Votes: 16 3.1%
  • < 3000 miles

Votes: 33 6.3%

• Total voters

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't ideal oil kinda depend on the climate?

e.g. here in Cali going as low as 10w is rather pointless because the temp rarely gets below 50°F. I'd use 20w40 if I could find it, but no luck.

Regarding intervals, I was doing 3k as recommended on my old bike. FZ6 manual says 4k miles, so I was sorta planning on that.

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
At the risk of being flamed, I would say it really doesn't matter. I'm based in Singapore, along the equator, sunny weather all year round, 25-33 Degrees Celsius all the time. I've been using Chex 10W50 and Penzoil 10W40, both fully synthetic for 171000 kilometres now. I suppose the viscosity of the oil when starting the bike at low temp matters for you chaps during winters, but the oil viscosity after it is warmed up seems pretty flexible for this bike over in sunny Singapore. 2004 FZ6S here. My manual states to change engine oil every 10k kilometres. I change them every 6k to 7k kilometres since the bike's milege is pretty high now. The engine is still stock. At about the 200k kilometre mark i should post a parts replacement update on this forum. My wife rides a 2004 FZ6S too, with the same engine oil used. Her bike is at 195k kilometres, no problems either.

rock21586

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not changed my oil yet on my bike.
How often do you guys change the oil filter? Do you guys change it when you are changing the oil?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I change my filter every oil change. For the sake of £5 and the extra 30 seconds it takes to do, I can't think of a reason not to.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
My riding season last year was only four months & 3000 km (1860 mi).
Currently I follow what the manual says. Every 10000 km / annually.
Bike just came out of winter sleep so I changed the oil. Didn't bother with the filter since my last season was so short and the manual recommends replacing it every 20000 km.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My riding season last year was only four months & 3000 km (1860 mi).
Currently I follow what the manual says. Every 10000 km / annually.
Bike just came out of winter sleep so I changed the oil. Didn't bother with the filter since my last season was so short and the manual recommends replacing it every 20000 km.

Both the service manual and owners manual suggest every 4000 mi/6000 km. 10k km is probably fine if you're using synthetic, but leaving dino oil in that long is probably a bad habit. If you have a winter that requires winterizing, you should change the oil before leaving it to sit for the winter months.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
^It's gotta be different for the US deliveries, because the Euro manuals say 10k km.
I have heard the theory of putting your bike to winter sleep with fresh oil before and I totally agree as far as the benefits of fresh oil and its protective additives go. But I would not want to start the season in the spring with 'new' oil that has been sitting for 6-7 months including harsh winter temps. So that means another oil change in the spring.
Several things affect the length of useful age of motor oil. Some of the negatives are frequent start/stop, city traffic/idling and short trips in a cold climate. I'm lucky to have an ideal situation where I star the bike two times per day and ride 38km each time and that's it. Very gentle commute.
Most likely riding for one more week and that's it for this year. Then we're back to cycling. *yaeeks!*

Jedz123

Reaction score
Visit site
Emmm
Well we do have winters here but I never "actually" stop riding. I slow down big time January -March (Generally less then 100 miles in January, lucky 500 miles in Feb, I can almost grab a 1000 in March). Anyway I do changes every 5K miles with synthetic Rotella-T6 5W-40 in the summer and 0W-40 in Early and late season (September-May) on my water-cooled bikes, I change at 3K miles on my air-cooled guys, my TU250X is due soon. Like tires I go through a good amount of oil in all my machines. I'm coming up to my 3rd change for the year on my (water-cooled) Harley-Davidson XG750A, I just did a fresh change for the Fizzy, she's good to go through the winter.

5K miles water cooled, 3K miles for air cooled. I'm generally doing 4-5 oil changes a season with all my kids.