Winter Riding Season # 2

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I have ridden in much worse condition with my FZ6, my Enduro equipped with studded tires is made for this type of weather. I saw two fender benders involving several vehicles. One of the disadvantages if you are driving, I imagine it's going to be pretty difficult to get out of the way if somebody cannot stop or slides out of control. As long as kept my safety margin, with cooperation from the drivers who are behind me who kept their distance from me, I felt safe.

G0060233_zps04c795be.jpg

G0060235_zps16b268b6.jpg

G0070248_zpsbe6511ae.jpg

G0080261_zps5b19d16b.jpg

G0080263_zpsc9f72c7c.jpg

Saw a guy riding a quad towing three kids sitting in those saucers, looks like everyone was having a fun time, including me watching.
74f32485-d35b-4fc5-87cb-3e94514da14d_zps41fae694.jpg

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit that as a Cali girl I don't even like to be in a car driving in the snow. :shakehead: Even a light dusting. Stay safe brother!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It was minus 5 degrees at 10 this morning. I didn't have a reason to go out and so far I've managed to stay home. But I'm getting pretty hungry now and anacks are just not cutting it. Probably going to have to take my enduro to work tomorrow morning since the roads are still covered with snow and ice. PRoblem is that this bike is not equipped for heated gear.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Although I have ridden in much worse condition with my FZ6, my Enduro equipped with studded tires is made for this type of weather. I saw two fender benders involving several vehicles. One of the disadvantages if you are driving, I imagine it's going to be pretty difficult to get out of the way if somebody cannot stop or slides out of control. As long as kept my safety margin, with cooperation from the drivers who are behind me who kept their distance from me, I felt safe.

You're crazy..

Are you using special tires? I'll need to try that out here! :cheer:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unusually colder here in San Diego these past few days. About 10 deg F below our average..
Kenny, I can't imagine you riding that thing especially with no heated gear!:eek:

Hmmm! Wonder if you couldn't rig a battery that you charge over night for your commute to and from work?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually have an extra controller for heated gear, I could hook it up to my battery. If I did, I would use it for the gloves. I wore my heated gloves this morning, without the heat and my fingers were freaking freezing. My left hand was not an issue, I can ride with my left hand near the engine, but my throttle hand was killing me. Figures that the day I was praying for red lights so I could place my right hand underneath the bike for while, today was the day I had all green.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
For some reason, I was hoping winter tires :(

Recently there was an article on a Dutch website about these winter tyres saying they are pretty good :thumbup:

BTW it is now law in Germany (where they make these) that you have to use winter tyres when appropriate.

:hijack::scared:

I actually have an extra controller for heated gear, I could hook it up to my battery. If I did, I would use it for the gloves. I wore my heated gloves this morning, without the heat and my fingers were freaking freezing. My left hand was not an issue, I can ride with my left hand near the engine, but my throttle hand was killing me. Figures that the day I was praying for red lights so I could place my right hand underneath the bike for while, today was the day I had all green.
I'm well impressed, any kind of frost and I just switch on my heated grips, I guess I'm just a whimp.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are the looks on people's faces when they see you riding in the snow? Or is it fairly normal there?

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm well impressed, any kind of frost and I just switch on my heated grips, I guess I'm just a whimp.

When I'm uncomfortable riding because of cold I don't feel safe. My hands go numb pretty fast. So I don't do it if I can avoid it. Lucky for me I live in a place where I don't have to go too long without a warm day to get my fix!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Way back, when a youngster, I'd be out riding in 2-3 ft of snow on my old , air cooled, Yamaha 125cc two stroke AT1 (early 70's) in the school yard of LI, NY.

The snowed caked up up so deep around the cylinder/ engine, you couldn't hear the engine run, you'd feel the vibrations thru the seat and bars! It was up to the bottom of the gas tank!! Knobbies only...

Of course there's no cars there to hit and wasn't nealry as cold as you have up there. Heated gear didn't exist back then..

Yep, I'd be hooking up a plug on the bike ASAP to plug your gear in...

My old KLR 250 (2005, kick start, smaller battery as there's no electric starter) would handle my Widder vest and gloves at least wile underway. Made riding much, more comfortable.. Keep you a bit sharper too from cages

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Although I have ridden in much worse condition with my FZ6...

I have to call BS on that. You would be upside down in a mile.

I've had 4 -20F nights in the last 7 days, won't see any pavement on my street for a long long time. Jealous for those who can still ride. It's warming up and still -14 right now.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
what is this snow? can that happen here??? :eek:

lol jk I ride right down to that magic 32degree mark, then its just not safe for me...

Stay warm!