Interesting New Law in NC

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I was looking at the NC laws the other day, and saw the following law. It became effective on December 1, 2011. I think that this law is good, but I am not sure if it is going to be enforced, unless there is a wreck. What do you all think about it?

G.S. 20-154
"'(a1) A person who violates subsection (a) of this section and causes a motorcycle operator to change travel lanes or leave that portion of any public street or highway designated as travel lanes shall be responsible for an infraction and shall be assessed a fine of not less than two hundred dollars ($200.00). A person who violates subsection (a) of this section that results
in a crash causing property damage or personal injury to a motorcycle operator or passenger shall be responsible for an infraction and shall be assessed a fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500.00).

Here is the link to the law.
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H113v3.pdf

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it. Although, after I beat out his window with one of those impact batons after he makes me leave my travel lane, he will already be spending more than $200 and I might just want to get out of there.....

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Write your representative if you want one too. Or better yet, organize your buddies to get a lot more people to talk to your representatives. Any other Georgia riders on board?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't made a lot of progress on finding how to get attention to this issue. I know a couple of groups that would be good to get involved, but I don't know what process to undertake to get a bill introduced. I don't suppose you have a degree in government, or know any legislators?

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't made a lot of progress on finding how to get attention to this issue. I know a couple of groups that would be good to get involved, but I don't know what process to undertake to get a bill introduced. I don't suppose you have a degree in government, or know any legislators?

Yeah, I bet that most police officers out there do not know about this law, and even if they do I don't think they would do anything if they saw this happen. No, I do not have a degree in government, or know any legislators. I am just an undergrad student majoring in Business with a minor in Criminal Justice, and my girlfriend is in law school. So, I do have an interest in this type of stuff, but I am not sure what you would need to do to get this type of law passed in your area, other than sending letters to your local government.

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
We have a pretty cool law here in Missouri that goes along with that. (I've been looking at them since I just got in a non-fault wreck with a car that pulled out in front of me). Basically it states that no fault can be assigned at the scene of the accident if a motorcycle is involved, regardless if it's obvious or not who is at fault, and a full investigation must be conducted before fault can be assigned. This arose from police and the general public being prejudiced against motorcyclists and assigning blame just because they were on a bike and it was "most likely the biker's fault".