WTB - Hardtail MTB

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally looking to replace my mountain bike that was stolen years ago.

Requirements:
Mid-level components (derailleurs, forks, crank)
Mid-sized frame
Probably 26'' wheels (I prefer flickable things to rolling over everything, so the 29er craze hasn't caught me yet).
Disc brakes

Let me know if you're looking to sell something or come across something and we'll talk!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally looking to replace my mountain bike that was stolen years ago.

Requirements:
Mid-level components (derailleurs, forks, crank)
Mid-sized frame
Probably 26'' wheels (I prefer flickable things to rolling over everything, so the 29er craze hasn't caught me yet).
Disc brakes

Let me know if you're looking to sell something or come across something and we'll talk!

Lots of deals to be had right now, though 26ers are getting harder to find (all 29 or 27.5 now). Give me an idea of your top price and I'll point you to a few options.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of deals to be had right now, though 26ers are getting harder to find (all 29 or 27.5 now). Give me an idea of your top price and I'll point you to a few options.

800 is probably my upper threshold. Used bikes are fine by me. As far as new bikes go (for comparison), I'd been looking at the Trek 3700 series, Scott Aspect 640 or 650, I haven't had much time to look beyond those two brands, but I was going to look at what Jamis, Cannondale and Rocky Mountain as well - probably avoiding Specialized just based on bad things I've heard recently about them.

I suppose that a good deal on a 650b or 29" would be okay, though I'll have a better idea after next weekend (huge demo day/ opening up a closed trail for one day out of the year happens 25 minutes from my house). I'm worried they'll feel sluggish in the corners.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
800 is probably my upper threshold. Used bikes are fine by me. As far as new bikes go (for comparison), I'd been looking at the Trek 3700 series, Scott Aspect 640 or 650, I haven't had much time to look beyond those two brands, but I was going to look at what Jamis, Cannondale and Rocky Mountain as well - probably avoiding Specialized just based on bad things I've heard recently about them.

I suppose that a good deal on a 650b or 29" would be okay, though I'll have a better idea after next weekend (huge demo day/ opening up a closed trail for one day out of the year happens 25 minutes from my house). I'm worried they'll feel sluggish in the corners.

Gotcha. I tried 29er and hated it. Exactly as you said.. lethargic in corners. Sure it rolls great over rocks, but all the fun is gone, in my opinion. I really want to try 27.5 to see if it provides the rolling benefits without sacrificing maneuverability.

Pricepoint has pretty good deals on few right now:
2012 Fuji Tahoe 3.0 | MTB | Hardtail | 26 inch | XC
Diamondback Axis Sport 27.5 inch Bike Gray/Blue 2014 | Diamondback
Diamondback Axis Comp 27.5 inch Bike Gray/Black 2014 | Diamondback

I wouldn't get too hung up on brands, especially since you're looking for HT. Components and suspension make the bike.. not the decals (so many are made in same factories).

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
I starting MTB'ing early 90's on a 26er steel frame, rim brakes and NO suspension...

with that said, I say ride BIG wheels (Bike 29) :thumbup:
I've been riding 29er for a number of years and totally love it.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Disc brakes

Go big or go home, bud!
29" Its all about Circumference, at least thats what she said!! Blah

My biggest regret in life was selling my Gary Fisher Paragon 29er and buying a Specialized FSR full squish bike. The full squish has its merits on a 6 hour ride, but the 29er hard-tail tackled ground and rolled over anything! I raced a 29er for about 3 years (WORS series in WI) and loved it!

-Paragon (now you know where the name came from!!) :rockon:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Go big or go home, bud!
29" Its all about Circumference, at least thats what she said!! Blah

My biggest regret in life was selling my Gary Fisher Paragon 29er and buying a Specialized FSR full squish bike. The full squish has its merits on a 6 hour ride, but the 29er hard-tail tackled ground and rolled over anything! I raced a 29er for about 3 years (WORS series in WI) and loved it!

-Paragon (now you know where the name came from!!) :rockon:

So I'm definitely warming to the idea of a 27.5 or a 29, I'll have a better idea after riding them next weekend. I'm still in my 20's, so full suspension isn't something that I think I need yet, (added weight/inefficiency/expense for something my quads can still handle).

Does the 29 feel sluggish in the corners? How big are you, being 5'10'' and 175lbs I'm on the small end of a 29 I'd think.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm definitely warming to the idea of a 27.5 or a 29, I'll have a better idea after riding them next weekend. I'm still in my 20's, so full suspension isn't something that I think I need yet, (added weight/inefficiency/expense for something my quads can still handle).

Does the 29 feel sluggish in the corners? How big are you, being 5'10'' and 175lbs I'm on the small end of a 29 I'd think.

I'm 5'9" on a good day, 180ish lbs depending on the month of the year, lol. It will be a little different than a 26er but once you get used to the size and geometry of things its so much better of a bike. I would squeeze it through the tightest of hairpins on the skills course just as well as any of my 26" bikes.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I favored running a tire with less tread on it. Think kenda small-block 8's, Bontrager XR1's. Go fatter in front 2.25" with a 2.0 or even 1.9" in the rear. Handled great in most conditions from loose sand to packed dirt & gravel.
The big foot print of the 29er really grips on to stuff, without needing knobs. The smoother tires really rolled well.
I did however prepare for mud with a set of XR mud tires if I had to race a muddy race.

Spring time I'd stick a set of 700X28c road tires on it, pump up & lock out the forks, and keep up with the road bikers with it..

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
650b is best of both worlds. One thing about the 650b though is that components specific to the 27.5 (fork, wheels, tires etc) are harder to find and often more expensive. Seems like the MTB community is really grabbing onto the 27.5 though so this problem will be gone soon. Not gonna go over the pros and cons of each wheel - you can find enough articles and threads on that. Read them and determine which characteristics better suit your style of riding and the types of trails you plan to ride. The most important factor is rider skill and technique anyways.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
650b is best of both worlds. One thing about the 650b though is that components specific to the 27.5 (fork, wheels, tires etc) are harder to find and often more expensive. Seems like the MTB community is really grabbing onto the 27.5 though so this problem will be gone soon. Not gonna go over the pros and cons of each wheel - you can find enough articles and threads on that. Read them and determine which characteristics better suit your style of riding and the types of trails you plan to ride. The most important factor is rider skill and technique anyways.

Thanks,

This is my terrain for a good 5-6 months of the year - Ray'sMTB - HOME

Be jealous, it's okay.

The rest of our trails here aren't that technical, so who knows really. We'll see what feels good though.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks,

This is my terrain for a good 5-6 months of the year - Ray'sMTB - HOME

Be jealous, it's okay.

The rest of our trails here aren't that technical, so who knows really. We'll see what feels good though.

Lol yeah the Milwaukee location is fairly close to me. I go every winter. And riding in the winter isn't bad so long as there isn't a ton of snow. Even a small amount of snow is easily rideable. If you're not riding very technical trails you'd be fine with the sluggish steering of a bigger wheel. But as you said ride what feels best.