Is HID projector really meant to be used on bikes?

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey. I have ordered an HID Xenon projector and waiting for them to get in to do the install (Degake helping me there). However while I was riding at night yesterday and leaning on a corner, I realised something...

The projector does a clean horizontal cut-off, so all is fine when you ride in a straight line. However when you lean on a corner, the cut-off line will also turn with your bike and actually offer less light on the inside of the corner. The cleaner the cut-off light, the less you get to see in the corners. Unfortunately, the inside of the corner is the most important part while cornering.

On a car with HID, it doesn't matter as the car stays mostly flat. Luxury cars will even turn the headlight to follow the curve while cornering to provide even more usable light.

So maybe that's the reason why motorcycle does not come with HID factory fitted, because it is not meant to be. The headlight would have to rotate itself to stay horizontal to be totally usable and safe. (Who wants to try this advanced mod?)

No? :confused:

i have HID's but I dont have the projector style. they are brighter and have the same area lite up as reg head lights. I can see your point with the projector style though. you might want try it with out the projectors first if you worried about it.

Holy batman, that's exactly what i was talking about! Adaptive headlight for motorcycle! Cudos to BMW on this one.

So how do you retrofit this on the vs-2 ? :rolleyes:

But seriously, ppl that have projectors, how's the light when cornering?

Holy batman, that's exactly what i was talking about! Adaptive headlight for motorcycle! Cudos to BMW on this one.

So how do you retrofit this on the vs-2 ? :rolleyes:

But seriously, ppl that have projectors, how's the light when cornering?

You get used to the cut off light output when cornering :)
And if you really want to hit the twisties at night, just flip to high beam :BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

And if you really want to hit the twisties at night, just flip to high beam :BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

Yep, one of the reasons I don't like living in the US is that we don't get a passing button. On my scooter, which has one, if I find myself deep into a turn and unable to see the character of the insanely lousy pavement in my area, I'll hit the passing button and the world is illuminated. It's weird that my much costlier and fancier motorcycle lacks in this feature in comparison to my budget-oriented Taiwanese ride. Not that the FZ6 isn't a mind-numbing amount of bang for the buck. I'd sell the scoot long before I sold the bike. The mpg (kpl?) difference isn't that significant, even. (2:3?) The GY6 CVT is incredibly inefficient, and scooters don't have catalytic converters. The FZ6 is actually a MORE environmentally conscientious choice for a commute. Oddly.

Grtz,

Degake

I guess you do get used to everything, but it would be nice to have the adaptive headlight. Roads are pretty bad over here, huge potholes appear in 24hours. I don't know how that happens but they do. I am going to give-up on that one though, it seems only BMW is going to have that tech for a while.

I will just add this to one of the inherent risks of riding a motorcycle. Slowing down in corners is still the safest for the time being.

I popped a HID into my cb750. Years back I swapped out the old sealed beam light for a Koito h4 unit with a nice glass lens.
Dropped in a HID and it works very well. The cheap units with plastic lenses do not seem to focus light very well but a quality glass lens such koito or bosch seem to work very well.
Obviously this is only useful on bikes using a regular headlight instead of a fairing.

I guess you do get used to everything, but it would be nice to have the adaptive headlight. Roads are pretty bad over here, huge potholes appear in 24hours. I don't know how that happens but they do. I am going to give-up on that one though, it seems only BMW is going to have that tech for a while.

I will just add this to one of the inherent risks of riding a motorcycle. Slowing down in corners is still the safest for the time being.

Maybe you could install some fog lights (or other aux. lights) together with the HID?
That way, when you hit unfamiliar roads (or roads known to be in bad condition), you can use those to light the spots the cut-off of the HID-projector doesn't cover.

Grtz,

Degake

p.s. As for only BMW having this technology.... Imagine how big (deep) your headlight will have to be to get that mechanism in there :eek: You won't have a naked bike anymore :ban:

So maybe that's the reason why motorcycle does not come with HID factory fitted, because it is not meant to be. The headlight would have to rotate itself to stay horizontal to be totally usable and safe. (Who wants to try this advanced mod?)

Several bikes do. Some years of the R1 did, the Ducati 848 has for several years now. The S1000RR comes with one of each. Etc. I didn't personally have any issue with it not illuminating the corners. Of course I didn't drive like a crazy person at night anyway.

Yep, one of the reasons I don't like living in the US is that we don't get a passing button.

My Monster has one. The GSXRs, R6, R1, etc bikes have come with them for years. The FZ6 is an "entry level" bike and so it doesn't get much in the way of cool stuff. Cruddy suspension, fence post seat, over sized rear tire, car muffler, etc. Not to say it's a bad bike, I loved it when I had it. I just didn't know how much better things could be. :thumbup:

EDIT: Apparently the S100RR doesn't come with a projector. They just hit it with the ugly stick for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
I do notice the cut off when leaning into a turn, but it's not a really big deal. The HID's put out sooooo much more light that the halogen lights, that there's probably more light to the side even with the cutoff. And like another poster said, I usually put the high beams on.

What I keep meaning to do, is adjust the projectors to point a little more to the outside on each side. I have plenty of coverage in the middle, and since the FZ6 has the adjustment capability, I figure a little more light directed to the outside will help.

Back