DIY Hard Side Bags

nikolasvel

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are my DIY Hard Side Cases. I am very happy with the outcome. They are approximately 18''x16''x7''. They are waterproof, shockproof and only a fraction of the cost of a GIVI set or any other major brand. I used the soft bags Givi Racks and picked up hardware from my local hardware store. The installation of the whole project took me about 2 hours to complete. I did not find stainless steel brackets but knowing the size of them now i might surface the web for replacement brackets after I see how these hold up.

IMG_20170705_182312.jpgIMG_20170705_182353.jpgIMG_20170705_191107.jpgIMG_20170705_191054.jpg

Last edited:
How did you deal with the rear turn signals?? I am currently (mentally) struggling... I have the Givi monokey and siderails installed, 365 days a year, just so that I can use my hard-cases 1-2x a year. It gives me much more of an ADV look, which I can sorta' deal with. However, the kicker is that the rear turn signals have to go on stalks to get _behind_ where the cases are, so that I have side visibility. I know SW Motech has a quick-detach side-rail kit, but pretty sure it is for an '06+ which is not for me. The more I look at it, the more I don't care for it... especially with my new turn signals (yamaha blinker plus)

So I bought a tail-tidy bracket, and I think this winter I want to 1) install that, and then 2) rig something up whereby I can easily add/remove the side-rail support, and 3) easily adjust the position of the rear signals (either move, or slide rearwards when it is needed). I'm not sure where I will end up or what it'll turn into, but it has become the proverbial thorn in my side.

How did you deal with the rear turn signals?? I am currently (mentally) struggling... I have the Givi monokey and siderails installed, 365 days a year, just so that I can use my hard-cases 1-2x a year. It gives me much more of an ADV look, which I can sorta' deal with. However, the kicker is that the rear turn signals have to go on stalks to get _behind_ where the cases are, so that I have side visibility. I know SW Motech has a quick-detach side-rail kit, but pretty sure it is for an '06+ which is not for me. The more I look at it, the more I don't care for it... especially with my new turn signals (yamaha blinker plus)

So I bought a tail-tidy bracket, and I think this winter I want to 1) install that, and then 2) rig something up whereby I can easily add/remove the side-rail support, and 3) easily adjust the position of the rear signals (either move, or slide rearwards when it is needed). I'm not sure where I will end up or what it'll turn into, but it has become the proverbial thorn in my side.

I have a fender eliminator kit with aftermarket smaller turn signals. I am sure that side visibility won't be great but I am not too concerned about it. Have you considered an Ebay Aftermarket taillight with integrated turn signals on it? I used to have one on my old FZ6. I am sure you could wire both the turn signals and tail light to work simultaneously. They are cheap and shouldn't be too hard of an install.

The issue I am having with the Givi side rails is that they restrict the rear passenger foot pegs from flipping up and down. I would literally have to put the side rails on a vice and bend them, but I am not sure I wanna do it. Therefore, my rear foot pegs have to stay flipped down now.

Last edited:
I have similar issues with the GIVI side racks. I decided that I'd rather just live without sideracks than have the ugly rack on there and have to move the turn signals for the once or twice a year I might actually want side cases.

I have a brand spanking new set of sidecase racks if anyone wants 'em, I guess.

I have similar issues with the GIVI side racks. I decided that I'd rather just live without sideracks than have the ugly rack on there and have to move the turn signals for the once or twice a year I might actually want side cases.

Well, I cant believe you're that unhappy with the Givi racks to just give them away! Are they for '07+? I'll pay for shipping and hassle at least plus a nominal sell price. Let me know..........

At least I'm not the only one who feels that way. Not ready to junk them, but post-Sept... it's No. 1 on my ToDo list for the winter.

I too would be interested in purchasing the Givi side racks you have if you are trying to get rid of them. I suddenly have the itch to do this mod, especially with the discomfort of wearing a backpack in the SC summer heat.

Back