Buying used FZ6, what should i look out for?

hunch

Reaction score
Visit site
hello FZ gang,

i am about to purchase a 2007 FZ6 with little over 6k on it.
any specific things i should be looking for?
it's not going to be my first bike. i've ridden bikes majority
of my adult life and have had an FZ6 before but never bought used, always new.

so if you have couple minutes, please let me know.

current owner says it has been laid down but professionally repaired.
i guess only damage was cosmetic.

also what do you think i should be paying for it?
thanks in advance!

like i've said, i never bought a used bike, always new so i never had to
and it didn't even dawned on me to go look for a "checklist" specially
i've had bikes in my life.. but thank you anyways.

Extensive used bike guide!
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Listen to the engine, and how does it ride. I just picked up an 08 FZ6, I rode an 05, 06 that were cheaper but the 06 seemed alittle sluggish and had major mods so I guessed ridden harder.

Good luck and trust your instincts.

And for price kbb, trade is cheap retail high - somewhere in the middle seems fair. Nada have one too but it seems too high.

I also bought a used 2007 fz6 with about 4000 miles last year. There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a used bike - in fact, they are what I prefer. This is what I look at when buying a used bike.
1. Tires - if they need replaced, count on an extra $300 or so for quality replacements
2. Damage - you said that it was repaired, but get specifics about what was repaired. There's a bit difference between a 20mph low side that scuffed some paint, and a 60mph high side that cracked the frame. Get specifics on what was done, and maybe ask for the bill of sale from the shop that did the service.
3. Inquire about maintenance - people take care of their stuff differently than you. Did they grease the chain every 500 - 700 miles? Did they change the oil every 1500 - 2000 miles? Did they replace the air filter as recommended at 6000 miles?
4. Ride it - this is the biggest thing I think. A good, straight bike should not shake, wobble, clank, bang, hesitate, sputter, groan, leak, or grind. Unless we're talking about an old Triumph - then all these mean that it's in perfect mechanical order ;). But seriously, modern bikes for the most part should be smooth as butter. Especially the FZ6. This is a tight machine.

PS - no offense to Triumph people - I LOVE old Bonnevilles and Tridents. Gorgeous pieces of rolling art. My father has a 72 Bonny that I've been lusting after for years.

2007 is the first year of the series 2 which has several improvements. 6K in not that many miles particularly if you think about how many per year. What I'd look for:
Repairs - do what others have said
Maintenance - what do they say, you have owned bikes before, does it look like they say
Tires - how old, how much tread. Doubt that the OE Bridgerocks made it to 6K. If over 4 or 5 years old I would replace no matter how much tread.
Timing chain tensioner - noise from the right side of the engine when cold? As I recall mine lasted about 12k to 15k.
Chain and sprockets - should be in near perfect shape
Head bearings - have they been cleaned and re-lubed? Look carefully under the bottom bearing to see if you can spot any rusty leakage from bearing - just because you don't see anything does not mean they are good.
Forks - any sign of seepage or leakage around fork seals.
Color - is it your favorite color, if not then deduct $ from the price :) BTW blue is faster

thank you all for all the input, i really appreciate it.

blue is faster?? LOL :D

The better Blue is at least.. :rolleyes:

I'd double-down on the tire check - I got my bike at a great price a few weeks ago (09) however I needed a rear tire the moment I got it - so basically added another $200-300 to the purchase. (Still hunting for a good tire deal, getting the bike broke me for the moment..).

i know i will have to replace the front tire, but i think i will replace both at the same time in next month or so. i won't be riding any time soon, still snow predictions here in MN :) so that will give me time to go through all the checks and fluid changes and all.

Back