EU FZ6 (Fazer?) and Stelvio Pass

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last week, during a family trip to Northern Italy/German/Austria, I had two highlights worth sharing (here).

1) While at Eagle's Nest, waiting for the bus to the top, I heard a familiar exhaust note.. and sure enough, it was an FZ6! Rather, the EU version, I think a Fazer? It had the round gauge cluster, but seemed to have some subtle differences. The guy did not speak english, but he understand that I had the same bike. Was great to see it across the pond, but even better... fairly proud of myself for recognizing the sound!

2) I managed to take a day (away from the family) and rented a BMW F900R, and drove 2 hours to do the 29-mile Stelvio Pass (!) Was really fantastic, weather quite cooperative (a little snowflakes at the top). Main they are tight hairpins, and you are sharing this with other bikes, cars, and a ton of bicyclists.... so you are not taking them at high speed by any means. Top of the pass is like a block party, ppl hanging out, all sorts of bikes/scooters, bratwurst stands, tshirt vendors.... quite an experience.

Things of note: BMW Motorrad navigation was incredibly frustrating.... trying to get out of Balzano, it took me to 1) a train station and 2) tried to put me on a bike path. BMW had tons of low-end torque, but seat was pretty hard/uncomfortable after a few hours. But a great time!

DSC01902-COLLAGE.jpgPXL_20230726_095138153.jpg

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool trip, thanks for sharing. I love Germany. Good thinking on renting a motorcycle…I travel a lot and should do this more often (I’ve done it a few times, not enough)

The BMW may have its flaws, but the engineers at BMW who designed it will be happy to tell you why you’re wrong