And Another Bike Followed Me Home

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten kind of addicted to FB Marketplace. Since October I check it a few times a day, restricting my searches to bikes below $2,000, newest first. I save bikes that look interesting and if I notice a price drop I reach out to the owner; figuring that I have a motivated seller. 9 out of 10 times bikes are sold and I simply delete them from my saved category. I'm typically looking for "my next winter project" type bikes, something to ride in the Reliability Rally next year. But my persistent lurking payed off this week - big time.

I scored a sweet deal on a '98 Ducati ST2 last night. The original owner decided to put his well-cared-for (50k miles) ST2 up for sale. More important than the price, he wanted it to go to the right buyer; someone that would be able to care for the bike the way he had for nearly 25 years - and I met his standards. This ST was one of several in his garage.

The bike came with OEM cases and assorted extra parts. New tires, brakes and brake/clutch lines were recently fitted. I brought it all home for $1,200 ($800 for the bike and $400 for the cases and extras). This bike is a solid 9, and one that should have sold for 5 times what I paid for it.

On the do-do list are timing belts, a valve adjustment, a new battery and a TB sync. It would appear that the original owner endured all of the known issues with the '98 model year and was eager to point out all of the upgrades, fixes, and work arounds.

I've owned nothing but Japanese bikes for the last 50 years - so I have a feeling there will be a learning curve getting to know this machine.

These are the photos from the FB ad.

Ducati ST2 Front.jpgDucati ST2 Left.jpgDucati ST2 Right.jpg

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten kind of addicted to FB Marketplace. Since October I check it a few times a day, restricting my searches to bikes below $2,000, newest first. I save bikes that look interesting and if I notice a price drop I reach out to the owner; figuring that I have a motivated seller. 9 out of 10 times bikes are sold and I simply delete them from my saved category. I'm typically looking for "my next winter project" type bikes, something to ride in the Reliability Rally next year. But my persistent lurking payed off this week - big time.

I scored a sweet deal on a '98 Ducati ST2 last night. The original owner decided to put his well-cared-for (50k miles) ST2 up for sale. More important than the price, he wanted it to go to the right buyer; someone that would be able to care for the bike the way he had for nearly 25 years - and I met his standards. This ST was one of several in his garage.

The bike came with OEM cases and assorted extra parts. New tires, brakes and brake/clutch lines were recently fitted. I brought it all home for $1,200 ($800 for the bike and $400 for the cases and extras). This bike is a solid 9, and one that should have sold for 5 times what I paid for it.

On the do-do list are timing belts, a valve adjustment, a new battery and a TB sync. It would appear that the original owner endured all of the known issues with the '98 model year and was eager to point out all of the upgrades, fixes, and work arounds.

I've owned nothing but Japanese bikes for the last 50 years - so I have a feeling there will be a learning curve getting to know this machine.

These are the photos from the FB ad.

View attachment 75023View attachment 75024View attachment 75025
Oh MAN! When I got back into riding I realized that I was likely only going to have 1 bike at a time...... and I wanted a Red or Yellow ST. Looks beautiful