Why!?

Newbiedude

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello y’all. I got to work today and noticed my front tire is showing metal. But not in the usual manner. The picture is attached. Every day I take my lunch sitting in front of it and never noticed this before. Can anyone help me figure out why this happened so it doesn’t happen to my next set.

Attachments

• EE515F06-4AAC-44EF-88CA-F3B940D09D8A.jpeg
    EE515F06-4AAC-44EF-88CA-F3B940D09D8A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle tires are not the same as car tires just by the mechanics of riding on two wheels Stop right there! Get the bike safely to a shop and don't let CHP see this....

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps the steel cords showing act like "studded" snow tires?

Left turns are obviously made more often.. Do more "right on red" turns to even out the wear...

Make more right hand turns (to even the wear)...

Brake harder on the front while leaning into right hander turns..

You could do more wheelies to keep the front tire off the ground (less wear).

Newbiedude

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this a joke - a troll post?

Those are the steel belts imbedded in the carcass. That tire should not be ridden at all. You are risking serious injury by riding with a front tire in that condition.
I have just never seen a tire wear like that. I was expecting someone to say my fork is crooked or something.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just never seen a tire wear like that. I was expecting someone to say my fork is crooked or something.
If your frame or rear wheel were way out that could happen. If that front tire hits that metal in a turn the front could wash out on you very quickly. I heard a lot of stories where the riders asked what happened. a front tire wash is almost impossible to recover from unless you have lots of skill and room. chances are the rear will need replacement. Have the geometry checked out.

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple theories I’ve read about more wear on the left side of the tire:
1. Roads are usually “crowned” in the middle, so that water runs off to the sides. If you’re in a country that drives on the right side of the road, when you’re riding straight, you’re actually riding more on the left side of the tire.
2. In a country where you drive on the right side of the road, left turns are longer than right turns (far lane to far lane, opposed to near lane to near lane), so you’ll have more wear on the left side.
If you Google search “motorcycle tire wear left side” this is actually pretty common. But that tire should’ve been replaced a while ago.