Need Help Which way do the ignition coils plug in?

NEBO

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, my first post here after being a long time lurker.

I've been chasing down an intermittent code 33 on the bike. The ignition coil spade terminals are marked with '+' and '-', is it correct to assume that the red wire goes on the '+' and orange wire goes on the '-'?
Also found the cyl 2/3 coil connected backwards, does that affect anything? (I know an error on that coil would give a code 34 instead of the 33 that I have.)

Sorry if its a silly question, I've looked at the service manual wiring diagram but I couldn't figure out for sure. Also no luck with google.
Attached image on how I plugged mine in. TIA!

photo_2022-07-11_21-16-59.jpg

Hi all, my first post here after being a long time lurker.

I've been chasing down an intermittent code 33 on the bike. The ignition coil spade terminals are marked with '+' and '-', is it correct to assume that the red wire goes on the '+' and orange wire goes on the '-'?
Also found the cyl 2/3 coil connected backwards, does that affect anything? (I know an error on that coil would give a code 34 instead of the 33 that I have.)

Sorry if its a silly question, I've looked at the service manual wiring diagram but I couldn't figure out for sure. Also no luck with google.
Attached image on how I plugged mine in. TIA!

View attachment 75037

It is just a coil, so I can't see it being an issue and I am REALLY sure that it would not throw a 33 code.

I recommend an easy test. Swap the coils and see what happens to the error code. If the code changed to a 34, you have a bad coil. If it stays a 33, then it is the wiring or connectors of ECU circuitry.

Hi trepetti, thanks for the reply. Good to know polarity doesn't matter.

I've already replaced the coil with a new one I had, bike has been running well so far but on a recent ride I felt one intermittent loss of power again.
Check on diagnostic mode memory and it was code 33 again!
Will have a look at the ECU and wiring next.

On another note, while replacing the coil I tested the spark plug cap resistance.

Cyl 1 spark plug cap: 8.74k ohms
Cyl 4 spark plug cap: 9.37k ohms

Since the manual only gives one value (10k ohms) as 'in-spec', I wonder if my readings were sufficiently off to warrant replacement?

On another note, while replacing the coil I tested the spark plug cap resistance.

Cyl 1 spark plug cap: 8.74k ohms
Cyl 4 spark plug cap: 9.37k ohms

Since the manual only gives one value (10k ohms) as 'in-spec', I wonder if my readings were sufficiently off to warrant replacement?
Close enough. The resistance that would effect your error codes will be the primary winding resistance.

Back