Question How to build more power

Aaronbates00

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if it's been posted already and I missed it, feel free to delete If needed but what all is there that can be done to the FZ6? Last bike I rode was about 5 or 6 years ago (cbr600) and it was my buddies so I'm trying to get mine figured out and look to the future of what all I can look forward to as far as build up or performance enhancements for the platform. Currently to the best of my knowledge from working on the bike and fixing the minor issues it had when I bought it the bike has a Dynojet tune already. Other than that I'm not 100% sure if anything else Is already done to it, also not sure where to look first for what routes to go with it.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you looking for in a bike? What about the FZ6 doesn't meet your needs?

Honestly, if the FZ6 doesn't have enough performance for you, a different bike would likely be more cost effective solution. Sure, people have built powerful FZ6 bikes, but with the current value of an FZ6 it's just a money pit. The FZ6 isn't a sport bike - and was never marketed as such. It's a standard...and a budget one at that. It can be improved for sure, especially the suspension. Look at my signature line - all that money and the bike isn't worth a dime more. But with that said I really like the comfort and smoothness of my FZ.

A few weeks ago I spent a weekend riding with friends on some very challenging roads. Everyone but me were on dedicated sport bikes. I'm a front of the pack rider - and no one took that position from me all weekend. But at the end of each day I was the one not complaining about how uncomfortable my bike was. It's not the power of the bike that matters, its the competence of the rider. What is a better way to spend money on motorcycling; $1,000 on power upgrades that you'll lose on resale, or $1,000 on advanced rider training that will follow you to every bike you will ever ride?

But I'm an old guy, so you know...boomers. Right? :)

Aaronbates00

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I apologize if it came across as it's not enough, it was more of a curiosity thing I was looking into it for. Had a buddy of mine make mention as to some stuff that could be done so I was curious as to what was out there. Honestly from the little bit I've ridden it it's honestly been amazing. The only reason I was asking was for potential future. Seeing as it was already tuned with the dynojet I was just wondering if there were any other additions to be made, or other paths to follow. As it sits I love it as it is and have no complaints. Apologize if it came across poorly with the wording I used

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 cents (other than Gary is right)...
- stainless steel brake lines.... big improvement in my mind.
- clutch push lever from an MT07... improves clutch lever feel https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/1WS-16340-00-00
- suspension (as mentioned) - I've stiffer springs/heavier oil in front, and a Wilbers in rear (but suspension costs more $ than 1st two items)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as it was already tuned with the dynojet I was just wondering if there were any other additions to be made, or other paths to follow.
No apologies. I assume you already have an aftermarket exhaust.

Here are some free things that you can do to ensure that the bike is living up to its full potential:
- Make sure the air filter is clean. K&N filters don't make more power than a clean OEM style
- Keep the chain clean and lightly lubricated. Modern O and X ring chains need to be kept clean. A failing chain robs hp to the wheel
- Run quality tires
- Set the sag of your suspension
- make sure that the throttle bodies are sync'd and that they are clean
- make sure that the fuel tank has fresh fuel. If corrosion is allowed to occur you will clog the fuel filter/screen on the fuel pump.

As far as mods, others can give more details but I know some have claimed success with a timing advance.