I road the misses Ninja to work yesterday

S

sportrider

yesterday I road my wifes Ninja 250R to work. I was actually impressed how good it runs on the open road. it had equal power on the freeway to the 883 sportster taching 8000 rpm at 75 mph, 9000 rpm at around 85, and it topped out at an indicated 107 mph at 12500 rpm. I'm not sure if it's because off how lite the bike is or because the tires but, it really seemed to follow the grooves on the expressway from where Cal-trans grinded the road. I may play with the air psi a little to see if that can sooth the nervous feeling from the chassis.

Hey Steve, is that normal on a Ninja 250 ? :Sport:

W

wrightme43

Yes untill you throw the stock tires away.
They suck. BAD!! Like they are not really tires more like rim protectors to get keep the rims from being scratched in transport.

The speedo is 10% off high, its mechanical. When you change to the larger tire it gets to about 5% off.

Its a hella fun bike, but seriously throw the stock tires away. They are a danger to your life.

They are horrible in rain grooves. and with any thing on the pavement.

I really dont like the stock tires.
I have lost traction on the rear at less than 25 degree lean angle, to catch the bike had to stand it up, shot into the oncoming traffic lane, and had there been a car there I would be dead.

I have lost traction on the front in very easy turns. There is no rhyme or reason to it, the tires just lose traction, and try to kill you.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sportrider

the other thread that you wrote saying the stock tires are junk was in my head when I got in the grooves!!! I actually pulled over to check the tires because it felt like I had a rear flat!!!

W

wrightme43

Avon AM63 Viper Stryke
Sizes: 120/80-16, 140/70-16 rear; 100/80-16, 110/70-16 front

This is a new tire for 2006. Our wear tester reports handling and wet performance under various conditions is excellent. Wear is good, especially considering the low price. Sizes tested were the 140/70-16 rear and 110/70-16 front. The lower profile tires have increased the 250's cruising rpm's and the speedometer error (+6% higher), along with a slight lowering of the seat height. The low profile also increases turn in effort and flat ride stability.

There were no fender mods necessary on the front, and no clearance issues for the rear. These are the largest, lowest-profile tires to fit a stock rim. This photo shows swingarm and fender clearances for the 140/70-16 and 110/70-16 on a Ninja 250.

Speed ratings are "P" (continuous 93 mph) for all, except the 110-70-16, which is "S" (112 mph).

Update from our tester: At the wear bears at 9000 miles (rear), which should be acceptable, considering the low price and (quite) aggressive riding pattern of our test subject
These are what I would get, since the super venom is no more. They are not very expensive, and easy to swap over by hand.
I have the link for balance beads that go inside if you want them. 9$ does both front and rear.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Those things are pretty skinny...I would definitely lower the air than standard city riding. I don't do that on my bike but on something like that I would.

W

wrightme43

The pressure is not the problem with those tires IMHO.
They have a center groove that allows the front tire to squirm and track off, plus the rubber is hard like a little red wagon wheel.
Once they are replaced they bike handles very well.
Ex500 or GSXR rear shock helps a bunch
Stronger front springs and a preload spacer makes a big difference as well

S

sportrider

tires are deffidently getting changed out as soon as I get some extra cash!!! I did bump up the air pressure it helped a little but I could feel the front wanting to wash out at relatively slow corner speed at a moderate lean. ( seriously I go threw the same corner daily on the FZ6 20+mph faster) too bad I can't exchange the tires at the dealer for some made out of rubber!!