Don't throw away your stock exhaust and cat pipe

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I installed the Leo Vince a week back I was wondering what I would do with the stock exhaust and the cat pipe that came off. I was considering selling it for like $20 or something but shipping such a thing would be such a hassle.
Then today while I was looking up for price of the mud guard that got damage during my accident I decided to see how much these go for.

#8 Catalyst assy $603.09
# 17 Muffer Assembly 1 $479.63
#25 Protector Assembly $315.02

according to Illinois Yamaha Suzuki Motorcycle ATV Dealer - Champion Cycle Center - Kawasaki Scooter Utility-vehicle Watercraft

That's a total ~1400. I hope all you guys that did exhaust upgrade kept your exhaust and cat pipe. Now the question is though, who's going to want to buy these items?? And how much can you realistic expect to sell them for?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
these do not sell for very much, those prices are the reason that bikes get totaled so easily in an accident... People sell those for about $50 all the time... lots of people give them away in the freebie section.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please explain.:confused:

If you ever get booked for having loud pipes...and then have to go for a inspection....you will need to put the OEM pipes back on to get through...or is that just in our part of the World???

Also when you wanna sell the bike, you can put them back on, and sell the aftermarket pipes seperately...you will get more money back this way...

:thumbup:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
If you ever get booked for having loud pipes...and then have to go for a inspection....you will need to put the OEM pipes back on to get through...or is that just in our part of the World???

Not in these parts, we have no such inspections, at least in Illinois. Besides who would want to go through the hassle of putting it in back and forth.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides who would want to go through the hassle of putting it in back and forth.

Some of us have no choice! If you get defected for loud pipes, you have to take your bike to an inspection centre and get the noise level checked, before you can ride the bike again!!! No aftermarket pipe is going to make it through inspection, when legal limit in Oz is supposed to be 96Db!!!

Yes i know, it's crap, but so are our FE laws!!! Draconian to say the least, revenue raising at best!!! Inspection costs $140!!!

:(

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of us have no choice! If you get defected for loud pipes, you have to take your bike to an inspection centre and get the noise level checked, before you can ride the bike again!!! No aftermarket pipe is going to make it through inspection, when legal limit in Oz is supposed to be 96Db!!!

Yes i know, it's crap, but so are our FE laws!!! Draconian to say the least, revenue raising at best!!! Inspection costs $140!!!

:(

So it all balances out then. You Aussies always make fun of us in the winter time when we have to put our bikes away, making jokes like "You should move to Australia, we ride all year long". Well here although we can only ride 1/2 of the year, we can be as loud as we want! :ban:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So it all balances out then. You Aussies always make fun of us in the winter time when we have to put our bikes away, making jokes like "You should move to Australia, we ride all year long". Well here although we can only ride 1/2 of the year, we can be as loud as we want! :ban:

Lol! Nah, we just put on the loud pipes, and take our chances! :D

It's generally only a problem if your very unlucky to get booked when doing nothing wrong...or when you are riding like a maniac on the roads anyway, and get caught doing so!!! :eek:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! Nah, we just put on the loud pipes, and take our chances! :D

It's generally only a problem if your very unlucky to get booked when doing nothing wrong...or when you are riding like a maniac on the roads anyway, and get caught doing so!!! :eek:
i also can ride all year long! :) you guys take the risk to install loud pipes? what's the fine for being caught with illegal pipes?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i also can ride all year long! :) you guys take the risk to install loud pipes? what's the fine for being caught with illegal pipes?

No actual fine, justy a $140 inspection fee...not enough to stop loud pipes being fitted! :D

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Another possibility/angle is - I suspect it is a federal offence to tamper with a factory installed motor vehicle emissions system, depending on the laws where you are. If you are inspected and found to be lacking - you may suddenly have an urgent need for a catalytic converter... :D

Last edited:

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Not in these parts, we have no such inspections, at least in Illinois. Besides who would want to go through the hassle of putting it in back and forth.

Here in Cal it's possible to get pulled over for loud pipes. Happens mostly to Harley types I suspect. But it is possible. Not sure if it's a fix it ticket meaning just put on a system that meets proper sound levels have it inspected by the CHP and they will sign the ticket off with no fine. Or if there is some kind of fine/fee involved. We have no smog or mandatory inspections on motorcycles in Cal yet but it's coming. So if you have the stock stuff just put it on pass the inspection and your good. Then put the after market stuff back on should you choose.

The resale value of the stock stuff is hardly worth the time and effort to sell in most cases. Another situation might be if you get rear ended and need a system to get back on the road..........but that never happens.....

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
$140 for inspection fees and that's all? damn. here its about SGD$500-700 (not sure the exact amount) for illegal pipes, even if its taking out the db killers if caught.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Cal it's possible to get pulled over for loud pipes. Happens mostly to Harley types I suspect. But it is possible. Not sure if it's a fix it ticket meaning just put on a system that meets proper sound levels have it inspected by the CHP and they will sign the ticket off with no fine. Or if there is some kind of fine/fee involved. We have no smog or mandatory inspections on motorcycles in Cal yet but it's coming. So if you have the stock stuff just put it on pass the inspection and your good. Then put the after market stuff back on should you choose.

The resale value of the stock stuff is hardly worth the time and effort to sell in most cases. Another situation might be if you get rear ended and need a system to get back on the road..........but that never happens.....

That's exactly what we do...put the OEM stuff back on for inspection, then go straight back home and put the good stuff back on!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site

It all depends on the area, and what the cops are like there. For the most part, you can run whatever you want and not get any grief for it. It can be one of those "add ons" after getting nailed for something else though. It can be a fix-it ticket, which you either get it signed off and only pay about $30 in "fees", or pay the bail amount, which varies. If you pay the bail, you're done, and can leave the aftermarket stuff on. But it's really expensive. I got popped for no front plate on my car(rookie cop in training), and it would've been $130 for bail! My fear is, on a motorcycle, is that it qualifies as "tampering with emissions equipment", which is nasty. Impounded vehicle on the spot, jail time, and huge fines. Oddly enough, cops seem to just hand out fix-it tickets for that. For now anyways. And only to sport bikes, harley's seem to be exempt. Kind of like how they profile imports, while ignoring american cars and trucks. This not ALWAYS the case of course, but rather the most common occurrence. But, that's the game here! Gotta pay to play sometimes. lol

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hold onto it.. Our "Loud Pipes Save Lives" Harley brothers are causing the politicians and the police to rethink motorcycle exhausts..

Several cities, even here in the Midwest, are issuing tickets for ANY exhaust that isn't stock. Chicago's next!!!

And don't shoot the messenger.. I'm just passing info..

I'm a quiet bike guy.. Personally, I find the louder the bike, the smaller the dick.. Just another attempt at drawing attention to yourself.. I guess I outgrew that trend about 20 years ago.. The loudest bike I now own is my Goldwing, and that's because of the stereo system. My FZ6 exhaust is stock and will remain that way..

Loud pipes are causing people who bitch to politicans to write a lot of letters, which turn into Bills and then into Laws.. Don't be too shocked in the near future when you get a ticket and aren't allowed to operate your motorcycle until the exhaust is returned back to stock.. That'll be an expensive $1400, and a bit painful, too..

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Hold onto it.. Our "Loud Pipes Save Lives" Harley brothers are causing the politicians and the police to rethink motorcycle exhausts..

Several cities, even here in the Midwest, are issuing tickets for ANY exhaust that isn't stock. Chicago's next!!!

And don't shoot the messenger.. I'm just passing info..

I'm a quiet bike guy.. Personally, I find the louder the bike, the smaller the dick.. Just another attempt at drawing attention to yourself.. I guess I outgrew that trend about 20 years ago.. The loudest bike I now own is my Goldwing, and that's because of the stereo system. My FZ6 exhaust is stock and will remain that way..

Loud pipes are causing people who bitch to politicans to write a lot of letters, which turn into Bills and then into Laws.. Don't be too shocked in the near future when you get a ticket and aren't allowed to operate your motorcycle until the exhaust is returned back to stock.. That'll be an expensive $1400, and a bit painful, too..

Hopefully I will be grandfathered in. ;)

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully I will be grandfathered in. ;)

First, I'm not pointing fingers or trying to start an arguement, but in the cities where this has been enacted (for a couple years) there's no Grandfathering.. Just continuous tickets until you don't ride the bike, or get it changed to the exhaust that shows it's EPA legal.

And they're doing sound checks, too..

I figure one of these days I'll actually have to install speakers in my helmet.. You'd be amazed at how loud some songs are on my Wing. ;) And it's a similar issue that faces the loud pipes.. Basically, there's always someone out there that doesn't want to hear it..

Be that loud pipes, or 46 and Two from Tool, played on my Wing.:rockon:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
First, I'm not pointing fingers or trying to start an arguement, but in the cities where this has been enacted (for a couple years) there's no Grandfathering.. Just continuous tickets until you don't ride the bike, or get it changed to the exhaust that shows it's EPA legal.

And they're doing sound checks, too..
QUOTE]

I can guarantee you they are not doing any sound checks here in Chicago, yet. They do have a noise ordinance which applies to sounds from recording device (not exhaust) in which if you can hear it from 75 ft away, the po-po can impound your vehicle.