Clip-ons mod recomandations

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
As an update to the Swatt clip-ons I was planning on trying, since they have a 3.5" rise which should clear the tank and fairing even while under the triple, their website stopped working last week. I contacted the dealer that was covering the SV crowd and this is the reply I got:

SV Racing Parts said:
Hi Sorry you waited too long, SWATT is no longer shipping these parts at all. I purchased all their inventory, if you need 41mm or 46mm clip on Clamps you are in luck, I also have risers in 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 left,

Let me know if I can help you out or you have friends wanting the parts I mention,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

W. Blair Layton
SV Racing Parts
[email protected]

I guess they went out of business:( Back to searching some more...

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
As an update to the Swatt clip-ons I was planning on trying, since they have a 3.5" rise which should clear the tank and fairing even while under the triple, their website stopped working last week. I contacted the dealer that was covering the SV crowd and this is the reply I got:

I guess they went out of business:( Back to searching some more...

that would have been an excelent alternative... better then VFR or CBR clip-ons
to bad...

As an update to my mod:
I also ordered 1kg/mm springs from Sonic Springs... I will update with proper info and bike geometry issues (if any) once installed. I am going to also change fork oil to 15wt.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Clip-ons mod recomandations - Final Look - Almost!

Ok, so I got the proper VFR bar weights and the inner weights retainer for the clip ons. Here should be the final look except that I have to play with the left handlebar as there is some space between the weight and bar but that should change nothing in the end. Also, I would like to specify that I just had a 200km trip and seen no significant difference in the handling of the bike (compared to my suburban I had before which will go up for sale) besides the position being a bit more forward. Actually it is more because the bars are a bit more apart then anything else and therefore the arms are more on an open position. I have not yet received the 1kg springs and 15wt oil but I suppose it will be even better once those are installed.

Here are the pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude it looks friggin sweet so far. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Whaddata know? You got to it before I could even post my comment! It looks great. Would look even better without BT-020. How's the comfort level? I'm similar build to you and I'm curious about this mod now but don't want to lose much comfort. What make is that triple?

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Whaddata know? You got to it before I could even post my comment! It looks great. Would look even better without BT-020. How's the comfort level? I'm similar build to you and I'm curious about this mod now but don't want to lose much comfort. What make is that triple?

BT-020? What is it?

Comfort is better IMO as if you're 6ft or over you are less "in the wind" and therefore have less stress cause of that. Nevertheless some ppls are going naked so I suppose the wind is something they appreciate :D

Also, I find the bars more apart and therefore it took a few miles and a few curves to get readjusted. It is now a tiny bit easier to turn i suppose as it takes less pressure on the handle for the bike to respond. I think this mod is safe for as long as you play it safe... (time to readjust to the handling, proper springs...).

The triple is a custom built one (10 made and none other) and therefore you wont be able to get another one but check a few other clip ons mods to see how to cut the original one. It is as good IMO and much cheaper as you can get an eBay one for $50 to $70 instead of the one I have that costs over $200.

In all, if you consider the costs, it is over $600 this mod.

triple - $250
clipons - $100
weights - $25
weights-retainer for VFR - $60
springs and oil - $120

and you pay shipping on all you buy, on some you pay taxes...
I will post again once the new springs are installed and will let all interested ppls know if there is a difference or geometry change.

Ride safe,
zamolxes

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
BT-020 = your tires

I really like the looks of the VFR clip ons. Particularly, I like all the black you have (triples, clip ons, grips, bar ends) on the front end. It looks awesome!

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the springs, though I am considering a heavier weight oil. Seems 15wt is pretty standard for the 200lb+ crowd. How does the oil swap affect handling?

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and +1 on the blacked-out paint scheme. Really pulls everything together and just looks tough.

PDodson

Reaction score
Visit site
BT-020? What is it?

Comfort is better IMO as if you're 6ft or over you are less "in the wind" and therefore have less stress cause of that. Nevertheless some ppls are going naked so I suppose the wind is something they appreciate :D

Also, I find the bars more apart and therefore it took a few miles and a few curves to get readjusted. It is now a tiny bit easier to turn i suppose as it takes less pressure on the handle for the bike to respond. I think this mod is safe for as long as you play it safe... (time to readjust to the handling, proper springs...).

The triple is a custom built one (10 made and none other) and therefore you wont be able to get another one but check a few other clip ons mods to see how to cut the original one. It is as good IMO and much cheaper as you can get an eBay one for $50 to $70 instead of the one I have that costs over $200.

In all, if you consider the costs, it is over $600 this mod.

triple - $250
clipons - $100
weights - $25
weights-retainer for VFR - $60
springs and oil - $120

and you pay shipping on all you buy, on some you pay taxes...
I will post again once the new springs are installed and will let all interested ppls know if there is a difference or geometry change.

Ride safe,
zamolxes

so did your riding style change? i know on a stock bike you are in the upright position, are you leaning foward a little more with these?

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
so did your riding style change? i know on a stock bike you are in the upright position, are you leaning foward a little more with these?

basically, the handlebars are lower by about 2 to 3 inches compared to the original (considering I dropped the fork 1 inch as well). they are pretty much at the height of your handlebar retainer. As well, I have not measured it but have a clear impression they are wider apart with the clip ons so yes, my upper body is in a lower position.

As for the riding style if it changes, I suppose yes because of the positioning change but will be able to make a full analysis after a few more hundred km and new springs installed. I did not pushed the bike to much because of the current springs being kinda compressed with the longer spacers and not taking unnecessary risks. I did went up to about 155 to 160km/h max on a short stretch.

Last edited: