Finally ran out of gas

They do this so the dirt at the bottom of the tank doesn't get sucked into the tank.

This is something I had heard many times. In doing so I had asked myself how the dirt got there. The fuel delivery pumps have filters and I dang sure didn't put it in there myself. A couple of years ago I switched the peanut tank on my Sporty out for the larger 4.5 gallon tank and while doing so wanted to see if I could find this dirt they spoke of. As it turned out that tank was extremely clean after 16,000 miles of riding. It did however tell me there was actually a bit more than a pint of fuel left in the tank after I had drained it at the switchover valve.

cant geti 40 miles out of it? Strange. I managed 48.6 on the f-trip last time I decided to push it. On a related note, the fz6 is MUCH easyier to push when its out of gas, not nearly as top heavy.

I always find this thread funny.

Usually on bikes it is guess work if you forget to set your trip when you fill up and cannot remember what the trip distance said.

With the FZ6 there is a lovely digital display to show you how much fuel you have left..But we still carry out this test.

Its nice to know how far we can go....just in case.

Steve

I just want to say thanks for testing what i have been pondering. I always wanted to know how far. I usually try to fill up around 10 miles after the f-trip starts to blink.....i never had the guts to really push it.

I know with cars you cannot run your tank dry. I assume bikes are the same way. That is why you could restart it after coasting for awhile. It shook the gas up letting the fuel pump suck it up. They do this so the dirt at the bottom of the tank doesn't get sucked into the tank. So when a manufacture says a tank can hold 4 gallons it can but you can only use 3.75 gallons.
I think the real hazard of running the tank dry is burning up the fuel pump.

I was told by a bike mechanic that the fuel jets for a bike are way less sensitive to running dry then a cars jets.

That aside, something strange happened to my fuel bars. Before I ran my tank dry I usually lose my first fuel bar around the 22 mile mark. Today I went all the way to like 39.4 miles before it dissapeared, then it came back and now at 41 miles I still have full bars.

I wonder if my running the tank dry somehow reset the fuel measuring capability?

I was told by a bike mechanic that the fuel jets for a bike are way less sensitive to running dry then a cars jets.

That aside, something strange happened to my fuel bars. Before I ran my tank dry I usually lose my first fuel bar around the 22 mile mark. Today I went all the way to like 39.4 miles before it dissapeared, then it came back and now at 41 miles I still have full bars.

I wonder if my running the tank dry somehow reset the fuel measuring capability?

Hey teslas, let me know when you get in the 50-60 mile mark for the first bar. Mine has been that way since new. I get to the last two bars around the 140 mark.

Hey HavBlue, I lost hte first bar right after I started up the bike again to head out. So basically at the 41 mile mark my first bar was lost. The next bar was gone around the 75 mile mark or so. Now at about 105 I'm down to only 2 bars...

I guess well see how far I get on the remaining 2.

I love these threads, too! Many places in the Yukon are separated by 150-250km. If you choose bypass a gas station, you're going to need to hitch hike to get some. A lot of the smaller towns (Whitehorse is the Capital "City", you know) have only one gas station. When driving or riding around the Yukon, you never leave the freeway, get back on and then leave again to hit another gas station. If you leave the Alaska Hwy, you're in the dirt!

I wonder on how many miles i will get when i am done doing the conversion kit (15 front and 48 in the rear and a RED CHAIN), I know i will have to get a speed-o-healer.

Back