Clicking noise when moving in reverse

ShaneAnze

Reaction score
Visit site
If it was the wheel bearing would it not be there constantly? Like it vanished last week when I went to have a look and lightly pressed the brakes

ShaneAnze

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went over to the local bike mechanic (needs an oil change) and got him to have a look at it. The noise is coming from the brake area, the metal shims are sometimes touching the disk. But the disk is slightly warped which is most likely the culprit.

Thanks anyway guys

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't hear anything at all (No sound coming thru) however, besides those shims possibly hitting the rotor, as Gary noted, I'd check those wheel bearings.

Those, if really bad, could have that wheel flopping about/noisy... To be a warped disc, it'd have to be WAY bent to be rubbing on/off the rotor.....

ShaneAnze

Reaction score
Visit site
If there's no sound try turning up your volume or checking it's not muted, it's def there as Gary could heir it.

The mechanic tested the wheel there's no wobbling. He also said that if it was the noise would be there all the time not intermittently.

I litteraly showed him the clip and he went straight to the breaks, not chain or wheel bearing. He played around with the caliper and he could get the noise to go and come back after pressing the peddle. After that he did the test to check the wheel bearing and it was solid, only movement was from the whole bike as he shacked it.

Like if it goes away after fiddling around with the caliper then how can it be the wheel bearing? And why wouldn't it be there the whole time?

ShaneAnze

Reaction score
Visit site
Took the caliper off and spun the wheel, no noise at all. I decided to seen what it was like putting the shim against the disk and the sound was the same just continues as opposed to certain points

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Removing the pads would do the same as removing the caliper un-less the main, large aluminum bracket is striking the disc...

Probably not the issue but make sure the shaft (with the rubber "accordion") for the rear caliper is clean and well lubricated with BRAKE SPECIFIC grease. It should be able to float/ move as the pads wear. If not cleaned/lubed once in a great while (likely not serviced as it's not a week/failure point on the bike), it will cause some dragging..

A dial caliper or similar set up should be able to show how much (if) , out of round spec's are on that disc...

Please post back what the fix actually is as a "clicking" rear caliper is a first here...

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m glad it’s something simple. I wouldn’t worry too much about a noise that only presents itself when the tire turns backwards, unless of course you plan on riding like that.

Check the condition of the pads and if they are wearing evenly I would move on. If you see asymmetrical wear, you’ll need to investigate further.

ShaneAnze

Reaction score
Visit site
Townsend - yes when I changed the pads I cleaned the rubber boots and put in appropriate red rubber greese prior to installation of the bolts. Will post the fix when I get it fixed, need parts and time.

Gary - ya now that I know what it is I'm more at ease. Not sure how well riding in reverse will go on a main road haha. The pads are wearing evenly so that's all good.