Future owner of a 2005 FZ6 (maybe)

SethB

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there.

Might be buying a used one and have a few questions.

Here is the bike I am looking at: https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/d/fort-lauderdale-2005-yamaha-fz6/7242758486.html

Definitely not a lot of information is provided. And its kind of far, would hate to just "go look at it". However, I would rather pay for a trailer and not buy it then drive down a few times. Anyway, I know looking at it in person is by far the best option.

However, from the pics, it looks like it is missing the entire cluster and front turn signals?
I am not afraid of the road rash (definitely was laid over, might explain the lack of cluster and cockpit)

All in all, I know it is pretty beat up. Not worried about that. I am very good with a wrench.

What I would like to know from you owners, if I can get it for a decent price, how hard would it be to obtain the proper windshield front setup? What am I looking at in terms of cost? And lastly, what are some common failing points to pay attention to?

I miss riding (last bike got stolen, couldn't afford a new one till now). I will admit, I am also buying one for its MPG. I will not be making this stupid fast. I am also looking at a K-Pip Kymco (2018). Only a 125cc but damn 98mpg.. ha. The only thing keeping me from getting that is the fact its 125cc.. Not too great for highway use (getting to work).

Thanks everyone!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, welcome.

Yes that bike is in quite rough shape. The ad says the odometer reads 8,900....but I don't see an instrument cluster on the bike. It may in fact say 8,900 when connected to the harness...but it was probably a long time ago that the instrument cluster took regular trips with the bike. Too bad, the actual mileage would be good to know.

Yes, that bike more than likely had the front fairing removed during, or because of, an accident. It's not an uncommon mod for someone to remove the fairing from an FZ6. There are many of us that have removed them from un-wrecked bikes because the aerodynamics are just horrible on the OEM fairing. Fairing assemblies do become available from time to time...and they are usually more than $500. Not worth it to get helmet blast and buffeting.

The dude is asking $1,500 for a rat bike. I'd shoot for 1/2 that but be willing to pay $1,000 if it runs well. If it doesn't run well...I'd walk away at any price.

If you re in fact good with a wrench and a paint gun, I think that bike has great potential. If it runs well and you buy it, ask me if I can send you a replacement seat for the cost of shipping....I bet I can.

Let us know how the inspection goes. Look fore blue smoke on a cold start-up. That is a sign of valve issues. Check the end of the exhaust for signs of oil as well. Look for good throttle response. Hook up the cluster to see if the fuel indicator works and if there are any error codes.

AN FZ in good condition is worth $2,500 to $3,000. So if you can get it for $1,000 and put $500 to $1,000 into it you wont be in bad shape. They are fun bikes to ride and the are reliable. Even that unloved bike might have a few good years to give.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1, ^^ no more than $1,000.00 tops.

It's been run hard, if maintained the same, look as deep as you can.

IE, if you have lazer temp gun, check the headers (close to the head), and check temps(make sure all cylinders are firing, temps should be close. (A spritz of water will also let you know if there's a dead cylinder too but not nearly as accurate).

Look inside the tank for rust and just generally run the bike thru the gears, (some thrashing won't hurt it). It should get up and go, especially after 7.000 RPMs.

Might see if he can upload a video on YT of a walk around and of it running, a rev or two and post it here. Might save you a trip..

BTW, installing a new chain and sprockets at 8,900 miles, ah NO... There's way more miles on that bike...

Where r you coming from to go look at the bike? That place is about 3 hours from me (I'm on the south west coast).

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd really shoot for $750. But I'm kind of obsessive and I know I'd put $2000 into it. You can often find a nice clean one for that price. I'll have twice what my FZ is worth into it, but I'm still money ahead compared to replacing it with something comparable. As long as you don't plan to sell it, it doesn't much matter what you put into it if you're riding it.

SethB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies and guidance.. I think I am gonna ignore this one.. haha. I would honestly have to get it for 500 for it to be worth it to me, considering what it needs, how far I have to drive, and the condition it is in. I highly doubt it was well taken care of.

I did however find a nice 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R for sale in the roughly same price range. Has a lot of miles, (18k) but looks like it was taken care of. Won't know anything till I get there.

Thanks though for all the honest and wonderful feedback. It really helped me make a decision! I miss riding and I did not want that to make me go buy something like this without feedback on it first. So thank you all!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably a wise decision. I'd say it's a good parts bike...if I could find parts on it that weren't damaged.

The baby Ninja will get 60-75 mpg, but it will not be happy going down the highway. If 90% of your riding is on back roads or around town you should be fine. If however you will be blasting down the interstate, you might look for a 400cc or greater bike. Even my DRZ400 doesn't complain about 65mph for extended periods.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
for what you would spend in fixing it.. might as well save up and buy a nicer looking one.. that looks like a project.. unless thats what your looking for then yea. these are good project bikes!! good luck!!

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone on a local forum had a pristine '09 with 20K on it that he ended up dropping down to $2200 last year. I think he just kept it in his garage. 600cc inline fours are out, twins and triples are in!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone on a local forum had a pristine '09 with 20K on it that he ended up dropping down to $2200 last year. I think he just kept it in his garage. 600cc inline fours are out, twins and triples are in!

Not in my book....

Had V twins, in line twins, never a triple, LOVE the inline 4, can't beat em..

SethB

Reaction score
Visit site
for what you would spend in fixing it.. might as well save up and buy a nicer looking one.. that looks like a project.. unless thats what your looking for then yea. these are good project bikes!! good luck!!
Thanks everyone!

I am definitely passing on this. I might be getting this one now: https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/d/miami-2015-honda-cb300f-motorcycle/7241265418.html

This looks mint with only 3K miles. I have some Saab gremlins to deal with, which will determine if I buy this or not. Second question - I only have street parking available, what are my best options to keep it secured? I was thinking pad locks on the rotors both front and back. Then a cover to cover the whole thing.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not in my book....

Had V twins, in line twins, never a triple, LOVE the inline 4, can't beat em..

Mine either. I love an inline 4. I never had motorcycles when I was a teenager, but I really wanted one. Hearing a GSX-R or an FZR screaming down the highway on a summer night was so exciting. I think I'll always love that sound.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I am definitely passing on this. I might be getting this one now: https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/d/miami-2015-honda-cb300f-motorcycle/7241265418.html

This looks mint with only 3K miles. I have some Saab gremlins to deal with, which will determine if I buy this or not. Second question - I only have street parking available, what are my best options to keep it secured? I was thinking pad locks on the rotors both front and back. Then a cover to cover the whole thing.

Solid bike...and lots of fun too.

If someone wants to steal the bike, there’s nothing you can to keep them from throwing it in a van...they’ll have bolts cutters with them too. I like a throttle/front brake lock. It keeps people from moving the bike. The bike also has a bar lock, so use that too. Street parking is tough. Always try to park in front of a car of someone you know. They are less likely hit it. Try to not park behind SUV’s and pickups. They can’t see that well behind them...and they are cage drives, so they don’t look anyway.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^^^^.

If you can chain lock it to a solid object even better.

On my past FJR and Goldwing, I did install a Scorpion alarm (high end at the time).
It could be wired to kill ignition, but most importantly, you could set the remote to not only go off but to ALERT you if there was any movement (that was adjustable too), or anyone even NEAR IT, besides activating the horn and lights flashing..

Re disc locks, as Gary said, it can be loaded in seconds (for the pro's). I did also have a disc lock that detected any movement and made a SCRETCHING / super annoying alarm if activated(nothing to install, just attach thru the disc). ...

Just make it as difficult as possible to steal, they may move to an easier target...

Definitly a cover, nothing fancy but HD. As you know, being in WPB, Fl, the sun will quickly take it's toll on the bike..

*That Honda looks sweet and a great deal..

SethB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again everyone!

Definitely will invest in that Scorpio bike lock as well as a disk brake lock. That was my intention with a padlock through the rotors, prevent someone from moving it, but could prolly cause damage.

I definitely like the bike so far, it looks super well taken care of and clean. Won't know till I see it.