New FZ owner /chains tires

Sco

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Great forum that you have here. I am Scot (sco) from St.Louis,MO.
I have been riding scooters for over 8 years now and just got good deal on a 2008 FZ. I have been lurking on the forum about chains and tires.
The FZ that I bought was not stored in a garage, so there is some rust.
A lot of rust on the chain, I think I decided to replace it and the sprocket set.
dealer wants $200. ( does this seem high?)
Just getting to know this bike, and I am no mechanic, so this is beyond my skill set.
It also will need new tires soon, I am leaning towards the Michelin Pilots
I am a huge Pirelli fan, Dunlop, not so much.

so any recommendations would be much appreciated, and I am looking forward to learning this bike. Thanks :Flash:

Regarding rust be sure to clean all parts nearby the chain-area thorougly. There might be bits and pieces which are not aluminium that could have been contaminated...

I have only ridden with Michelin Pilot 2 (commuting, sporty riding, bike courses on racingtracks) and always been satisfied, so I might end up buying Pilot 3 when I need to change tires (maybe next season)... or maybe Bridgestone because I heard good things about them from the instructors at bike courses. Never buy some discount tires (you only got 2 of them below you!).

Welcome to the forum and congrates on the new bike!

A complete genuine Yamaha sprocket set and chain (DID) will set you back roughly $150.00 (IMHO, I wouldn't go with a chinese knock off set) so an additional $50 for the install is a pretty good deal...

As for tires lots of opinions, the PR3's apparently have better wet traction than the 2's, I believe the II's (which I have) last a little longer, I would personally go with either tire. The II's hold up really well, my ft tire still looks new with over 9,000 miles on it, I changed out the rear (with another II) as I had two small punctures in it, it was about 2/3's worn...

Thanks, I was looking at the Michelin Pilots, and Pilot road (I think)
I guess that is what PR stands for.
They did not specify the brand of chain, but i know way back when I raced BMX bicycles, I always used D.I.D chains.

Can vouch for the awesomeness of the Pilot 3's.:Flash: 200 sounds reasonable to me.

Back