Winterization

daveem

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I am in the process of putting my bike away. This is my first bike (08 fz6). I am storing it in my garage which isnt heated or insulated. Just wondering what most of you do with your battery in Canada. I was going to pull it out and bring it inside but it looks like a bit of work to get at.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would pull the battery. I've done this the past two years and every spring the battery's fresh and has worked flawlessly.

Our winters last long enough that we don't ride between 5 to 6 months. During this time, if the battery is left in the bike, it will drain off due to its internal resistance as well as a small amount of current from the ECU. Over time, if not tendered and the voltage kept up, it could freeze in sub-zero temperatures and risk being destroyed. That will cost you over $100 to replace. In my books that's worth pulling.

1. Place bike on centerstand.
2. Remove the seat.
3. Remove both small inner fairing black panels via two bolts with 4mm hex socket on each side of fairing.
4. Remove two front tank bolts with 5mm hex socket
5. Lift tank and prop up with proper support (stick or something)
6. Unplug main fuse connector on top of battery cover
7. Remove battery post bolts, negative first, then positive
8. Remove top battery cover via two bolts on side closest to the front. The rear set hold the battery box to the frame.
9. Lift off battery cover to the right side.
10. Lift battery out.

Re-assemble minus battery in reverse order. Bring battery inside and tender battery with a smart charger once a couple of weeks for a few days. That's what I do.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
This will be my first winter with the FZ. With my other bikes, I've simply filled the tank, poured the appropriate amount of Stabil and put the cover on. I then start it once per week and let it run. I find that starting and listening to it gives me that little fix during the winter months. I'm no mechanic, so if someone tells you that I'm a moron for leaving the battery in and un-tendered..... listen to them.

zuull

Reaction score
Visit site
I attached a plug to the battery(barely visable) which comes
out the left side and attach a battery tender.
It basically trickle charges the battery all winter.
Picked up a battery tender junior from cheap bastards
for about $30.And of course I put sta-bil in the gas.
:canada:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do more than just the battery.., but that's all the OP was asking.

I actually begin the ritual by giving the fiz a good washing. I add fuel stabilizer, ride to the gas station to top up which also dries the bike and mixes the stabilizer, heats up the chain and engine oil. When I get back home, I centerstand and lube the chain. A quick chamois to catch the water spots then wax the bike. Bike is cooling down at this time, I side stand it, drain the oil, replace oil filter, add fresh oil, quick startup to circulate, shut it down, check the tire pressure, let cool while pulling the battery, move it to it's winter spot, and cover till spring. But..., that's just me.

grouzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Wash/wax, clean/lube chain, Stabil or Seafoam added to a full tank of gas (run thru for a few min's), top psi in tires, center stand, cover (mines in a heated garage all winter), lube pivot points, check fasteners, change oil/filter if due, plug Batt Tender Jr (in my case) into existing leads. Much easier to install the leads once than pulling the battery/lifting tank every year. Tender stays on float mode 24/7. Don't start during winter if your not riding. See you in the Spring (unless you occasionally sit on and make Vroom Vroom sounds).

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a battery tender to keep the battery good for extended down times. If you are going to take the battery out, the eaiest way to pull it would be take the tank hinge bolt out, remove the upper two bolts, then simply slide the tank back a few inches then lift the tank up and forward and realine the tank hinge bolt. Slip the bolt back in place and lift the tank up, but not too far as to diconnect any wiring or hoses. This method eliminates having to remove your side panels inside your faring and saves alot of time and cuss words.

Doc

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're not going to run an engine at all during a Canadian winter
I'd recommend fogging with engine storage spray, we can have large
temp swings that can cause condensation and then freeze-up, bad
deal, I remove the air filter element and spray into the throttle bodies
until the engine is smoking like a bitch then shut it off, leaves a nice
film on everything, boat guys will know what I'm talking about

daveem

Reaction score
Visit site
I would pull the battery. I've done this the past two years and every spring the battery's fresh and has worked flawlessly.

Our winters last long enough that we don't ride between 5 to 6 months. During this time, if the battery is left in the bike, it will drain off due to its internal resistance as well as a small amount of current from the ECU. Over time, if not tendered and the voltage kept up, it could freeze in sub-zero temperatures and risk being destroyed. That will cost you over $100 to replace. In my books that's worth pulling.

1. Place bike on centerstand.
2. Remove the seat.
3. Remove both small inner fairing black panels via two bolts with 4mm hex socket on each side of fairing.
4. Remove two front tank bolts with 5mm hex socket
5. Lift tank and prop up with proper support (stick or something)
6. Unplug main fuse connector on top of battery cover
7. Remove battery post bolts, negative first, then positive
8. Remove top battery cover via two bolts on side closest to the front. The rear set hold the battery box to the frame.
9. Lift off battery cover to the right side.
10. Lift battery out.

Re-assemble minus battery in reverse order. Bring battery inside and tender battery with a smart charger once a couple of weeks for a few days. That's what I do.
Thanks, im not much of a mechanic so this helps a lot.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Im storing in my new condo buildings parkade in front of my car. It is around 18* at all times.
Should I really worry about being super anal over it like some people if it will never drop below freezing?

I intended on just putting in some gas line stabilizer, covering it and every 2 months start it up and ride around in the huge parkade until its to temperature for a few minutes. Then in spring do my chain and oil...

anyone see a problem there?

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Wash bike. Check.
Fill up tank. Check.
Add fuel stabilizer. Check.
Put on center stand. Check.
Put piece of plywood under front tire. Check
Hook up battery tender. Check.
Cover. Check.
Take a quick peek under cover. Frown.