Another Bike Hauler! Inspired by ant_mb (Now modded!)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A while back, Anthony inspired me to buy and mod a trailer for the bikes. This was planned for some time so we can haul them to TN next month. I already had the wheel chocks from Haulmaster. I bought the two recessed D rings and put those in today. I do need to buy three more sets of the soft-hook tie-downs.

I intentionally left 24" up front because I am building a air/water tight locking storage trunk to place there which will double as my stone guard.

Here's the setup!

View attachment 15448 View attachment 15449 View attachment 15450

View attachment 15451 View attachment 15452 View attachment 15453

View attachment 15454 View attachment 15455 View attachment 15456

View attachment 15457

Last edited:
Re: Another Bike Hauler! Inspired by ant_mb :D

I bought the proper locks for the hitch, trailer tongue, and even a lock for an unattended trailer. I have cable locks for the bikes themselves.

Both bikes drive onto the trailer with some slight mechanical help. The FZ6 isn't a problem at all. The V Star is a low clearance bike. I found that if the trailer is locked to the truck, I can lower the jack and lift the trailer and rear of the truck some to lower the rear of the trailer and cut the angle of attack. If I straddle her bike and walk it up, I clear without dragging at all. Perfect!!!

Being new to long hauling, any more tips, ideas, etc?

Being new to long hauling, any more tips, ideas, etc?

Just a couple.
1. Take me with you!
2. Where is the Red FZ6 gonna fit;)

Nice set up Eric, sounds like the making for a great trip! Enjoy!

Just a couple.
1. Take me with you!
2. Where is the Red FZ6 gonna fit;)

Nice set up Eric, sounds like the making for a great trip! Enjoy!

There's still room for one in the truck bed! :D

Thanks! Now you can see half the reason why I couldn't make that trip today? ;)

Very Nice!!! Well done, cant wait to see it in a month or so. Whish I could have gone that route but lack of storage space required a standup stowable trailer.

Looks like an good setup - makes me wish had a trailer (and something to that would tow a trailer). There's a few places I want to go but don't have the vacation time to get there riding the whole way without spending long days slabbing it which I'm not into. Something like this would totally solve that problem.

Smaller singles (trailers) can be had fairly cheap and will haul with most any vehicle.

Check out this one: http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/745TC-1TS76M.htm

I bought this heavy duty trailer because it is going to double as a cargo/utility trailer. I plan on making the chocks removable/lockable at some point by fabricating a metal mount that will stretch side to side on the trailer.

Very nice setup. I have a three rail trailer for my dirt bike. Not anything like your trailer. You're dialed now. :thumbup:

Are the straps pulling down on the ends of the handlebars? I can't tell from the pics. Is that where they're supposed to go? What about any straps in the rear of the bikes? Just asking out of curiosity.

Smaller singles (trailers) can be had fairly cheap and will haul with most any vehicle.

Check out this one: http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/745TC-1TS76M.htm

I bought this heavy duty trailer because it is going to double as a cargo/utility trailer. I plan on making the chocks removable/lockable at some point by fabricating a metal mount that will stretch side to side on the trailer.

Good idea - I've used a triple-bike version of a trailer like that a few times - it's way better for loading with two people although it can be done with one person with practice. The issue is that the ramp (a least on the one I use) is not much wider than the 180 rear so you have to be spot on with the bike and then there's nothing to walk up with at the same time.

My personal towing vehicle problem is that I buy hot rod versions of things that would tow a bike no problem but they then have hardware in places that prevent the hitches for the other models of that same car from fitting without serious modification. Been thinking hard lately about trading to get a more everyday car that would tow since the FZ is really my toy anyway. If I get there I think a setup like this would be a nice balance of easy to use and practical without going crazy and getting an enclosed.

Nice rig!:thumbup:

My trailer is currently setup for one bike, but I would like to be able to haul two. What size is your trailer? Chock spacing and stagger? Do you have enough tongue weight with the bikes that far back?

Are the straps pulling down on the ends of the handlebars? I can't tell from the pics. Is that where they're supposed to go? What about any straps in the rear of the bikes? Just asking out of curiosity.

Yes, the straps are. Those are called Canyon Dancers. It's a set of straps with tubes that slide over the grips and cinch together as you tighten the tie-downs.

View attachment 15475

*EDIT* I forgot to answer your other question. For the test fit and to determine if everything was how I wanted it to be, I didn't tie down the back of either bike (they didn't actually travel that day) but yes, I installed a D centered in the back. When I travel, I'd have the rear tied as well to prevent them from moving side to side.

Last edited:

Looks nice. Is it a 6x10?

You are correct! A 5x8 just isn't big enough for two bikes, especially with the V Star as her's is just shy of 8 feet long by itself. :eek:

This trailer is rated for 2200 lbs and has a 3900 lb axle. Full 15" tires (Bias ply but I intend to get some nice wheels and radials on there in another year. :D

Good idea - I've used a triple-bike version of a trailer like that a few times - it's way better for loading with two people although it can be done with one person with practice. The issue is that the ramp (a least on the one I use) is not much wider than the 180 rear so you have to be spot on with the bike and then there's nothing to walk up with at the same time.

My personal towing vehicle problem is that I buy hot rod versions of things that would tow a bike no problem but they then have hardware in places that prevent the hitches for the other models of that same car from fitting without serious modification. Been thinking hard lately about trading to get a more everyday car that would tow since the FZ is really my toy anyway. If I get there I think a setup like this would be a nice balance of easy to use and practical without going crazy and getting an enclosed.

They do sell those with wider tracks, also longer arched tracks, should you want them, and you can make a small ramp to walk up it with. The 5x8 model of my trailer is a full ramp also, but it costs about $1,200 for it. :(

How about keeping the current vehicle and find a used truck? :thumbup:

Nice rig!:thumbup:

My trailer is currently setup for one bike, but I would like to be able to haul two. What size is your trailer? Chock spacing and stagger? Do you have enough tongue weight with the bikes that far back?

It is a 6x10 and the gate is 48" long. I set the chocks back 24" from the front which put the bulk of the weight over the axle but still slightly forward. I tested it by leaving the chains hooked and releasing the tongue, then even tried lifting it myself. Then I went to the back of the trailer and stood on it and the tongue didn't lift. WHEW! The chocks are 3' apart, roughly.

Hi Eric

Nice, setup. Depending on how far you’re traveling, you may want to change the hooks on the end of your tie downs to snap hooks.

View attachment 15476

A mate of mine recently sustained a lot of damage to his off road bike when it unhooked itself under emergency breaking and the bike sprung itself off of the trailer onto the tar. Understandably an off road bike has more travel, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’ve change all my tie downs hooks already

Enjoy your trip

FZ6-ZN

Hi Eric

Nice, setup. Depending on how far you’re traveling, you may want to change the hooks on the end of your tie downs to snap hooks.

View attachment 15476

A mate of mine recently sustained a lot of damage to his off road bike when it unhooked itself under emergency breaking and the bike sprung itself off of the trailer onto the tar. Understandably an off road bike has more travel, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’ve change all my tie downs hooks already

Enjoy your trip

FZ6-ZN

Whoa!! That's the BEST tip I've heard and had not thought of that. Thanks and I certainly will do this. Does any of the specialty stores actually make tie-downs with these already included as hooks?

Whoa!! That's the BEST tip I've heard and had not thought of that. Thanks and I certainly will do this. Does any of the specialty stores actually make tie-downs with these already included as hooks?

Hi Eric

I bought stainless steel (40kN) snap hooks from the local boating store. They are inexpensive (R80 each / $7) considering the damage you could sustain if your bike unhooks itself.

Tony

Back