Xenon HID upgrade?

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember seeing a thread on here (that Tapatalk isn't pulling up) about using an H7 and H4 Xenon upgrade kit for the FZ6. These were the "Angel Eyes" sets if I recall correctly.

I am wanting to upgrade my head lights but can't seem to find these kits anymore. They had the spherical lenses as well. All I'm finding are these kits that only have drop-in bulbs. Are these the same functionally?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-Bi-Xenon-Headlight-Conversion-10000k/dp/B006JEO1OC"]Amazon.com: 04-10 YAMAHA FZ6 High & Low Bi-Xenon HID Headlight Conversion Kit 10000k Light Blue: Automotive[/ame]

DUAL XENON HID LIGHT CONVERSION KIT | YAMAHA FZ6 04-09

Yamaha FZ6 Xenon Lights | Yamaha FZ6 HID Kits Yamaha FZ6 HIDs Headlights Bulbs

I don't mind the stock light pattern and using only one head light, but I do want better lighting.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link... The Retrofit Source | Innovative Headlight Upgrades :)

I think you're interested in the projector type. The require disassembly of your headlamp assembly and removal of the headlamp lens. The projectors are the very best headlamp mod for a few reasons. One is they are independent of the existing reflector design and each unit can also have a high and low beam because there is a shutter for light cut off.

Last edited:

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you. So with that you select the motorcycle stage ii dual and buy one set with h7 harness and one set with h4 harness?

Edit: derp, I guess it would make more sense to buy two of the singles, eh?

Last edited:

zpdrumer

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Hey there. A bit old I know. But as others said doing a full projector bixenon retrofit is the way to go. I had a dual beam light (like those in your first link) they spray light everywhere. It's a mess. It's a nice idea, but doesn't work well for incoming drivers (or even just the guy in front of you ). The nice thing about that Amazon kit is that thing in the upper right corner
7abd9cee743e2c6313a3b24b05c6cda2.jpg

It takes in an h4 plug and splits into two hid adapters with two high beam controls! That means if you did the dual headlight mod plug that in and you will be wired for both headlights high and low beam. Even without the dual mod it would be simple (with that adapter) to get dual high/low beams. Personally, for just ballasts hids and that awesome splitter cable I go to ddm
Don't be fooled by the price these guys are great and have excellent service. I've been using my ballasts for 3 years and put well over 60kmiles on my bike lights always on. Never had a problem
DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits
And the magic adapter
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/High-Low-Harness.High-Low-HID-Harness

The adapter may come with the kit when you select a hi/Lo setup. You should double check. But again. I highly recommend projectors and also going with a daylight color closer to 5k I've tried a few colors and the natural daylight just seems brighter. I read it's also because our mind recognized it as true daylight which our eyes work better in. Not that weird blue tint.

If you do get projectors I absolutely without any remorse do NOT recommend a company called umnitza. They are without a doubt one of the worst internet retailers I've ever worked with and their complete retrofit kits are not really complete. I remember asking if they had adapters to get some
Bixenons I ordered to work (there is a separate connector for high beams besides what comes from the ballasts) after much deliberation they basically sent me some bare wire and said just cut the connectors off your original lights and splice it in, I couldn't believe that. That's besides the fact they sent me the complete wrong order the first time and the second.... Horrible.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I ordered a single hid kit from ddm tuning. Just a low beam set up. With shipping it was $60, compared to $150 from trs. I'm a little concerned about the quality though.. I looked up the tracking info and it is shipping from China. Am I right to be worried?

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
The DDM Tuning kit just replaces the bulbs. You're still using the stock reflector instead of adding projectors. Not the 'right' way to do it, though many do.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
That is what I want to do for now. The stock low beam has a great pattern and I can't afford a projector setup and don't really want to crack my headlight assembly yet.

The trs conversion is also just a single bare bulb. Though I guess the $150 setup was for two, so it isn't too different. Either way, I'm concerned about the quality...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Best option is using two bi xenon h4 hids. If you do the bd43 mod first, they are both controlled by the right bulb (or left in the us).

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I ordered a single hid kit from ddm tuning. Just a low beam set up. With shipping it was $60, compared to $150 from trs. I'm a little concerned about the quality though.. I looked up the tracking info and it is shipping from China. Am I right to be worried?

Laurence - I have the TRS projectors and they are good quality but the high beam solenoids began to fail in just over 14 months. The customer service at TRS is stellar and they replaced them with the V6.0 units but needless to say I was dissapointed in having spent the extra $ and needing to do another retrofit. The DDM tuning projectors appear to be very decent quality. If I were to buy another set of projectors I will give the DDM Tuning ones a try. I think you did well with your choice. If needing some pointers before or during the retrofit on your bike please let me know, I will help you.
Peace, FB

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
no reason to spend a fortune on the HID kit, here are the ones I purchased, served me well more than a year without any issue

05 06 07 08 09 Yamaha FZ6 HID Xenon Slim Motorcycle Kit | eBay

One Pair 35W 55W Xenon HID Replacement Bulbs Lamp H1 H3 H7 H8 H9 H10 H11 9005 | eBay

And buy 2 x H7 pair, 2 x H4 pair for colors you like,,,guess what, $10/pair per color you like! free shipping..

I just wanted to share my exp when looking for HID...ain't affiliated to those sellers!

Best place to mount the ballast is the horizontal bar, open the fairing, there are 2 horizontal bar across from the odometer, use the clamp to secure them left and right :)

good luck!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Laurence made a good choice with the DDM tuning projectors. The Ebay ones will work fine but they are cheaper quality and come with no warranty. I have a set of Ebay projectors that have never been installed. I thought better of using them before my first retrofit. It's not worth saving the $. just my opinion fwiw

Peace

Tom

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
There are LED conversion kits out there now. They are direct plug and play without a need to wire into the battery. The LED kits I've seen are bright and have a wider area of coverage, but the HIDs have a farther projection distance.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys :)

The h7 kit arrived today, looks to be pretty simple to install. I did have to make a spacer for the bulb from my old h7 spacer, but that wasn't too difficult.

I'll do the install tonight and make a video for anyone who is curious.

I'm thinking about running an led for my high beam, but that depends on the price. I will eventually go dual projector, but for now, considering the cost and ease of installation for this single hid low beam, it should work pretty well

Last edited:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
So, if I wanted HID low and I've done BD43's mod, would I need the H4 hi/low and the H7 kit? or the H4 low and H7 kit?

What's the benefit to doing this over just switching the bulbs to PIAA or something similar?

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
The video will be delayed because I might redo my water seal install, but here is a screen shot of the old Sylvania SilverStar Ultra High Performance H7 bulb vs the new HID

k7mb47o.png

HID:

fKkjwlB.jpg

Extremely happy with the upgrade. For the high beam I'm going to go with an LED from VLED.com:

5000k H4 LED bulb - this may be a pair of bulbs, I'm looking into it
H4 COLLAR (BACKORDERED) - Collars - Parts - LED Headlights
LMZ 45W 4500LM LED CONTROLLER - Controllers - Parts - LED Headlights
H1 POWER WIRE - Power Adapters - Parts - LED Headlights

Last edited: