Bikini - The Sunken Nuclear Fleet

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for posting that.

Why do you call it a waste? :confused:

Also, did you notice the ant inside the camera housing right at the very end? :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as someone who's worked in the nuclear weapon business for over 11 years, I'd respectfully disagree; when a new weapon comes on the scene you need to check vulnerabilities of existing weapons, personnel, tactics, infrastructure, etc.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever the reason tis an amazing sight to see .

But i never thought of a fleet of ships being targeted in an attack of that type :eek: though guess it might be ...

Did anyone ever go back down there in more recent times ... tech is much better now and would maybe see more ?

D

Dave.TX

Growing up in San Diego I have a great respect for the navy and the ships. The Saratoga was commissioned in 1928 and served through WWII. She survived 2 separate torpedo attacks and sustained heavy damage by Kamikaze during Iwo Jima. She was made into a training carrier late in WWII and used to bring troops back home after the war. She sank after the second bomb blast at Bikini Atoll in 1946.

Having been on several floating museums it would be really nice if one of these early WWII carriers (Lexington class) survived to become a museum. I know Corpus Christie, TX, has the replacement of the USS Lexington (Essex class) which I have seen from a distance but not up close. In San Diego you can visit the USS Midway (launched in 1945) museum. Until 1955 it was the largest ship in the world. It takes pretty much all day to tour the ship but well worth it.

Some of my vacations have been to see floating museums like those, they're just awesome to see. I couldn't imagine the privilege of diving to see the USS Saratoga and other historical warships. I'd cry underwater.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Spectacular! It's gotta be one of man's most beautiful scenes, the blast from an atomic bomb erupting in a magnificent mushroom cloud. It's so beautiful. Too bad it's not just for fun/fireworks. It sometimes amazes me that we haven't yet had a terrorist or inadvertant detenition of one of the many that are in the world's stockpile. Accidents, of course, always happen, just a matter of when. Or, what happens when the instigator of a blast in unknown? This happens all the time with conventional blasts. I really liked toruing the Atomic Bomb museum in Las Vegas, lots of beautiful shots of above ground test blasts (I would like to personally walk one of the blast crators pocketing the Nevada desert).

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(I would like to personally walk one of the blast crators pocketing the Nevada desert).

I got to tour that area in around 1989, including the houses, schools, bunkers and factories that were tested in above-ground nuclear blasts (what you've no doubt seen old black-n-white videos of) and the mines where they did underground detonations (at that time). Really a fascinating place, and kinda spooky.