s identical to what I have. One thing I’ve just notice is that when I remove the flasher fuse, the flashers don’t stop. They do stop when I remove the tail light fuse though!

Wondering if someone has tinkered with it at some point!

But would that affect the relay thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure that’s identical to what I have. One thing I’ve just notice is that when I remove the flasher fuse, the flashers don’t stop. They do stop when I remove the tail light fuse though!

Wondering if someone has tinkered with it at some point!

But would that affect the relay thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flasher circuit is on the running light circuit so the running light filament will not light and flashers will not light if that fuse is blown/removed.

I'm wondering if you have a fuse marked "Flasher" and if it might be for flashing your high beam. I know Euro bikes seem to have a high beam flasher switch that you don't see on all US bikes. My Suzuki has the Euro type high beam flasher and I really like it. Does your bike use a high beam flasher?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thought would be to use a 12 volt test light at your flasher relay output to confirm that it's flash rate agrees with what you're seeing on your LED indicators.
Also recheck your connections to be sure you don't have a dead short across the leads.

Last edited:

mb27

Reaction score
Visit site
So weird - LED indicators all wired up with new flasher relay and resistors all round.

-Flash normally with ignition on.
-Hyperflash when I start the engine
-Flash normally when engine has warmed up.

What the ????

Read some Oxford blurb that said if the supplied18 watt resistors don't work then try some 8 watt ones - ordered a set on ebay.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So weird - LED indicators all wired up with new flasher relay and resistors all round.

-Flash normally with ignition on.
-Hyperflash when I start the engine
-Flash normally when engine has warmed up.

What the ????

Read some Oxford blurb that said if the supplied18 watt resistors don't work then try some 8 watt ones - ordered a set on ebay.

If you are using the flasher from Superbright LEDs, then you don't use series resistance.

It sounds like you have a faulty electronic flasher or a voltage regulator problem.
Make sure your battery connections are clean and snug. Then test to see if your voltages are normal. Static voltage (key off) at the battery should be around 12.6 to 12.8 vdc. When you start the engine you should see a rise in voltage. That voltage should not be above 14.7 If voltages look normal your new flasher may be defective.

On the series resistance... Series resistors (inline) are used for voltage drop and are not used for load match as would parallel resistors (across the line).If the series resistors are supplied for series application, Do not remove series resistors. They're there to match voltage and if removed will damage/destroy the LED unit. I've seen the series resistors on IIRK Rizoma directionals. Most LED directional stalks are voltage matched internally. Most resistor setups are across the wiring (parallel) to create load or current matching. If someone installed resistors in series and they were for load matching, then you can remove them.

Last edited: