Wow after 2 years I'm a total newb.

corvius

Reaction score
Visit site
A little intro and then onto the story: I started 2 years ago on a ninja 250 after taking the MSF course. I always have and still do wear ATGATT. About 5 months ago I sold the Ninja and bought a Ninja 500. Got bored with the power and very recently became the owner of an '07 FZ6. I wanted a sport-y-ish bike with fairing, FI, and an upright position so I could commute.

I went out tonight to work on some skills, cornering and clutchless upshifts and braking. The whole ride I felt like the bike was bouncing around and I was the worst rider in history. I have watched tons of youtube videos and read rideapart articles all the time...and so I have a basic understanding of what I should be doing. I'm not usually the slow poke when I ride in a group and I thought at least some of my technique was passable. But tonight......my god..I just felt like the bike and I were boyfriend/girlfriend and we were in the middle of a bad argument. She was bouncing in turns and I was really jerky getting it to lean over... I felt like the cheek off/kissing the inside mirror was not a natural position on this bike.

I did manage to scrape the pegs for the first time on this bike, and it scared me when it happened, but I still have no clue how you could lean a bike far enough to get your knee down...I look down and my knee seems miles away from the road even in the hardest turns I can make. (and yes, I know getting your knee down is not the epitome of good form, but for me it's not even an option).

It got me thinking that getting this bike was not the right decision - that I should have stuck with the ninja 250 until I was proficient at trail braking and cornering (at least). I guess I'm looking for reassurance that this bike isn't going to drop me on my ass. Or maybe someone might tell me to get a smaller bike and "start over" and do some track days and get some coaching.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
Starting out on any 250 is a good idea for people that aren't accustom to riding motorcycles. I have ridden the Ninja 250 and it's a good solid beginners bike. I've never ridden the Ninja 500, but I've seen them around and seem like it would just be a bigger version of the 250.

My FZ is my third bike, but I also downgraded to from a 1,000cc bike. Honestly I think the FZ would also be a good beginners bike. With that said I have a couple questions...

Questions about your corners:
-Sweeping or short or in-between?
-What is a flat corner or banking/sloped?
-What was your speed / RPM's / gear?
-Were you centered on the bike with your butt and body or was your butt slightly hanging off?

All these questions play a major role in how to "attack" a corner. Unfortunately all corners are not created equal and nor do they get "attacked" the same way. When you are cornering your RPM's and throttle control will play a big role in how jumpy the suspension reacts which is what can cause jerking and bounciness. I am not a pro by any means and definitely not awesome in corners, but with that said I have learned over the years that every bike handles different and every corner is different.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to learn how to ride at a higher level you are ready for a track day school. Learn how to ride smooth at a spirited pace in a safe place (the street is no place to drag a knee) and you will be amazed what you can do. Now is a good time for you to step up your skill before you pick up to many bad habits.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I take it you just bought the FZ6 and have very little miles under your belt?

Bike's quirky bud. Be quick but smooth with your shifting (both clutching and throttle) and try to make sure you're at least around 6K RPM for the initial gears. Preload the shift lever even during regular shifts, and if you're going to clutchless - wind it out a bit more.

corvius

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think I need to just man up and fork over the cash for a track day and maybe some coaching. Fortunately there's a good track about 2 hours from me. At least I'm not hearing that I need to down-grade my bike :thumbup: I try to be as smooth as possible with everything but I think (based on Zealot's response) maybe I'm shifting too early (usually around 4-5k). It was also dusk when I went out and it's hot, so maybe that was distracting me. I run into the most trouble in fast, sharp corners; the sweepers I think I'm steady and feel OK in. Put me in second gear around 20-30mph and a really tight turn and I'm garbage. I feel better going 60 through a 35mph turn.

As soon as the weather here breaks (high 80's with humidity) I'll be venturing out more.

Thanks again

edit: Zealot, I probably have about 4000 miles under my belt and 1000 off-road miles. So yes, still very new to the sport.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Old tires or lack of air pressure could cause you some trouble. Make sure those are both up to par! Countersteering and using your opposite foot (Turning right would have you pushing the right side of the handle bar, and anchoring with your left) as an anchor will do wonders. Anchor just means you push some weight down onto the peg in order to help make your push on the bars more firm and steady. Lube up all your cables and chain, and practice modulating your inputs.

You want some good tips on riding? Check out Twist of the Wrist I + II (books, can be found with a quick google search in pdf), the TOTW II abridged video on YouTube, and also another one I like called Full Control by Rideitright (also an easily found pdf).

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
And also, sometimes you just have a bad day. Don't beat yourself up about it, just get out and ride.

And as for dragging a knee, you're way off the bike at that point. I wouldn't recommend going there with this bike on the street without a lot more hours, perfect roads, and purpose gear.

Just ride. It will work itself out.

And ... relax.

Last edited:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm fairly new to it all too, so the only thing I would say is that shifting at 4-5k is waaay to early for spirited riding - you need more revs (I like 6-8k going in to a corner) to give you more torque to balance the bike on the throttle through/out of the corner. As for joggling around - I've found factory tyre pressures aren't entirely right for all tyres in all conditions.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Put me in second gear around 20-30mph and a really tight turn and I'm garbage. I feel better going 60 through a 35mph turn

Sounds like you're turning in too slowly. Each turn requires a certain average amount of lean to complete it. If you don't turn in hard enough at first, you have to make up for it with additional lean later in the corner to make your average. Pushing hard on the inside bar to start the turn allows you to not have to lean the bike over as far to complete it. Additionally, with less speed comes less stability. Less stability leads to less confidence, and less confidence leads to more mistakes and slower speeds. Sort of a snowball effect.

+1 to TOTW. A couple days at California Superbike School also pours on skill like crazy. Spots fill up fast, but there might be an opening @ NJMP next week if you call.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds to me like you're having a bit of a problem adjusting to a high revving I4 and the FZ's somewhat abrupt throttle response. don't worry, it''ll catch on :)

bike still might not be for you, though. you may want a twin or something with more torque

when do i shift? first gear to second around 27-35mph under normal riding conditions. from 2nd to 3rd gear. somewhere between 30-90mph :D.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1440081383484.jpg

Yes it's the right bike :D
I can do everything on my FZ, I mean everything except jumping like a dirtbike. I'd recommend taking advanced riding class.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
But totally agreed that it's jerky (from 1st- 3rd gear), most Yamahas are, have to reflash the ECU. You'll get used to it though. I can live with it. My bike is completely stock.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it's the right bike :D
I can do everything on my FZ, I mean everything except jumping like a dirtbike. I'd recommend taking advanced riding class.

Nice pic. Are those stock rear sets? I'm not getting that far over and I often scrape the toe of my boot even with my foot set back on the peg. Your peg feelers aren't even touching.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pic. Are those stock rear sets? I'm not getting that far over and I often scrape the toe of my boot even with my foot set back on the peg. Your peg feelers aren't even touching.
Thanks. All stock. It's all about body position, and trusty tires.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't give up too soon; it took me at least 1000 km to get used to the bike. Even now after more than 33000 km I still have the odd bad day with notchy gearshifts and jerky throttle. Get it all right and it's a pleasure to ride. Hint: she likes to be ridden fairly aggressively and screams with joy when she has fun!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tough to give solid advice without actually watching and evaluating your ride. But in my opinion, you just need more saddle time on the bike. I'm not referring to a few hundred miles, but a few thousand to get use to your bike.

corvius

Reaction score
Visit site
I got oso2k rearsets installed today (I'm 5'10") and I'm hoping that helps a tiny bit. I actually think it might be the upright riding position, so I might also try fz1 bars (need to research that though).

I do a very small niche sport within snowboarding and everyone is always asking for help, so I know how hard it is to give advice without pics or videos :) I took her out again yesterday when the temps were more reasonable (mid 70's) and I actually felt a lot better. Honestly I still have fear going into tight corners, and I'm thinking it's because I don't trust the tires. So what I've been doing to help build up my confidence is taking one turn near my house progressively faster and faster, and just trying to stay smooth and really focus on my body position.

I don't think there's a quick fix, I need to just slowly chip away at my fear of lowsiding (and it's not a fear of getting hurt, it's a fear of hurting my baby $$$ haha).

edit: tires are pilot 2's ( i think...) and look to be in very good shape.