Compare 1999 FZ6 with 2022 Triumph Trident 660.

meldrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I adore my FZ6, and as I am ancient I lowered the seat height and fitted 30mm handlebar risers to suit me, it has done 26000 miles, just fitted new tyres, chain and sprockets.
Several friends have bought new Triumph 660 Tridents and pushing me to buy one, so I compared some specs;

FAZER TRIDENT

BHP 95 80
MPG 55 51
Top Speed 135 120
Weight 189 kg 189 kg
Seat Height 31 31.7
1/4 Mile 12 secs 12secs
0-60 time 3.4 secs 3.43 secs

Fazer road tax cheaper. In 23 years what progress? I would buy a new Fazer if they were still made, I crave nothing else, and at the price they are now I could buy another as a spare, and still save over £5000. Whats wrong with my thinking?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There’s nothing wrong with your thinking, the FZ is a great bike and great value.

You provided some specs, but we don’t ride specs, we ride machines. See if one of your riding mates will allow you to swap bikes for some time. As the specs show, the FZ will be more powerful. But I think that you will find that the 660 will have a better suspension, offering a superior ride. I also think that the instrument cluster on the 660 is far easier to read than the one on the FZ. But those improvements come at a higher price. With a little investment you can make improvements to the suspension on your FZ....and still have a lot money left in your pockets.

Last edited:

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The part the numbers dont tell you straight away is how accessible that power is, the triumph will have max torque/power sooner than the FZ and probably across a larger part of the power band.

But i personally love the feeling of the I4's power that just keeps going up into the redline. I havent ridden the trident but with the big twins i find them boring in their power distribution when you want to be a bit childish with the throttle.

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I had, as you can see in my profile pic.... F'ing loved that bike a Yamaha F6S, better brakes than my fz6 2005, to me @meldrew, I didn't need any more "bike" it was perfect, did the fork springs, and an arrow can, that was all I needed.

The brakes really blew me away on that bike, streets ahead.

You would be gaining, abs and traction cntrl and a fancier tacho the torque is only 1nm more