CCT replacement, what do I need to do?

Golleman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Planning to replace my cam chain tensioner as I suspect a faint ticking noise from right side and warm engine is caused by a worn cct. Not that expensive, seems to be a common issue and almost to be considered periodic maintenance.

But, reading up on the task, many seem to point out to be cautious so that the chain doesn't skip a tooth when replacing the cct. I would of cause like to just unbolt the old one and bolt back the new. Can someone please explain how the chain can skip a tooth when by removing the cct without any other movement in the engine?

Thanks, I really need to get the how and why...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Planning to replace my cam chain tensioner as I suspect a faint ticking noise from right side and warm engine is caused by a worn cct. Not that expensive, seems to be a common issue and almost to be considered periodic maintenance.

But, reading up on the task, many seem to point out to be cautious so that the chain doesn't skip a tooth when replacing the cct. I would of cause like to just unbolt the old one and bolt back the new. Can someone please explain how the chain can skip a tooth when by removing the cct without any other movement in the engine?

Thanks, I really need to get the how and why...

What happens is with the CCT removed, all the slack in the chain is towards the rear (and the CCT). Pull out the CCT and that slack drops the chain down(gravity) towards the crankshaft sprocket. If loose enough, the chain can jump (actually "move") a tooth when the CCT is re-installed..

You may get by with just swapping the CCT and not pulling the cam chain cover but really, is it worth possibly damaging your head/valves should the chain jump?

The cam chain cover isn't hard to pull, just need a new gasket and some patience removing the old gasket material.

You can see in this picture, when I did my valve adjustment, I stuffed a rag between the crankshaft gear / chain and the block. That kept the chain from jumping- no doubt.